Page 153 of 241 FirstFirst ... 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 6023
    Quote Originally Posted by vonn View Post
    Kinda in a similar spot to Chunter with reevaluating my skis right now. 160lbs 5'10"

I'm currently skiing with a set of Bonafides, QST 106s, and DPS Koala 119s, all of which feel like pretty 'serious' skis. I'd like to get a more playful ski to replace the QST but that would still cover days with a bit of fresh snow. I ski Stevens Pass mostly and am spending more and more time in the trees jumping off of stuff or hiking the ridge - does the DW 104 seem like it'd be fun for that sort of terrain? Should I just go for the regular DW and use the Bonafide for 4" and under?

I recently demoed some skis when I was at Revy and really enjoyed the Black Crows Atris but know that some people find them to be a bit tame. I'd be interested if anyone has any thoughts about those compared to the DW. I also tried the QST Blank but didn't think they were as fun or easy to flick around, especially in the trees, but that was after 8 days and my shins were pretty torched.

Also looking at Devastators, the Woodsman series or the skinnier WCs (maybe even Enforcers), but really interested in the DWs!
    I was considering an Atris last season, but ended up on a WC108. I'm really happy with the WC108 and I think it's more similar to the Atris than the DW is. The WC108 is definitely stiffer than the Atris though, so if you wanted more stability it'll probably give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I was considering an Atris last season, but ended up on a WC108. I'm really happy with the WC108 and I think it's more similar to the Atris than the DW is. The WC108 is definitely stiffer than the Atris though, so if you wanted more stability it'll probably give you that.
    I’ve owned both of these skis and can confirm. WC 108’s have a much higher speed limit.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Nah, just a dude who loves to ski and happens to really dig the Mfree108.
    Deathwish is quicker, lighter and more playful. Less damp not quite as loose. They can charge it’s just that the light weight and lack of dampness makes them less inspiring. They feel like toys. Super fun ski tho!

Mfree108. Feels longer, more damp, more monster truck with some trophy truck fun thrown in. Slower edge to edge yet can still lay trenches. Heavier swing weight. Gets loose much easier.
    If you don’t jive with a pretty center mounted ski then Mfree.
    Bottom line. If you’re focus is on more playful then DW. If more chargy with some playfulness then Mfree. If money and quiver doesn’t matter then both! I could honestly see both just for fun. If some come up cheap enough I will probably grab a set for the fuck of it.
    Thanks for the input. I'm after that illusive playful charger, seems like the DW104 is lacking a little bit in the charger category but not sure if I'll get along with the more rear mount of the mfree. Maybe I'll just stick with my jeffery. Or do a DW104 + Jeff118/Mfree118/BG/Woods118 and have a fun ski and a chargerier ski. Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm after that illusive playful charger, seems like the DW104 is lacking a little bit in the charger category but not sure if I'll get along with the more rear mount of the mfree. Maybe I'll just stick with my jeffery. Or do a DW104 + Jeff118/Mfree118/BG/Woods118 and have a fun ski and a chargerier ski. Decisions
    There is a few of us locally with Mfree’s. What is your BSL?
    The mount is still very progressive on the Mfree. It’s maybe -2 of the moment DW104.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    There is a few of us locally with Mfree’s. What is your BSL?
    The mount is still very progressive on the Mfree. It’s maybe -2 of the moment DW104.
    327 and GW soles if that matters. That'd be rad if I could take em for a spin. Ah you're right, I am seeing now the DW104 is a cm back farther than the regular DW and the mfree is on the progressive side. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Those skis you listed all seem like good options for a charger ski.

That said, for a charger to pair with a DW104, the Wildcat should also be on your consideration list. It is way more stout and damp than the DW. It charges hard and still pivots and slashes easily after detuning the tails.

It won't deflect in crud, which is super confidence inspiring for deep days or days when you don't want to care about what is underneath modest amounts of new snow.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Mike Rogers, cazdog, anybuddy got more to say on the Commander Tours?
    I am satisfied with them so far, but I'm still mostly touring on the Deathwish Tour.

The DWT is a bit lighter, floats better, and is more fun in trees and slower speeds. I bought the Commander Tours for the Banff/Yoho rockies and alpine, but have spent most of my mid winter days in Rogers Pass....great tree skiing or some big vert alpine days that favor the DWT.

I really like the Commanders with 20cm of fresh and a bit of room to play. They're work in deep, heavy snow and tighter trees but perform really well in choppy skied out lines and in the sidecountry around KH on firmer days.

The skis are much stronger than the DWT and I think they're going to be a lot of fun on non-skimo spring days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I’ve owned both of these skis and can confirm. WC 108’s have a much higher speed limit.
    I thought the Atris could get a little squirrely at the high end so that's good to hear, how playful does the WC108 feel compared to the Atris?

Also wondering whether the DW is versatile enough to cover the same space as a mid-fat ski with its bigger waist. 112 seems big for day to day, esp. compared to the QST I've been skiing, but a lot of people don't seem to mind the bigger size even in mixed conditions.

I thought the Atris could get a little squirrely at the high end so that's good to hear, how playful does the WC108 feel compared to the Atris?

Also wondering whether the DW is versatile enough to cover the same space as a mid-fat ski with its bigger waist. 112 seems big for day to day, esp. compared to the QST I've been skiing, but a lot of people don't seem to mind the bigger size even in mixed conditions.
    I don't have enough experience with both skis to say too much about the Atris but the WC108 is plenty of fun to me - it's really easy to ski, it pivots well, and it's as forgiving as anything else I've been on. That said, it does better the faster you ski - it's pretty stiff. I haven't really found the speed limit on it with my own skiing yet, the ski is definitely more capable than I am but it isn't punishing or inaccessible by any means.

