Page 59 of 237 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 5906
    I appreciate the input and I should probably just demo them. I just wish other manufacturers could list effective edges to at least give some frame of reference for how long skis may feel (I know Moment does). For example, I'm measuring the effective edge (length between the two widest points of the ski) on the Atris as being 1473mm with a 20m radius. If moment uses the same definition for their effective edge measurement, the Commander 108 in 188 is 1445mm with 21.5m radius. This makes me lean toward the 188...

Replaced my 187 Meridian Tours today. I'll probably list them here in a few days but figured I'd post here in case anyone is looking for some. Thinking around $300, they are well used but perfectly skiable, mounted 1x for dynafits and a 315bsl.

Demo if possible.

I think effective edge is an ‘okay’ way of seeing how long a ski feels but there are a lot of other factors. Mount point, rocker profile and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    I appreciate the input and I should probably just demo them. I just wish other manufacturers could list effective edges to at least give some frame of reference for how long skis may feel (I know Moment does). For example, I'm measuring the effective edge (length between the two widest points of the ski) on the Atris as being 1473mm with a 20m radius. If moment uses the same definition for their effective edge measurement, the Commander 108 in 188 is 1445mm with 21.5m radius. This makes me lean toward the 188...

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    The 108 is a blast to ski, charges hard and just wants to go fast. Carves well in crud and can rail an edge at speed. I am 6' 190 and was on the 188 when I tried it out. Had them mount +1 and it was fun as hell.
    Skied tight trees and long open groomers on a day with about 4" around the mountain. Perfect ski for the day. Would highly recommend!

Good to know ^ Looks like a demo is in order. Another thing of note is I’ll be using my Hawx XTD 130 which you can push hard for a touring boot but isn’t a plush/damp alpine boot when it comes to skiing hard and fast in the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiWiedmer View Post
    The 108 is a blast to ski, charges hard and just wants to go fast. Carves well in crud and can rail an edge at speed. I am 6' 190 and was on the 188 when I tried it out. Had them mount +1 and it was fun as hell.
    Skied tight trees and long open groomers on a day with about 4" around the mountain. Perfect ski for the day. Would highly recommend!
    While I know the Wildcat 108 is the "playful" charger ski in the 108 size, is the Commander all business or does it have any playfulness to it? It definitely fits my skiing style, but I would like a ski that likes looking for some side hits and not just slay the fall line 100% of the time.

trying to make the shift brakes fit a bit better on my wildcats 108.
    what is the best way to bent the brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    While I know the Wildcat 108 is the "playful" charger ski in the 108 size, is the Commander all business or does it have any playfulness to it? It definitely fits my skiing style, but I would like a ski that likes looking for some side hits and not just slay the fall line 100% of the time.
    Would recommend the WC 108 if you are looking for more play. I had that ski and traded it away to a buddy for a Meridian set up. The Commander 108 has some playfulness to it but it is not in the realm of the WC 108. I was only able to ski it for a few runs, but I was charging on it and taking smaller rock drops on the skis. It did not feel like it wanted to jibb around like the WC 108 did. To me the Commander just felt like it wanted to blast through crud and eat the mountain for breaky lunch and dinner. Which was enjoyable HAHA!!

I had about 15 days on the WC 108, super fun ski but just did not fit in the quiver like I wanted it too. But the ski did well on groomers/crud/anything with a little snow on it and all the way to 6" of POW. That the most I got it out in. Moment crushed it with the ski build. Stoke was always high when I was on WC 108, the day always turned into looking for what ever I could to jibb and jump off of.

The 108 pretty much the choice for the west coast over the C98? I like skiing moguls on some runs, but the 188, 108 seems like a lot for that.

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    The 108 pretty much the choice for the west coast over the C98? I like skiing moguls on some runs, but the 188, 108 seems like a lot for that.
    If it's your only ski, you'll get use to it for the most part. Only time that 1cm really becomes noticeable is when you have a quiver. Pick the one that tickles your fantasy.

