Page 163 of 242 FirstFirst ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 6026
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
    That sounds like a dream quiver. I did not really got along with the Fatcat but I love my regular Deathwish so much that I wonder how the DW104 would do. This season I decided to give a shot at the line blade to have something really different.
    What did you not like about the WC?

Moment Skis Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    What did you not like about the WC?
    I get why people love it but I am probably mot as a rad skier as most people here and I found that it was a lot of work in tight spaces or moguls and needed a decent amount of speed to come alive. I liked it in wide open bowls but less so when hunting for pow in glades.
    Last edited by Flippo; 08-17-2022 at 07:30 PM.

I was about to pull the trigger on some J Skis masterblasters but someone mentioned I should check out the Wildcat/Deathwish. I know y'all love them so I wonder if anyone has any comparisons?

The masterblaster has metal, and I've been told its a fantastic all around and crud-charger. But I've heard the same thing about the deathwish. Primarily looking for a crusty west coast resort ski that can also do some sidecountry shit on not so great days.

If you like damp metal skis, Masterblaster. It's not as lively/poppy, and it's slower in the area than the DW. Comes down to preference.

I'd compare weights if you plan on sidecountry involving any uphill. MB is heavy.

How are WCT (118) owners finding that ski when you end up on it in the resort?

I am toying with the idea of mounting that for resort use, to serve as a mellow pow-day ski. Storm days, trees, days skiing low angle pow with the kids. Old man stuff.

I know it's the wrong tool for the job for a full-on resort killer, but seems like it might be cool for that use, if you have something heftier for more charge-y days.

I know people who do it and they love it. For me I can't imagine having an inbound worthy binding on mine. I think they have the perfect power to weight ration for my wasatch bc duties. I'm bounds I love the weight and performance of a traditional moment core.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    I know people who do it and they love it. For me I can't imagine having an inbound worthy binding on mine.
    Are you more rad than them (the ones who love it) or less rad?

How are WCT (118) owners finding that ski when you end up on it in the resort?

I am toying with the idea of mounting that for resort use, to serve as a mellow pow-day ski. Storm days, trees, days skiing low angle pow with the kids. Old man stuff.

I know it's the wrong tool for the job for a full-on resort killer, but seems like it might be cool for that use, if you have something heftier for more charge-y days.
    IMHO, the OG Deathwish is what you are looking for. It's the best mellow pow day ski that I've ever been on. It effortlessly turns and pivots and smears even at low speed on mellow terrain but it is damp enough to deal with end of day crud when needed.

Wildcats are more damp and chargy and need more energy to come alive in my experience. I haven't been on the WCT, but I'd imagine it is like a lighter version of the WC meaning probably almost at stiff but less damp. I'd bet the DW is a better low effort old man ski than the WCT.

Edit to add- my current moment quiver is DW for mellow pow days or pow in tighter terrain, WC for charging inbound and sidecountry on deep days, DW104 for low tide and DWT for backcountry days.

^^^Thanks. I have had the DW a couple of times - I just never fully clicked with it. Not sure why. I wanted to (hence trying it twice) but I could never quite make it work.

Are you more rad than them (the ones who love it) or less rad?
    Ha, I'm 6 feet tall weigh 165. I tour and ski inbounds on the shift 130 boot. I have broke many pairs of bindings in my past. I ski a hight din and like to ski my 190 moments at a high rate of speed.

The two people who ski them inbounds have no issues skiing pins inbounds. I consider that a non starter. One of them is a freeride coach with an insane radness score with lots of gnar points. He does lots backflips off of rocks. On an afternoon of a pow day I'm at the lift before him. He probably weights 20 pounds less and skis 179s.

I have more than regretted not buying a pair of WCs that were pretty much given away by a local shop here this past winter, so I just made a silly purchase. Another local preferred dealer had some 21/22 WCtours in 190 for sale, and I thought they + Castified Pivots would make for a fun experiment. They should measure in at something like 186 straight pull and be a bit rounder in their flex than the stock versions, so they should def be interesting to try them at 175/70kg. I've been wanting to try something like BC120s for a while, just with a less (if still) progressive mount point.

Hell, I might buy my old WC108s back from the guy I sold them to too, I am really curious to try that ski with Pivots

Def not where I thought this day was going, but I am trying to convince myself that buying Noctas is a terrible idea - so I just end up buying alternatives instead - happy times.

edit to add: the reason I wanted to try 190 WCtours was to get a bit more ski in front of the binding relative to the front than the regular WC (I know it is all in the rockered section) and try the longer length. The standard version 190 is way too much ski for me, so thought that perhaps the WCtour might be more appropriate I remember the 108 tour being a lot rounder than the standard layup (whih itself isn't super stiff) so why not eh
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 08-26-2022 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks for the feedback doods - I ordered the standard fatcat and the DW104 to give that a spin. I think that'll work great as a 2-ski quiver for my needs.

Melee: it's cool to see your finish quality just getting better and better. Not that there was anything wrong with it before, but this year's sticks seem leveled-up. Stoked for you guys.

Thanks for the feedback doods - I ordered the standard fatcat and the DW104 to give that a spin. I think that'll work great as a 2-ski quiver for my needs.

Melee: it's cool to see your finish quality just getting better and better. Not that there was anything wrong with it before, but this year's sticks seem leveled-up. Stoked for you guys.
    I just put an order in for the DW104s as well. For what is going to be a 20 ski quiver if I don't calm down.