The DW absolutely could cover that mid-day space no problem.

I have over 300 days on 190 DW. If I had one ski for the rest of my life and I wasn't moving (I live in Cottonwood Heights, UT) there would be no better 1 ski quiver for me. I'm sure most of the DW fanboys and many at the moment factory would agree. If I lived EC then maybe a 104.

WC 108 is still pretty playful but they do like a little more speed to come alive.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I continue to be impressed with the Commander Tour. The nearest equivalent I can think of by way of comparison is the Mindbender 99ti. The Cmdr is definitely lighter, and potentially even more stable (but I do ski the MB99ti in 177cm, the Cmdr in 182).

I dont think Id use the Cmdr in deeper powder, but that's what the Wildcats are for. I've skied extensively on the Wildcat Tour 108, and the Cmdr is a vastly superior ski in every way (if you are a directional skier). I never got along with the Deathwish, and I think the Wildcat Tour is a much better ski than the 108 version...something changes in the geometry, and I think the shorter turn radius on the 108 isnt as good on firmer snow.

Alright I caved and bought a DW, really looking forward to trying it out before the season is out. Going to keep an eye out for something in the Wildcat series too, thanks for the tips!

Another spectacular day on the dw 104s turning a mediocre snow day into a more funner day high on the smiles per hour meter

Moment Skis Discussion

You guys hear about price increases from moment for next year? Was talking with a local shop and they are expecting an increase from all brands next year and the small guys are going to be the most hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jbrine; 03-13-2022 at 06:54 PM.
    "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story." Warren M

There probably will be, can't say how much though. Scott from ON3P mentioned there would be on a Blister podcast episode as well.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I'd defer to Melee on most recent Deathwish as I haven't been on the beefed up version, but I wouldn't put anyone who is a strong skier but is >200# on an older DW, even the 190.
    I have this years OG V3. I am not the best skier in the world by any means but I am physically quite strong and between 220-230 lbs. I haven't had an issue with stability.

I’m 5’11”, 160lbs and have been skiing this year’s 184 DWs. Got them as a do-everything travel ski that I can also tour on and they’re the best ski I’ve been on for a combination of very firm snow, moguls, chop, and powder.

Edge grip is amazingly good for a 112mm ski and they pivot great in tight spots. They prefer making turns in powder to super high speeds, but they float pretty well and the tails release nicely with all the taper.

I do wonder whether I’d prefer the 190s at my size in chop, as that’s where the relatively short length and light weight are most noticeable to me. They prefer making turns and an active style to straightling through everything, but I don’t mind dialing the speed down a bit given how good their performance is over a wide range of conditions.

That said, for anyone much bigger than me, 190 seems the right call, and I probably would’ve gone for the 190s myself if I wasn’t planning to tour on them + use them frequently on hard snow days and in tight moguls.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So I bought some wildcat 190's (2019/2020) here in SLC on KSL, mounted on the line. Had Level1 Millcreek do a tune (which I thought included detuning tips and tails) but since I've got them i've been trying to detune the tips, as on anything but true pow the tips are grabby/hooky, not confidence inspiring on groomers (scary actually). I did two runs with them Saturday AM, could not seem to get them on edge without the tips feeling sketchy, swapped out to my 185 Cochise and it was night and day difference in terms of stability and confidence on hard snow.
    SoulSkier recommended 1/1 base/side bevel and detune down to contact point of ski to the floor. Any other recommendations?
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by K1mJ0ngTr1ll View Post
    I have this years OG V3. I am not the best skier in the world by any means but I am physically quite strong and between 220-230 lbs. I haven't had an issue with stability.
    I'm 6'1 205lbs (without gear on) and I ski the 184 DWT (I exclusively tour) and I've not experienced any real stability issues once I found the balance point of the ski.

It means for me staying off the shovels a bit more than I was used to. But once I kept that neutral over the arches stance and didn't try to ski them like they were designed to be a high speed bulldozer I haven't had any problems.

Sure their top end isn't as high as something more traditionally mounted and less rockered. But I've found it to be as stable as I need them to be even when running high speed laps in less than ideal snow.

Re price increases: any company who builds their product in the US - and sells mostly direct - who doesn't raise prices over the next 12 months is probably headed out of business.

Even just keeping up with inflation requires it, let alone supply chain issues and material cost increases.

Let's help all these guys who are 'doing it right' stay in good shape without complaining about them doing what it takes to make it in the long run.

If the new sticks feel too spendy there's always gearswap!

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    So I bought some wildcat 190's (2019/2020) here in SLC on KSL, mounted on the line. Had Level1 Millcreek do a tune (which I thought included detuning tips and tails) but since I've got them i've been trying to detune the tips, as on anything but true pow the tips are grabby/hooky, not confidence inspiring on groomers (scary actually). I did two runs with them Saturday AM, could not seem to get them on edge without the tips feeling sketchy, swapped out to my 185 Cochise and it was night and day difference in terms of stability and confidence on hard snow.
    SoulSkier recommended 1/1 base/side bevel and detune down to contact point of ski to the floor. Any other recommendations?
    1/1 is the standard tune from Moment for these I believe. I have my WC108s at 1/1 and my WC at 1/2 base/edge. Both need to be detuned. I detuned mine to a couple cm from the contact points and then run a single pass of the gummi stone down the whole length to remove burrs and get a little more looseness. Both skis pivot well with this done.

Thanks, I hit the tips and tails 1cm inboard from contact points with a file and diamond stone tonight, hopefully that does the trick

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Moment Skis Discussion

Anyone in here put tele bindings on the meridian? And how did they ski?