Just wrapped 6 straight days on the wct108 190 in jh/backcountry. Bought these as a 50/50 travel ski and did just that.

Day 0 - skis shipped to the Airbnb, buddy who works at hoback mounted up the shifts at factory suggested mount point (-6), detuned the tip and tail and stripped some of the excess factory wax.

Day 1 (Thursday) - 9-14" of cold dust on crust at the resort, snowing all day. Got second box and lapped sublette. Interesting getting used to the more forward mount point but it didn't take too long. Loved the light skis as I'm always hunting the tight trees and could change course at the speed of thought. 190 length was the perfect choice for me at 6'2" 185, didn't find any scenarios where I felt I needed shorter.

Day 2 - Deep resort powder day, second box again and fell in love with the skis in the deep stuff. Highlight of the day was a morning hoback charge, nearly waist deep in places. Noticed the excellent suspension of the skis. As things crudded up later on it was tough, visibility was bad and when we were relegated to the main thoroughfares I hated it, not the skis fault though.

Day 3 - Lapping trees off of mail cabin, skis skinned great and was pleasantly surprised to have no issues with the shifts after learning the operation quirks. Skis performed beautifully in the deeeeep snow. Was a little manky but the skis charged through.

Day 4 - "rest day" hitting some groomers, love them on a soft groomer, good edge hold and stability at speed. Sure it's a touring ski but it performed damn well. Hit the headwall around noon and skied Casper bowl, some more challenging snow but I prefer the light playful character to what most would want in these conditions (a heavy charger)

Day 5 - Hit Avi bowl and more tree laps in the day 3 location. Avi was prime with cold and fresh snow. These things were made for bouncing turns in the pow, unreal.

Day 6 - booted glory into snowshoe bowl. Solid run and the skis handled alternating slab and crust in some sections. Headed to resort to check out corbets and found cold and terrible conditions skis did okay but I would pin the performance on a weary driver.

Flying with the skis back to the east coast today. Will report on how they fare in our much different Backcountry conditions after a few days out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Just jumping back in with my regular "The Deathwish Tour is the greatest ski ever!" gushing. Been touring a bunch, in a wide variety of conditions, in some more committing lines this winter, and I haven't had a day when I haven't come out the exit of the line gushing about how much I love this thing. So intuitive. So great. The best ever.

Sometimes, on long boring approaches, I wonder to myself "would a PB&Death Tour be even better for more mountaineer-y missions?" And then I get to the top and drop in and realize it doesn't matter because the DWT is so good.

Photo of a buddy with his WCT108 since nobody takes pictures of me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08936-2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	315472

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Just jumping back in with my regular "The Deathwish Tour is the greatest ski ever!" gushing. Been touring a bunch, in a wide variety of conditions, in some more committing lines this winter, and I haven't had a day when I haven't come out the exit of the line gushing about how much I love this thing. So intuitive. So great. The best ever.

Sometimes, on long boring approaches, I wonder to myself "would a PB&Death Tour be even better for more mountaineer-y missions?" And then I get to the top and drop in and realize it doesn't matter because the DWT is so good.
    Exactly how I feel about my WCT108s. Touring ski perfection.

For those that have skied both the 184 and the 190 version of the wildcat 108, how pronounced are the differences in maneuverability / stability between them?

Man I just had my first proper Colorado powder day on my Wildcat 184s (after skiing them for 7 days on variable conditions in Canada) and it was awesome. These things rip - I'm super happy with 'em. I have a bad feeling this is the start of spending lots of money on Moment skis... DWT in my future -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    Man I just had my first proper Colorado powder day on my Wildcat 184s (after skiing them for 7 days on variable conditions in Canada) and it was awesome. These things rip - I'm super happy with 'em. I have a bad feeling this is the start of spending lots of money on Moment skis... DWT in my future -_-
    Im afraid you are correct, after getting the bibby and riding those for a couple of years I ended up getting the PB&J after and then wildcat 108 this year....

