Page 18 of 241 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cladragon04 View Post
    Opinions on the commander series?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Been running the 98 in 178cm this season. It’s the first sub 185’ish ski I’ve felt comfortable with. They charge, carve & slice at hi speeds - it’s an all there stick. They do demand a certain level of commitment. The pic above is at stupid SuperG speeds on manky crud. They haul. My 182 Jaguar Sharks are more mellow, yet actually straightline about the same at 116mm vs 98mm. I’ve got em mounted -1cm.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    So...any reason you’d buy the 108 Commander?
    Because they fucking rip. Very versatile with tons of energy.

Would love to hear a head to head comparison with somebody who has experience on both the Comm 108 and Wildcat 108

cuz METAL
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Because they fucking rip. Very versatile with tons of energy.

Would love to hear a head to head comparison with somebody who has experience on both the Comm 108 and Wildcat 108
    Sruffian offered some of that perspective and that’s why I asked - the only reasons I can think you would want the Commander over the Wildcat have to do with firm snow. The Wildcat 108 is reportedly pretty good there so I think you’d need to place a high premium on firm specifically to want the commander.

Sruffian offered some of that perspective and that’s why I asked - the only reasons I can think you would want the Commander over the Wildcat have to do with firm snow. The Wildcat 108 is reportedly pretty good there so I think you’d need to place a high premium on firm specifically to want the commander.
    Sruffian said he had one lap on the Commander 108. That’s not exactly an all condition comparison. The Commander 108 shines in crud and junky snow and is shockingly good in powder too. A deep dive comparison vs the Wildcat 108 is what I was talking about.

Definitely! If you value traditional directional charging significantly more than jibbing and spinning the commander is a no brainer.

Though admittedly I have limited experience on commander

Does the metal increase the longevity of the ski core characteristics?

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Sruffian said he had one lap on the Commander 108. That’s not exactly an all condition comparison. The Commander 108 shines in crud and junky snow and is shockingly good in powder too. A deep dive comparison vs the Wildcat 108 is what I was talking about.
    I don’t know if you trust Blister, but they seem not to have gotten along with the Commander 108 in junky snow. I haven’t skied it so no view personally. It is light enough I would be surprised if it was a high level chop destroyer, so Blister’s comment kind of makes sense to me.

Doubt anyone not employed by Moment is in a position to deep dive the heavy Wildcat 108 but you are of course right that sruffian’s comment is not that.

Based on how much I like the touring core version there’s a decent chance I’d buy the Wildcat 108 anyway, but when I tried to think of what I might be missing with the commander all that came up was firm honestly.

Interested in the collectives advice on the quiver. My inbounds skiing is done mostly at solitude with a few ikon trips...I have never been on a moment freestyle ski that I didn't agree with. I currently have the meridian 117 at the top of the quiver and love it. I pre-ordered the Wildcat 108 and was thinking that would be a perfect 2 ski inbounds quiver for me. I just picked up a pair of this year's On3p kartel 108s and they ski well on all the stuff I don't like the meridian 117s for met spring snow, chop bumps etc. I'm thinking the kartel and Wildcat will be similar ie Reno vs Portland as stated in the other thread. My question is should I cancel that order for Wildcat 108s and get the deathwish? That would give me nore width diversity. I know I love the dw, owned it before and now like the new stiffer 190, or just keep the order of Wildcat 108s and probably buy more skis next year?

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Deathwishers:

On the line or -1, for someone who spends less than 5% of my time backward?
    I mounted on the line. Super playful and pivoty. I tend to have a relatively neutral stance naturally, but am fairly directional- ie I don't intentionally ski backwards.
    I do find myself shifting my weight back a bit in deep snow and I'd like to see if I like -1 or 2, but overall I am happy on the line. 205#, 6' 190 length for reference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    Interested in the collectives advice on the quiver. My inbounds skiing is done mostly at solitude with a few ikon trips...I have never been on a moment freestyle ski that I didn't agree with. I currently have the meridian 117 at the top of the quiver and love it. I pre-ordered the Wildcat 108 and was thinking that would be a perfect 2 ski inbounds quiver for me. I just picked up a pair of this year's On3p kartel 108s and they ski well on all the stuff I don't like the meridian 117s for met spring snow, chop bumps etc. I'm thinking the kartel and Wildcat will be similar ie Reno vs Portland as stated in the other thread. My question is should I cancel that order for Wildcat 108s and get the deathwish? That would give me nore width diversity. I know I love the dw, owned it before and now like the new stiffer 190, or just keep the order of Wildcat 108s and probably buy more skis next year?
    I think the DW will have too much overlap with your other skis. DW is a great ski, but it's more of a 1 ski quiver for anything that's moderately soft.

