Page 73 of 242 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 6026
    Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Did we already get the rundown on the storyline of our new astronaut friend's travels to this distant planet?

My mythology-fanatic kids saw the topsheets (in my cart x3!) and wanted to know the story...
    Same!
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Any weight numbers on this years' Commanders? For example Commander 108 182/187?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Any weight numbers on this years' Commanders? For example Commander 108 182/187?
    We know the baseline weights from prototyping and they are definitely heavier than last years.

That being said we are waiting to post weights until a large majority of production skis come through so we can get an accurate average weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    We know the baseline weights from prototyping and they are definitely heavier than last years.

That being said we are waiting to post weights until a large majority of production skis come through so we can get an accurate average weight.
    Great, thanks. Will be awaiting official numbers. The previous iteration was actually light enough for a rowdy touring/side country setup, and I can't quite rid myself the idea of a setup like that.

Got my 190cm Wildcats in today and look great in person! Bases are nice and flat with they only needed the edges tuned. A bit of a variance between right and left skis with one at 2208 grams and the other at 2278 grams for a 2243 gram average.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8BC96117-E1EE-4770-A4FC-5176306DFC48.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	520.6 KB 
ID:	336443

Moment Skis Discussion

Dem gon look sick AF on snow!! Personally really dig the graphics this year!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Got my 190cm Wildcats in today and look great in person! Bases are nice and flat with they only needed the edges tuned. A bit of a variance between right and left skis with one at 2208 grams and the other at 2278 grams for a 2243 gram average.
    You shouldn't need to tune your edges unless you want something other than 1/1.

All skis come with a ceramic base and edge polish from the newest machinery custom made by Reichmann.

You shouldn't need to tune your edges unless you want something other than 1/1.

All skis come with a ceramic base and edge polish from the newest machinery custom made by Reichmann.
    Speaking with Fasa via email. Think the final edge polishing step was missed or something. Edges were a bit uneven, some hanging burrs and very sharp and catchy even above the taper. Bases nice and flat though.

File, diamond/sharpening stones and they are perfect now. I usually have this to do after getting a stone grind so you’re still ahead of most!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Great, thanks. Will be awaiting official numbers. The previous iteration was actually light enough for a rowdy touring/side country setup, and I can't quite rid myself the idea of a setup like that.
    Thats what i did with the first gen commanders/shifts and they work great in that role.

Thoughts on the Moment Sierra (172cm) as a touring ski:

Amazing. I don't think a better touring ski exists (at least for one who values light weight and downhill performance). I mounted them with my old Dynafit Radical 2.0s which I really like. I use the Technica Zero G Scout boots which are also awesome. Great flex and lateral stiffness! I'm 5' 7" and 130lbs. Took them out in quite a variety of conditions.

Uphill performance: Great, super pleased with how these handled on all sorts of skin tracks. Steep, icy, exposed, slushy, whatever it was, the triple camber dug in very well and was quite confidence inspiring. I found they dug in better than my previous touring skis, the G3 synapse 101. G3 skins attach onto the skis perfectly.

My tours tend to be 900+m elevation gain. The most I've done on these skis is 1400m of gain. The skis are light enough that I did not find fatigue to be an issue. I've spent the most time on them in Rogers Pass (backcountry skiing paradise) but also have taken them on some tours around Banff and Kananaskis. Yes, I'm not going to set speed records on the uptrack but I get into a nice rhythm and can pretty efficiently get up anything. These skis weigh about 150g (or maybe 200g..) more per foot than my G3 synapses. Honestly, not a big weight penalty to take if you value the downhill fun!! Plus, there are a ton of lighter bindings than I have if one is concerned about shaving off weight.

Downhill: absolutely excellent. What a treat it is to ski bottomless pow all day using a REAL ski!? Personally, I cannot stand the feeling of carbon touring skis. Tried it and not for me! My powder touring skis are also full weight skis with shifts haha.

The excellent thing about this ski is that it is built so light that it can easily be a daily driver for a backcountry ski. It's the skinny ski/peak bagging ski in my touring quiver. I actually initially purchased them as an inbounds ski, but decided I wanted a burlier ski at the resort so shuffled them into my touring quiver. Best decision ever! When I switched bindings, I also mounted them back -1 which I prefer.