I have a bad feeling this is the start of spending lots of money on Moment skis...
    Felt that way the first couple times I got on my moments.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Same, Sunday and Monday were my first legit powder days on my Wildcat 190s.

Pretty much convinced me that I need to get the Wildcat 108s next.

cydwit - have you ridden both the DWT and the WCT108s? I assuming that the DWT has a bit better hard snow performance due to the triple camber but any significant differences between the 2 that I should be aware of besides a slightly longer EE and turn radius?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    cydwit - have you ridden both the DWT and the WCT108s? I assuming that the DWT has a bit better hard snow performance due to the triple camber but any significant differences between the 2 that I should be aware of besides a slightly longer EE and turn radius?
    Yeah... but only briefly. So take all the grains of salt. I'm a hardcore Deathwish guy, and the WC has never made me feel like the DW does, so for me, that weird combo of really strong edge grip in crap snow, and easy pivotability with the DW trumps all. That said, I LOVED the WCT 116, and want to get another pair someday, and did really enjoy the WCT 108 as well. You can't go wrong with either.

I'd say the breakdown is:

Like triple camber, want something wider than 110 underfoot, aren't afraid to be a badass? DWT all day

Never skied triple camber, live somewhere with a little less snow, have any trepidations at all about the DW vibe? WCT 108.

You're choosing between two awesome skis, can't lose.

cydwht - Just snagged a standard DW for resort use but will probably quiver kill it for some tech binders and use it at my travel ski. Any thoughts on if you'd go forward or back with the inserts for the tech binders?

I think my other post got lost in the Jerry filter.

What's up with the varying reports of the drivability of the WC108? It seems some here are saying the WC108 is a fulltime centered ride? I'm looking at the 190s, so maybe those give a bit more on that end or should be considering the Commander 108s?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    To follow up on Cy's reply, also keep in mind that despite the DW having triple camber and which "seemingly" provides more grip underfoot, the Wildcat has more effective edge and is slightly stiffer flex providing a more stable platform overall.

My daily drivers Bibby/Wildcats and Wildcat 108s, and have 4 days on the Deathwish (which I sold after those 4 days). In my opinion for hard snow performance, I would take more effective edge and stiffer flex than triple camber ALL DAY.

If you are familiar with the car term "there's no replacement, for displacement", I'm a believer that this is a similar situation, and there's no replacement for flex and effective edge. Grip under foot is different than grip all the way out on the contact points.

I'm not entirely shitting on triple camber, I think the Deathwish is one of the best one ski quivers ever made, but there other things to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    To follow up on Cy's reply, also keep in mind that despite the DW having triple camber and which "seemingly" provides more grip underfoot, the Wildcat has more effective edge and is slightly stiffer flex providing a more stable platform overall.

My daily drivers Bibby/Wildcats and Wildcat 108s, and have 4 days on the Deathwish (which I sold after those 4 days). In my opinion for hard snow performance, I would take more effective edge and stiffer flex than triple camber ALL DAY.

If you are familiar with the car term "there's no replacement, for displacement", I'm a believer that this is a similar situation, and there's no replacement for flex and effective edge. Grip under foot is different than grip all the way out on the contact points.

I'm not entirely shitting on triple camber, I think the Deathwish is one of the best one ski quivers ever made, but there other things to consider.

All good points!

And a lot of it comes down to your style/terrain. If I'm opening it up and making big turns, it's in good snow, and the DW is plenty for as fast as I want to ski. But a lot of my skiing is tight, small turns in couloirs with variable snow, and in those conditions, I think the DWT pivots a lot better. For me, the best thing about triple camber is how it makes it easy to initiate turns in committing terrain, smoothly. If that's less of a priority, the WCT probably makes more sense. I want less grip way out front at my contact points, and more underfoot. Your own style will dictate which makes you more happy.

Anyone know what skis are on the far left of the picture? They were listed as "Moment skis" for $180. Any guesses on the length too in comparison to the snowboards. I'd guess they're on the shorter side

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk