Page 43 of 241 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 6018
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Anyone chop the twin off of a WildCat Tour yet?
    Why?

Don't need a big ass twin tip on my touring skis. What's it gonna do for me? Gets caught up while skinning?

Don't need a big ass twin tip on my touring skis. What's it gonna do for me? Gets caught up while skinning?
    The last 20cm of the tail has pretty substantial splay. You'd be better off just buying a touring ski with a flat tail

Not a ton of offerings in the 116mm - sub 1750g - 25m turn radius - don’t ski like shit, category.

I’m not advocating for a flat tail, I like the rocker, just not the twin tip. Taking 2cm or so off the back end where the tip spacer is and then sealing it back up.

Not a ton of offerings in the 116mm - sub 1750g - 25m turn radius - don’t ski like shit, category.

I’m not advocating for a flat tail, I like the rocker, just not the twin tip. Taking 2cm or so off the back end where the tip spacer is and then sealing it back up.
    Yep, fair enough. Pretty slim pickings for those specs, although Black Diamond Helio 116 looks close on paper.

Buy a different ski and stop talking bollox?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've never had an issue touring with twin tips, and would recommend against cutting them off. Maybe a Commander 118 would be a better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    I've never had an issue touring with twin tips, and would recommend against cutting them off. Maybe a Commander 118 would be a better choice?
    Name:  nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  18.1 KB

What part of add two sheets of metal and over a lb per foot with a 30m turn radius sounds appealing in a touring ski? Again, I really like how the wildcat tour skis, put about 10 days on a pair last year, just wondering if anyone has cut the twin tip off (Not flatten out the entire tail).

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

Taking 2 cm off the tail isn't going to change how the ski performs on the way down, or the way up. Never heard of someone liking rocker but not a twin tip, what's your reasoning here?

This feels like it might fall into the "or you could take a dump before you ski and save way more weight" category?

Are you really having that much trouble making kick turns with that extra 2cm of tail?

Moment Skis Discussion

Looking forward to getting out on the Commander 124 once things start to fill in a bit. Want to see how they compare to the Comi.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1703.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	306287

Man, that Commander graphic is so good, and I think the yellow version on the 124 is the best of the bunch.

I really don't need another 11x underfoot charger, given that I've got a 186cm Bodacious and 191cm OG Wren already, but the Commander 118 looks like a ski I'd get along with...

Quote Originally Posted by thommy21 View Post
    Looking forward to getting out on the Commander 124 once things start to fill in a bit. Want to see how they compare to the Comi.

Jeezus that’s a beautiful set up. Please enlighten us with your thoughts on them once you get them out.

Today was a good day to have a Deathwish.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBison View Post
    Jeezus that’s a beautiful set up. Please enlighten us with your thoughts on them once you get them out.
    Will do. Heading up to Chatter Creek and Revelstoke just after Xmas and thinking of taking them.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Today was a good day to have a Deathwish.
    Most of my days are good Deathwish days.

With no new snow, honestly they are a bit much for me. Maybe just cuz I am old now. But on days like today, it makes life much easier. I like these days and vote for more of them.

No such thing as a bad Deathwish day.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    No such thing as a bad Deathwish day.
    I like this and agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Yep, fair enough. Pretty slim pickings for those specs, although Black Diamond Helio 116 looks close on paper.
    The Helio 116 is an AWESOME ski, I've been loving mine. But it the few times I've used it inbounds it does have a speed limit that comes out racing back to the chairs on groomers. And at 5'11" 160ish (sans gear) I run the 186 and don't know how much more weight/height that length would take before feeling too small/ noodle-y (especially considering this is thread for people who like Moments...). But definitely check out the Blister review of it since they compare it to the WC Tour a bunch. Also if you do go with it check the thread on TGR about mount points. The recommended line is kinda dumb.
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 12-16-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

What's that ski all the way to the left with NO tail splay and the wood topsheets?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

WC 108 mini review

190 cm, mounted on the line with P18's (that will likely get cast-ified soon). My normal hill is Whitefish, which tends to get more of the high density, heavy PNW snow than light blower.

