Page 64 of 239 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 5958
    Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    TLDR: 193cm Chipotle Banana (190.5cm straight pull, 2300g/ski, 139-122-134 [mm] sidecut, 35.5m radius, full rocker) is a big fat badass all mountain ripper, and it’s also a powder ski.

So… for posterity, I should say that I did take the Chipotle Bananas out early in the season during the first day of a big windstorm. I made one run on the wind packed snow, and was almost taken down several times, repeatedly hooking edges underfoot. I didn’t know if there was too much tail, edges too sharp, or if the near white out was just fucking with my depth perception. I was pretty sure it was user error, but I got the distinct feeling that I was gonna get shook real good, so I swapped them out for the 191 goats, which handled that punchy snow with ease. Night and day difference in behavior, reaffirming again the power of the billy goat. I gave the Chipotle Bananas a bit of a detune: gummy tip to tail and a little more aggressive beyond the contact surfaces. Basic detune. Nothing too crazy.

After several missed opportunities, I was finally able to commit to taking them for a ride again. The day at Mt Hood Meadows began with 4 inches of cold, dry, fresh powder on top of the 8 inches of mildly tracked out snow from the last part of the day before. The sun was out, the wind was calm, and the entire resort was open. The day started out at 18 degrees Farenheit, and ended in the mid 30s. Snow conditions throughout the day ranged the gambit.

Low angle trees on four inches of cold fresh snow
    Planes easily in powder, as it should. Just smooth and natural. Reverse camber makes them really pivoty and the surface area lets you bounce easily from turn to turn.

Steep trees on cold fresh snow ranging to around two feet deep
    The turn radius is big. Steep tight trees are totally doable and very fun, however fast you want to ski them, but don’t expect to set a turn shape and let them complete the curve for you unless you’re hauling balls.

Connector runs: groomers
    Fatskis that can lay a fucking trench. Holy shit. Even on late day, packed down, grooved up cascade cement, they are super stable.

The 2020 coastal alpine
    This was the smorgasbord. Variable to the extreme. Started out on a twenty foot swath of shaved ice along the ridge line. To be honest, a couple of close calls this year on my comically detuned daily drivers have left me in a mild state of trauma where ice is concerned, and I’ve never eeked so timidly onto an icepack traverse. The CB 191s have a 35.5m turn radius, a lot of effective edge, and they are quite stiff. After a few icy traverses my paranoia was quelled.

Once the shade crust was behind me, the big, wide open A-Zone bowl was next. Snow was windblown breakable crust, which was what nearly took me out several times on day one. After a couple of shortish test turns I felt confident enough to open it up, and didn’t have any of the catchy underfoot feeling that I’d had originally, and they mobbed with authority through the broken up chunks from previous descents. The next open face presented even thicker, punchier snow with an additional thin suncrust on it, and still the ski maintained. Some relatively technical stuff, but the ski is substantial in the way it needs to be to maintain the trust and the joy.

More steep and low angle trees
    So awesome in the fresh snow. Floaty, easy to turn, and hold an edge well on exposed crusty sections.

Higher up onto the alpine
    My son and I decided to destroy our legs by hiking the 1000 foot vertical above the Cascade lift, so that we could ski even punchier, but less tracked out snow surrounded by a sea of glistening ice blossoms and sneaker boilerplate. So much fucking fun. I mean really. I’m flying down at speed, gouging new wiggle shapes into punchy crust and busting over old tracks, smiling the whole time.

Ungodly heavy afternoon chop
    End of bluebird day, really warm, like you-can-see-the-water-in-the-snowpack warm, and we’re cutting through the spoils at this point. It’s like Morse code, finding the remaining poofy spots amid big roly chunks of chunder. Resort skiing here is inevitably crud busting and crud busting is fun with the right tool, and this is the right tool.

Comparing the 193cm Chipotle Banana to the 191cm Lithic Arlo 120 (Heavy core) and the 191cm RES Billy Goat
    They all have distinct shapes, and each ski a bit differently. The Lithic and the ON3P are damper, but not by too much. The CB is less work by the end of the day than the BG, maybe a little more work than the Arlo, but again, not by much. I had to spend a little time figuring out how to ski the CB, but it turned out to be an easy learning curve. There’s more tail in the CB than the other two, and it’s not pin-like. In the CB, the absence of that blissful sloppiness granted by the pin tail is offset by the reverse camber almost, but not quite to the same extent.

So, it may be a self fulfilling prophecy, but they’re really what I hoped they’d be, which is a big stiff reverse camber ski that can take me all over the mountain in all conditions. I love the Moment build for this shape, too. Such a big ski, it weighs in at 2300g, making it very substantial yet totally manageable. I could happily pair a 190 Deathwish and the 193 Chipotle Banana as an all season quiver, probably swapping based on mood more often than conditions.
    Thank you. Been hoping for this review. Never really been all that comfortable on reverse camber. Wonder if this is the ski that changes that...

