Page 95 of 241 FirstFirst ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 6010
    Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Hahaha, I bought both...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    This makes me feel better. I knew there were others like me.

I find the DWT to be a variable conditions crushing machine. I have not skied the WCT versions though I am going to assume large similarity between them all and that all probably do well in less than ideal conditions.

It's been a lot of less than great snow in the Wasatch this year, and the DWT has performed consistently and solidly in a variety of conditions.

I'm struggling to get the DWT to click in variable. The outside tail edge likes to get caught up on any crust or compacted snow it can find and not release. Mounted -2cm with tectons. Not a bad ski but maybe just not for me, I think I'm more of a WC guy.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I'm struggling to get the DWT to click in variable. The outside tail edge likes to get caught up on any crust or compacted snow it can find and not release. Mounted -2cm with tectons. Not a bad ski but maybe just not for me, I think I'm more of a WC guy.
    Ive found beveling the tip and tail base edges at 1.5-2* helps almost any ski perform better in variable snow. Kind of like detuning, but you get to keep more of your edges sharp.

Also, make sure they’re not edge high. Wide and light touring skis seem to like to turn slightly railed as they break in, in my experience.

Maybe it is your -2cm mount + your skiing style causing that rear camber pocket to engage more than it normally would. Or it is a tune issue
    I'm on the line and have zero issues with the tails releasing they shmear and pivot and release when and where I want them to

Might be your mount point. We don't recommend anything but recommended on the DW or DWT due to the triple camber design.

Repeat after me...
    4 sAlE DWT, oNe mOUnT fOr tEcToNs aT -2

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I've posted a WTB thread in gear swap but figured I'd throw it out here as well for more vizability. If anyone has a 19/20 184 WCT108 that they'd part with I'm yer man.

My take on DW vs. WC. For reference, I have / had had 184 original Bibby's, 184 Bibby tour, 190 WC 108, 184 DW, 184 DWT, and a few other Moments that aren't all that relevant to this discussion. I'm mounted on the line on all of those skis.

DWT in a 184 is my touring ski. I like it over the Wildcat 108 because the Deathwish feels a little more versatile in different snow types. Despite its slightly wider width, I feel like the triple camber hooks up better on harder snow. The Wildcat has deeper rocker lines which make it smeary, but can also make it feel like it has a pretty short running length as things get firmer. I also find that deep rocker lines with a fair amount of splay (like the Wildcat) can be a little funky in chopped up snow - they're harder to predict.

I don't want to make it sound like the Wildcat is terrible by any means. It's kind of splitting hairs. But, for whatever it's worth, I've had a bunch of different skis set up for touring over the years, and the DWT is hands down my favorite. Floats well for when things are legitimately deep. Carves well (at least by 110 waist standards) for when things are legitimately firm. Light enough for reasonably big days, but not so light that it feels like skiing on a carbon toothpick.

Good talk all - love the diff perspectives

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I don't want to make it sound like the Wildcat is terrible by any means. It's kind of splitting hairs. But, for whatever it's worth, I've had a bunch of different skis set up for touring over the years, and the DWT is hands down my favorite.
    All great skis - we're totally splitting hairs. Don't think you can go wrong with either. Hands down my favorite is high praise - makes me want to try the DWT. [But you've missed the best touring ski of all time...the Praxis Protest... that's a discussion for another thread.]
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Good talk all - love the diff perspectives

All great skis - we're totally splitting hairs. Don't think you can go wrong with either. Hands down my favorite is high praise - makes me want to try the DWT. [But you've missed the best touring ski of all time...the Praxis Protest... that's a discussion for another thread.]
    Ha - I've never owned a Protest. I need to change that.

I did have a Praxis Concept a while back. Similar premise as the DW's triple camber, but the Concept also had a wavy sidecut that matched the camber profile. Ultimately, I preferred the Deathwish - much more easy going.

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Might be your mount point. We don't recommend anything but recommended on the DW or DWT due to the triple camber design.
    Checks out. Those of us near the line love the ski. Those that deviated further than 1cm are dissatisfied
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Checks out. Those of us near the line love the ski. Those that deviated further than 1cm are dissatisfied
    +2 for me for last 5 years and would never change. They rail groomers, slay pow and even easy to ski with the 4 year old

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    +2 for me for last 5 years and would never change. They rail groomers, slay pow and even easy to ski with the 4 year old
    Huh. Wonder what melee would say about that. More predictable fwd of the line perhaps? I’m at +0.5. Don’t think I would change. Put them there to make sure the nose would stay up in deep snow.

Also made a habit of skiing them with a 2.5 year old on my back. Some of my favorite laps.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I'm at -2cm from rec on 190DW per Fasa at Moment's recommendation and am in love with them there, no complaints on the mount at all. I tele though (pretty sure Fasa does as well).

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    I'm at -2cm from rec on 190DW per Fasa at Moment's recommendation and am in love with them there, no complaints on the mount at all. I tele though (pretty sure Fasa does as well).
    I think the set back for a tele midsole makes sense though given the tele turn. But I don't tele 🤷

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    cool, send me some voyager 14s and I'll remount them at rec!