These skis are so versatile in all types of snow conditions. Amazingly surfy for their width in the powder and great on harder snow. So much fun in corn and they did really well on grabby spring snow. The twin tip makes skiing breakable crust much less painful as the tails release much better and you don't need to drive the tips or worry about tip dive. The snow quality in the backcountry can vary so much that its nice to have a ski that can handle it all!

I don't know why these skis aren't talked about more, especially within a backcountry skiing context. I very highly recommend them as touring skis to any ladies who feel good about their uphill fitness and value downhill performance (because that's why we spend all that effort going uphill, right??). Anyway, can't say enough good things. Ladies, go buy them!
    Last edited by Liz.Imhof; 08-09-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz.Imhof View Post
    Thoughts on the Moment Sierra (172cm) as a touring ski:

Amazing. I don't think a better touring ski exists (at least for one who values light weight and downhill performance). I mounted them with my old Dynafit Radical 2.0s which I really like. I use the Technica Zero G Scout boots which are also awesome. Great flex and lateral stiffness! I'm 5' 7" and 130lbs. Took them out in quite a variety of conditions.

Uphill performance: Great, super pleased with how these handled on all sorts of skin tracks. Steep, icy, exposed, slushy, whatever it was, the triple camber dug in very well and was quite confidence inspiring. I found they dug in better than my previous touring skis, the G3 synapse 101. G3 skins attach onto the skis perfectly.

My tours tend to be 900+m elevation gain. The most I've done on these skis is 1400m of gain. The skis are light enough that I did not find fatigue to be an issue. I've spent the most time on them in Rogers Pass (backcountry skiing paradise) but also have taken them on some tours around Banff and Kananaskis. Yes, I'm not going to set speed records on the uptrack but I get into a nice rhythm and can pretty efficiently get up anything. These skis weigh about 150g (or maybe 200g..) more per foot than my G3 synapses. Honestly, not a big weight penalty to take if you value the downhill fun!! Plus, there are a ton of lighter bindings than I have if one is concerned about shaving off weight.

Downhill: absolutely excellent. What a treat it is to ski bottomless pow all day using a REAL ski!? Personally, I cannot stand the feeling of carbon touring skis. Tried it and not for me! My powder touring skis are also full weight skis with shifts haha.

The excellent thing about this ski is that it is built so light that it can easily be a daily driver for a backcountry ski. It's the skinny ski/peak bagging ski in my touring quiver. I actually initially purchased them as an inbounds ski, but decided I wanted a burlier ski at the resort so shuffled them into my touring quiver. Best decision ever! When I switched bindings, I also mounted them back -1 which I prefer.

These skis are so versatile in all types of snow conditions. Amazingly surfy for their width in the powder and great on harder snow. So much fun in corn and they did really well on grabby spring snow. The twin tip makes skiing breakable crust much less painful as the tails release much better and you don't need to drive the tips or worry about tip dive. The snow quality in the backcountry can vary so much that its nice to have a ski that can handle it all!

I don't know why these skis aren't talked about more, especially within a backcountry skiing context. I very highly recommend them as touring skis to any ladies who feel good about their uphill fitness and value downhill performance (because that's why we spend all that effort going uphill, right??). Anyway, can't say enough good things. Ladies, go buy them!
    I mean makes great sense to me.

Does anyone else have some more Chipotle Banana beta? I'm pretty confident that 193 is the right choice size wise as I'm looking for something a little more substantial than my 190 bibby's.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by duster13 View Post
    Does anyone else have some more Chipotle Banana beta? I'm pretty confident that 193 is the right choice size wise as I'm looking for something a little more substantial than my 190 bibby's.
    More substantial in what ways?

More substantial in what ways?
    Looking for a little more float/looseness in deep snow, soft 3d and windslab while still being comfortable going real fast. Does it ski comparatively longer or shorter? Stiffer?

So many mixed takes on this ski on the internet...

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by duster13 View Post
    Looking for a little more float/looseness in deep snow, soft 3d and windslab while still being comfortable going real fast. Does it ski comparatively longer or shorter? Stiffer?

So many mixed takes on this ski on the internet...
    The Chipotle Banana is for sure stiffer, has more float and is looser than a Bibby/Wildcat 190.