I have a week or so on the ski at this point and I'm pretty psyched on it. I'm 5'9" 160-ish, and for reference, I've owned / liked the 184 Bibby, 184 Bibby Tour, and 184 Deathwish. I also have some 187 Belafonte's that I like in the right conditions, but they're a little more locked into turns than I like - they're not as easy to throw sideways and scrub speed, which means they're not as great for the tree skiing that I do a lot of. Ultimately, the WC108's are replacing my old 185 Cochises that died at the hands of Big Sky rocks, and both the Cochise and now the WC108 are my daily driver for non-pow conditions, until conditions get so bad that I bring out the carvers and stick to the groomers. Last year I was on some 191 Whitedot Directors that I liked a lot, but they don't have any camber underfoot. I think this makes it a little harder to generate pop, and it also means they feel a little harsher and less damp. But they're a fun ski that does well at speed but is still pretty easy to work through tight trees.

So yeah, really liking the 190 WC108's. I was worried the 190 was going to feel like too much ski for tight spots, but they're really easy to swing around. They're relatively light, which helps, and the tip and tail splay runs pretty deep, so they're really easy to smear and slarve around. They also have a lot of pop, so it's easy to give a little hop to help release the ski and get it swung around in tight spots. It's also worth noting that on a ski like the Cochise, I'd keep the edges relatively dull to make it easier to smear around in tight places. I haven't found that to be necessary at all on the WC108, which is nice because it means that ski does a lot better in firm spots where sharp edges matter.

At speed, the ski is stable, although the short running length is noticeable. It'll carve a moderate trench in a groomer, and you can load it up underfoot, but it doesn't have the locked in stability of a ski with tip to tail camber, and it doesn't roll into a turn or finish it nearly as precisely as a "good" groomer ski. All that said, it's not un-fun on groomers, although this isn't the ski I'd buy if I really cared about groomer performance.

It's still early season here, and I haven't gotten it into proper moguls yet, but it seems like it'll be fine for all the reasons stated above. It's easy to smear around when needed. It'll engage an edge if you want it to. And it has a ton of pop that seems like it'll make bouncing through moguls pretty fun. In the half-formed bumps I've skied, it just begs to double things up and find little transitions, and the length + reasonably stiff flex means that it's not a total disaster when you end up straightlining a runout that isn't quite as smooth as it initially looked.

All that said, the choppier things get, the more you notice the light-ish weight. This isn't a particularly damp ski, and I wouldn't really call it a charger (although it's not way outside of that category). The longer length helps the stability in chop a bit, but the ski gets bounced around in heavy chop, and that poppiness that makes it fun in half-formed moguls becomes a bit of a liability. If an old school Legend Pro succeeded at going mach-ridiculous through chop by sticking to the ground and motoring through everything with a damp crushiness, the WC108 succeeds by airing as much of the chop as possible in the hopes of making it to something smoother / softer before things get out of hand.

Where this ski actually surprised me a bit is in pow - it's really good. I'm actually kind of surprised at how well it does in deeper snow considering it's not that wide. At speed, I knew it'd be fine. But what really surprised me was how well it did at slow speed turns in deeper snow - usually that's a situation where anything that's not fat and rockered can feel a little awkward, but the WC108 does well. When it comes to fresh snow, it's better than any sub-110 width ski that I've ever been on.

So yeah, it's a sweet ski. I'd say anyone who's on the fence about sizing up would likely be happy with the longer length - it's not a difficult ski, and I think the longer length probably helps out a bit with the ski's shortcomings (going fast through choppy stuff). Although I'm not really flipping or spinning, so maybe the benefits of a shorter length are a bit lost on me.

So Melee....what were you guys testing up at Squaw this weekend?

Saw something with deathwish topsheets but whatever it was looked mighty fat-waisted....

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I've also heard some rumors of a possible Ghost Train remake.
    Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    So Melee....what were you guys testing up at Squaw this weekend?

Saw something with deathwish topsheets but whatever it was looked mighty fat-waisted....
    Just guessing...