It's a sound strategy. The "fun gained" to "money lost" ratio isn't too bad over time.

Anyone use 120mm ATK Brakes on Deathwish tour? Moment recommends 108 but say 120 can work with a bit of overhang

Been meaning to ask TGR about DWT de-tuning.

I’ve had about half a season on my pair, and they seem to be a little jarring on hard snow - like chattery / skipping rapidly through the apex of a turn. I understand part of the charm of triple camber is it’s edge hold, but I was getting pretty exhausted skiing these in anything moderately steep.

I’ve read through much of this thread, and it seems like people suggest detuning the tips but leaving the tails and underfoot edges alone.

Anyone have other suggestions before I attack with the gummi stone?

I’ll be honest— I always want to participate in hypothetical threads about ski design but I get freaked out by triple camber. I can’t imagine it.

What’s the hype? Why is Moment the only one doing it?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post

I’ve had about half a season on my pair, and they seem to be a little jarring on hard snow - like chattery / skipping rapidly through the apex of a turn. I understand part of the charm of triple camber is it’s edge hold, but I was getting pretty exhausted skiing these in anything moderately steep.

I’ve read through much of this thread, and it seems like people suggest detuning the tips but leaving the tails and underfoot edges alone.

My regular DWs came detuned from the factory to the widest points in the tips and tails, so if yours isn't detuned that far, go crazy with a file + gummi.

The first couple days, I did notice a slightly slower feel while on edge on firm snow on the DWs, exactly what Blister described in their review. I don't notice it anymore, though, and never felt it to be chattery / skipping.

I had similar issues on my DWT and then detuned fairly aggressively from the mid point in the contact area in front of the camber pockets to the ends of the skis. So basically a little bit before the rocker rise starts and found it made a big difference.

Better slarving, tracked better through the turn in junked up snow. More stable in rough snow overall. And still had all the edge grip I needed when I wanted it. Definitely detune the rockered portions of the DW/DWT

As for Triple Camber. It is legit. Edge hold in firm steeps on a 112mm ski better than partners on sub 100mm skis.

The DW is as close as in my opinion as anyone can get to a true do it all quiver of one

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    I had similar issues on my DWT and then detuned fairly aggressively from the mid point in the contact area in front of the camber pockets to the ends of the skis. So basically a little bit before the rocker rise starts and found it made a big difference.

Better slarving, tracked better through the turn in junked up snow. More stable in rough snow overall. And still had all the edge grip I needed when I wanted it. Definitely detune the rockered portions of the DW/DWT

As for Triple Camber. It is legit. Edge hold in firm steeps on a 112mm ski better than partners on sub 100mm skis.

The DW is as close as in my opinion as anyone can get to a true do it all quiver of one

So you detuned the entire ski? Did you skip the camber pockets? Not sure I follow.

Regarding the de-tune, did you use a Diamond stone / file or keep it really mellow with a Gummi?

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I have more than regretted not buying a pair of WCs that were pretty much given away by a local shop here this past winter, so I just made a silly purchase. Another local preferred dealer had some 21/22 WCtours in 190 for sale, and I thought they + Castified Pivots would make for a fun experiment. They should measure in at something like 186 straight pull and be a bit rounder in their flex than the stock versions, so they should def be interesting to try them at 175/70kg. I've been wanting to try something like BC120s for a while, just with a less (if still) progressive mount point.

Hell, I might buy my old WC108s back from the guy I sold them to too, I am really curious to try that ski with Pivots

Def not where I thought this day was going, but I am trying to convince myself that buying Noctas is a terrible idea - so I just end up buying alternatives instead - happy times.

edit to add: the reason I wanted to try 190 WCtours was to get a bit more ski in front of the binding relative to the front than the regular WC (I know it is all in the rockered section) and try the longer length. The standard version 190 is way too much ski for me, so thought that perhaps the WCtour might be more appropriate I remember the 108 tour being a lot rounder than the standard layup (whih itself isn't super stiff) so why not eh
    My $0.02, the 190 WCTs just aren't enough ski to put pivots on for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
    My $0.02, the 190 WCTs just aren't enough ski to put pivots on for myself.
    yeah, we'll see once they arrive.

A 186cm ski at 1900gr shouldn't be a noodle - especially give my weight/height. While they will not have the same umph as the regular version, they should be up to the task I am wanting them for - a playful, lighter charger for traversing missions in soft snow / untracked where I want camber for extra grip, and to be a bit more easy to play around on. Or in other words, a more dirctional and more capable Bent 120esque ski.

The plan is to test them back to back with vision118s.

Quote Originally Posted by vermontana View Post
    Anyone use 120mm ATK Brakes on Deathwish tour? Moment recommends 108 but say 120 can work with a bit of overhang
    I run 120s on a DWT. Hold the skis okay but 108 would def work better. No issues on the down. Go 108 if you have the option but 120s will work.

So you detuned the entire ski? Did you skip the camber pockets? Not sure I follow.

Regarding the de-tune, did you use a Diamond stone / file or keep it really mellow with a Gummi?
    From the blue line towards the red area is what I detuned. Used a file.
    Name:  Screenshot_20220902-172846.png
Views: 873
Size:  155.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    From the blue line towards the red area is what I detuned. Used a file.
    Name:  Screenshot_20220902-172846.png
Views: 873
Size:  155.8 KB
    You are a gentleman and scholar.