Personally, I didn't like the Kartel 108. It wouldn't hold a line when arcing through soft chop - the tails wash out unpredictably. Haven't skied the wildcat 108, so don't know if it will be better about that. Neither the Deathwish nor my old Bibby's have any issue with that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    I mounted on the line. Super playful and pivoty. I tend to have a relatively neutral stance naturally, but am fairly directional- ie I don't intentionally ski backwards.
    I do find myself shifting my weight back a bit in deep snow and I'd like to see if I like -1 or 2, but overall I am happy on the line. 205#, 6' 190 length for reference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks guys.

I went on the line. First day on them yesterday at Kirkwood. Holy smokes this is a great ski.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    I’d keep the Wildcat 108 on order and actually try it out before making any decisions. All accounts point to the Wildcat 108 being similar to the Bibby’s stability yet quicker edge to edge of course so more versatility for non deep days. Think that this would be a fantastic daily driver in your area and might replace your Kartel 108 in that width.
    Wildcat 108 will be lighter yet charge crud and rip groomers better with it’s stiffer flex and longer effective edge. Should be a fantastic ski!

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think the DW will have too much overlap with your other skis. DW is a great ski, but it's more of a 1 ski quiver for anything that's moderately soft.
    I agree with this. The Deathwish is a fat, soft snow oriented all mountian ski. I think it is most useful as a one or as a part of a two ski quiver. In an effort to simplify (vanlife) I recently went from a three ski quiver down to two. A 190 deathwish for when it's snowed and a 184 wrenegade 96 for when it hasn't. Both are one ski quivers in their own right, but I think that having two very versatile skis will make an awesome quiver. I'll pretty much never be on the wrong ski. Obviously personal bias plays a huge role. Neither of these skis are good at carving boilerplate ice but thats not what my priorities are.

Deathwish - I actually mount mine +2 forward. Solomon old school metal binders. I feel that it greatly increases the versatility of the skis...they rail on edge as soon as I tip them over but are sooooo much fun schmearing turns in pow.

Commander 108 - mount +1 forward. I really have no issue skiing these everywhere. They really love a SuperG turn on a firm groomer though. They have a really nice turn radius and for a 108mm ski, they make you feel like you are on a GS ski. As for Wildcat 108...until I take a few runs on them, I have no comparison but my gut is that the Commander will be a bit more solid feeling, more directional, powerful than the Wildcat.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Deathwish - I actually mount mine +2 forward. Solomon old school metal binders. I feel that it greatly increases the versatility of the skis...they rail on edge as soon as I tip them over but are sooooo much fun schmearing turns in pow.

Commander 108 - mount +1 forward. I really have no issue skiing these everywhere. They really love a SuperG turn on a firm groomer though. They have a really nice turn radius and for a 108mm ski, they make you feel like you are on a GS ski. As for Wildcat 108...until I take a few runs on them, I have no comparison but my gut is that the Commander will be a bit more solid feeling, more directional, powerful than the Wildcat.
    As a fwq ski, would you rather ski regular wildcat or dw? I realize you'd probably pick Commander 108/118 over both of them, but still.

That's a tough one...you'd have a bit more stability underfoot for landing airs etc with the Wildcat at 116mm underfoot for 174/184cm or 118mm underfoot at 190cm.

Got on the DW Tour 112 both days this weekend. Short version: by far my favorite touring ski I've ever been on. Makes me smile more than any other ski ever has.