That said, every year I try to replace the 191 billy goat with a different ski in the 116-122mm waist class and every year I fail.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Moment Skis Discussion

I’ve skied many of the reverse camber skis on the market, and this one feels ‘’the least like a reverse camber ski’’ that I’ve skied or owned while seemingly retaining most of the qualities I love about reverse camber skis in soft conditions. Worth noting that I’ve never skied black crows / Corvus. The edge grip on firm snow is really impressive, it has rebound out of a turn, and keeps its balance on chopped up snow and even set up crud.

Caveat— I think one of the reasons why I personally get along well with reverse camber skis is that being from New England, I’m used to encountering lurking boilerplate ice even on ‘’pow’’ days, so I’m always on my guard for that and I’d like to think I’m pretty equipped for when I inevitably find it, reverse camber skis or not. So I’ll trade the pow performance, frictionlessness etc at the expense of having to pay a little more attention when I encounter the firm snow. Ymmv. Can’t wait to get back out on the Bananas again.

ETA the ski needs some speed to come alive. I have to be paying attention to get it to perform to my liking on firm/crud without getting thrown in the backseat. In soft snow it’s more intuitive and easy-going.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 03-04-2020 at 12:05 PM.

How would some wc108s and a shift binding work for all mountain in oregon/pnw? Done a lot of research and they look great, but worried they won't hold up to the heavy snow here... Suggestions?

Anyone know if the WC next year is going to gain back some weight?

Quote Originally Posted by peglegger View Post
    Anyone know if the WC next year is going to gain back some weight?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Yes
    WC 108, too?

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    WC 108, too?
    No

Yes

Yay <3

Mmntskis.com dropping soon?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Yay <3

Mmntskis.com dropping soon?
    No. New website should launch August 1st.

No. New website should launch August 1st.
    Haha well I can stop checking it then. Thanks for the response!

If anyone is looking for WC108, 190, Brand new w/ holes. PM me. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jvo View Post
    If anyone is looking for WC108, 190, Brand new w/ holes. PM me. thanks
    Post them up in gear swap. A couple pairs just sold quick this week.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Post them up in gear swap. A couple pairs just sold quick this week.
    Gotcha. Thanks!

Moment Skis Discussion

Perpetual state on the 2012-13? pbj with a decent tune. Finally got a firm snow/park ride I love.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ce=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Edit: who knows how to imbed an image?

Also makes me wonder if the pbj weight is increasing next year as well
    Last edited by SupreChicken; 03-06-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

"Insert photo" in the tool line (middle icon of the five on the right), and check off "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" as the GIF is above the size limit.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the Commander 118? I'm wondering mainly how they compare to the On3p Wren 114 or the Wren series as a whole.

They seem like very different takes on the same style of ski.

Does anyone know if this is normal - and if so, why? Just noticed today while waxing that water some came out from these holes. Same pinholes are on both side on both skis. WCT 108.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hulliski.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	463.2 KB 
ID:	319338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hulliski2.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	331.7 KB 
ID:	319339

FYI - I have some 184 wct 108s listed in gear swap.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Does anyone know if this is normal - and if so, why? Just noticed today while waxing that water some came out from these holes. Same pinholes are on both side on both skis. WCT 108.

Not exactly the same but similar. Never noticed any water.

I only have the gaps on one side, they appear to have been filled (or attempted to be filled)

Seems like a defect on your skis, I'd probably just dry them out and fill it in with epoxy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I have same in all my moment skis

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    I have same in all my moment skis
    My Wildcat 108’s have those same little holes. Haven’t noticed any water coming out tho…

Interesting. I'm not saying there was a lot of water, just few drops that seeped out while hotwaxing. Sealing this with a few drops of epoxy is a 5 minute job, so no big deal. Now that I'm not alone though I'm wondering if it's intentional, because they kind of look like needle/syringe holes. I guess I'm just worried about water getting into the ski.

Deathwish rare 2020 California powder stoke...

Interesting. I'm not saying there was a lot of water, just few drops that seeped out while hotwaxing. Sealing this with a few drops of epoxy is a 5 minute job, so no big deal. Now that I'm not alone though I'm wondering if it's intentional, because they kind of look like needle/syringe holes. I guess I'm just worried about water getting into the ski.
    I don’t think it’s intentional, but water won’t get into the ski. It looks like the sidewall and tip spacer just didn’t marry up perfectly during layup. Epoxy probably fills and stays in the gap (when/if it exists) a lot of the time, but could drain out during curing, or bubble during application. All material will have a heavy coating of epoxy, though, and be waterproof. If you’re worried about it, fill it with something waterproof: ski wax, hot glue, epoxy, JB Weld, etc.

I have that gap on my Wildcat 108s. That portion of the tip is mainly the plastic tip spacer, and so it doesnt really expose the wood core. I dont think its concern.