The full rocker is mellow so you use a lot of the ski.

Luke are you able to provide any more insight on the commander changes for this year? Interested especially in the 98.

Curious about any changes to the taper/EE, weight, turn radius, and stiffness/flex. I would ask in the website chat but figured some others on here might be interested in the answers too.

The graphics are unreal and it just seems like something I need in the quiver, but am trying to get as much info as possible before pulling the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moment Skis Discussion

Curious....is anyone using the frankenski as a low-tide dork-around ski for non-park use?
    Last edited by optics; 08-14-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Luke, what are your current thoughts about building a sub-100 directional touring ski? For spring missions and such. I know their has been some talk about this in the past and its been a while since you've guys made the Tallac.

I've got Bibby tours, and 108 tours. Now just need to round out the quiver with something narrower and lighter. With the new design of the Commander 98, seems like its an optimal candidate for a tour core. If you could get those to 1500-1600 grams, I'd buy it in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Luke, what are your current thoughts about building a sub-100 directional touring ski? For spring missions and such. I know their has been some talk about this in the past and its been a while since you've guys made the Tallac.

I've got Bibby tours, and 108 tours. Now just need to round out the quiver with something narrower and lighter. With the new design of the Commander 98, seems like its an optimal candidate for a tour core. If you could get those to 1500-1600 grams, I'd buy it in a second.
    A 1600g Commander 98 tour would be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    A 1600g Commander 98 tour would be sick.
    Sign me up!

Last years 178cm was around 1780 I think...

At some point wanting to hit 1600 flat seems like splitting hairs. Find a slightly lighter binding and call it a day?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyasian View Post
    Sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Last years 178cm was around 1780 I think...

At some point wanting to hit 1600 flat seems like splitting hairs. Find a slightly lighter binding and call it a day?
    Good point. The 18/19 was around 1780 in the 178. That design had too much taper in my opinion though, and the new design is freaking MONEY. The increased effective edge looks amazing.

Also, the Wildcat 108 tour is 1825 grams in a 190, which will ski better, so it makes it somewhat pointless to have both those skis at the similar weights. If I'm lugging 1800 grams uphill, I'd take the 108 over the 98 every single time.

Throw a tour core in a new Commander 98 and they might be able to hit sub 1600 grams in the 188. And I'd be willing to bet it will ski better than any other touring ski in that width and weight range.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I had not spent a lot of time looking at the dimensions... but I’m really intrigued. Agree entirely with the shape looking much more dialed. That 194 will be a bug ski this season.

I bought some Wrenegade 114’s last winter that quickly became my got to resort ski. I have been strongly considering buying by first sub 110mm ski in a decade and had been assuming the Wren 102 was the way to go but this is an interesting option to say the least.

I still have struggled a little with lighter skis in the charger category. I get that they are incredible in the right conditions (ex corn snow touring) but every time I’ve always bonded more with heavy skis for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Good point. The 18/19 was around 1780 in the 178. That design had too much taper in my opinion though, and the new design is freaking MONEY. The increased effective edge looks amazing.

Also, the Wildcat 108 tour is 1825 grams in a 190, which will ski better, so it makes it somewhat pointless to have both those skis at the similar weights. If I'm lugging 1800 grams uphill, I'd take the 108 over the 98 every single time.

Throw a tour core in a new Commander 98 and they might be able to hit sub 1600 grams in the 188. And I'd be willing to bet it will ski better than any other touring ski in that width and weight range.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Great convo Melee on the Gear:30 Podcast.

Really cool to listen to the work put in on the ABS testing and the continued development at MOMENT

https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/m...-lineup-ep-111

I found the story behind the evolution of the commander 98s and 108s to be very, very interesting. Thanks for the transparency and details Melee, and let's hope other Norwegian mythological creatures turned internet derogatory term is less of a bother going forward eh If nothing else this thread is still going strong, so I guess that is something

I guess a shout out for Derute, the mentioned Norwegian distributor, is in order too. They are super knowledgable and about as helpful a group of guys that I have ever bought skis from. Will def consider trying a wildcat116 at some point. Wildcats108 have been a pleasant experience, even if they are not 100% what I was looking for.