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    I think the set back for a tele midsole makes sense though given the tele turn. But I don't tele 🤷
    Fwiw I ride all of my other skis on the reccomended line, but most of those skis have a rec line from -9 to -11. My pb&js at -5 are fun on hardpack up to 2 inches, but as soon as things get deep at all they constantly want to stuff tip, especially in heavier snow. Combination of mount, tip stiffness, and tele creating a lot of tip pressure makes them pretty much suck in powder. I tried them mounted further back (-7.5) but they were less fun everywhere else and hardly any better in pow. The deathwishes have enough surface area and a softer flex up front to have plenty of float so they don't have this issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I've owned 190 Bibbys, 190 Exit World (touring layup, Bibby shape), 190 Deathwishes, and 190 Wildcat 108 Tours. And 188 PB&Js.

Since you have the Jeff for an inbounds daily and the Protest for inbounds pow, I'd go touring layup.

I really like the W108 Tours. Quite versatile. Yes, a flat tail would be better in steep, icy chutes, but functionally speaking I've been fine with the rockered tail. And that tail makes them quite surfy and fun in anything soft.

The W108T has a much more traditional feel than the DW. I haven't skied the DWTs, but (and many will disagree) I find the DW camber profile a little unnerving on anything with variably-textured snow, due to the triple camber. While more "versatile", I find them to be slightly less predictable. And, on a touring ski, that does have a premium. That said, WCT108s ski pow great for their waist width. Haven't had enough time on hardpark to comment on that. Selling my Backland 107s since I like the Moments better. No surprise there.

When I picked up the WCT108s, the shop guy told me the new Commander 108 started its design as a touring ski ... with metal in the layup (!!!!). But, they liked it so much that they tried the regular core, and BOOM, the new C108 was born. The C108 Tour was shelved for a bit as a result.

Last year's Commander 108 was pretty darn light and would make a great touring ski, as johnnyg mentioned.

For reference, my touring quiver is now:
    Helio 95, Alpinists - big days
    WCT 108, Voyager 14 - daily
    Rustler 11 (SHIFT) - sidecountry
    Protests, Kingpins - BIG days
    Now that's a fucking touring quiver. Should I put touring bindings on my protests?? They're so heavy, but god damn would they be fun.

To keep this relevant: picked up some meridian tours and am really digging them the few days I've gotten them out, but here's the weird thing - took a few inbounds laps in them and noticed on hard snow they felt a little like they had that distinctive triple camber bite. Then looking at the rocker profile I swear it's some sort of ungodly mix of full-ish rocker and triple camber. Definitely different from OG meridian. I'm sorta confused, possibly delusional.

So far I have 6 days on this year's DWT and freaking love them. Kingpins on the line. 3 resort days and 3 days in the woods. My only note is that they don't like to be driven gingerly. Not a surprise for a ski from Moment. Obviously not as aggressive on the groomer as my gov's or cat's but they rail pretty damn good if you're committed.
    My next mystery for this topic is the Pressure Drop. Taking a pair in tomorrow to get mounted. Appears they are Wildcat 101's but time will tell. I'll fill y'all in, in a couple days. Looking forward to rippin them. Anybody rocked those sticks yet?

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    Now that's a fucking touring quiver. Should I put touring bindings on my protests?? They're so heavy, but god damn would they be fun.

To keep this relevant: picked up some meridian tours and am really digging them the few days I've gotten them out, but here's the weird thing - took a few inbounds laps in them and noticed on hard snow they felt a little like they had that distinctive triple camber bite. Then looking at the rocker profile I swear it's some sort of ungodly mix of full-ish rocker and triple camber. Definitely different from OG meridian. I'm sorta confused, possibly delusional.
    I also have Meridian Tours, and they also have triple camber. Doesn't look like much (although I've never seen a Deathwish in person), but you can definitely put the skis together in such a way that both the center of the ski and either somewhere near either the tip or tail are touching. Kind of like the Ghost Train rocker profile, but less extreme.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021_Ghost_Train_camber.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	356848

Can't say I really notice it while skiing. The skis seem to have excellent edge grip, which is fine with me.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Meridians do not have triple camber. That old photo is a crappy digital rendering.

This is a photo of the rocker profile. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MMT_Skis_20-21_Meridian_Side_Final-01.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	356860

Quote Originally Posted by bearcrawl View Post
    My next mystery for this topic is the Pressure Drop. Taking a pair in tomorrow to get mounted. Appears they are Wildcat 101's but time will tell. I'll fill y'all in, in a couple days. Looking forward to rippin them. Anybody rocked those sticks yet?
    The Backcountry.com - Pressure Drop is a Wildcat 101 Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I also have Meridian Tours, and they also have triple camber. Doesn't look like much (although I've never seen a Deathwish in person), but you can definitely put the skis together in such a way that both the center of the ski and either somewhere near either the tip or tail are touching. Kind of like the Ghost Train rocker profile, but less extreme.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021_Ghost_Train_camber.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	356848

Can't say I really notice it while skiing. The skis seem to have excellent edge grip, which is fine with me.
    Exactly. Glad I'm not losing my mind. Actually psyched on the profile, just didn't realize it differed from the regular version.
    Edit: if Melee says I'm losing my mind then I'm losing my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    Exactly. Glad I'm not losing my mind. Actually psyched on the profile, just didn't realize it differed from the regular version.
    The Meridian and Meridian Tour are full rocker and go in the exact same mold.

There are no micro-cambers or triple camber on Meridians or Meridian Tours.