Took a warmup tour Saturday to try em out before I skied anything too gnarly. 2600 feet of pretty steep, playful terrain, real pow at the top, hot pow at the bottom, all sorts of crap in between. They charge as hard as an inbounds DW in consistent snow, ski almost as well in crappy snow, and punch way above their weight. Also super easy to turn, much easier than the inbounds DW, just due to weight I think. Found myself airing between high-speed GS turns on that first lap, and spinning tiny hits.

Then went out and skied the Middle Teton on them yesterday. py snow in a tight, consequential couloir? No problem. Great edge hold, really easy to jump turn, and then super high speed limit when I opened them up on the apron. Super easy to turn in that awful over-warmed spring snow that always destroys me too.

Full review coming after more days, but damn. This is my favorite ski ever. It shines in every condition I've found so far, and the weight is perfect for big days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LRG_DSC06573.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	274836

Started skinning at 2 am for the Middle. That graphic is trippy when viewed by bleary headlamp. Feels like you're in some sort of outer space horror movie.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Got on the DW Tour 112 both days this weekend. Short version: by far my favorite touring ski I've ever been on. Makes me smile more than any other ski ever has.

Took a warmup tour Saturday to try em out before I skied anything too gnarly. 2600 feet of pretty steep, playful terrain, real pow at the top, hot pow at the bottom, all sorts of crap in between. They charge as hard as an inbounds DW in consistent snow, ski almost as well in crappy snow, and punch way above their weight. Also super easy to turn, much easier than the inbounds DW, just due to weight I think. Found myself airing between high-speed GS turns on that first lap, and spinning tiny hits.

Then went out and skied the Middle Teton on them yesterday. py snow in a tight, consequential couloir? No problem. Great edge hold, really easy to jump turn, and then super high speed limit when I opened them up on the apron. Super easy to turn in that awful over-warmed spring snow that always destroys me too.

Full review coming after more days, but damn. This is my favorite ski ever. It shines in every condition I've found so far, and the weight is perfect for big days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LRG_DSC06573.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	274836

Started skinning at 2 am for the Middle. That graphic is trippy when viewed by bleary headlamp. Feels like you're in some sort of outer space horror movie.
    Thanks for the quick review Cy. They rip, as expected! What length? What do they weigh?

Question about detuning triple camber:

I have the 2016 Moment Tallac with lots of camber in the middle, plus the mustache rocker.

I tuned them earlier this year, and fuck if I can’t get them to release in the tips and tails on anything but very soft snow (corn or pow).

The ski stays locked in a turn like a ginsu steak knife otherwise. No joke, it hurts my knees to crank turns in variable snow.

I feel like an idiot. How do I detune this ski correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just searched here and couldn’t find what I was looking for so I’ve got a question for the collective.
    Everything I’ve read tells me the Meridian is a better, faster Devastator.
    I love my Devis but am looking for a lighter version for 50/50 use.
    My question is, how much of what makes the Meridian so good is lost by going to the Meridian Tour?
    Anyone have time or experience with both?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Just searched here and couldn’t find what I was looking for so I’ve got a question for the collective.
    Everything I’ve read tells me the Meridian is a better, faster Devastator.
    I love my Devis but am looking for a lighter version for 50/50 use.
    My question is, how much of what makes the Meridian so good is lost by going to the Meridian Tour?
    Anyone have time or experience with both?
    I guess you can check out blister review on regular Bibby vs Bibby tour. Not the direct comparison you want, but it's more or less relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Thanks for the quick review Cy. They rip, as expected! What length? What do they weigh?
    184 cm is 1660 and 1680 grams a ski.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    184 cm is 1660 and 1680 grams a ski.
    That's freaking amazing. So light, AND they punch above their weight. It's the best of both worlds. Moment is killing it with their touring ski builds right now. About to pick up some 190 Wildcat 108 tours which are about 1770 grams each. I don't know why you want to tour on anything else!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm 5'10" and find the length of the 184 bibbys to be a bit unwieldy on steep kick turns during the uphill... thinking of pulling the trigger on some Wildcat 108 tours, but I'm afraid the 174 length will be too short... anyone have any thoughts on this? Maybe I just suck at kick turns