Page 30 of 239 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Drilled and ready for bindings... Surprised by the amount of camber, the most of any of my skis (wife and her bff’s skis included).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D10ACC2C-AB90-4150-8F41-85B85ED8C7C6.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	659.5 KB 
ID:	290756

Fuck yeah Moment!! Thats a hell of a suprise!

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    The Chipotle Banana 186 is better. In our opinion...
    aren't they stiffer than wildcats? Even stiffer than meridian? I feel like stiff powder specific skis are... overkill? Probably I'm wrong and definitely not on the same level of skiing as Carston to enjoy benefits of a stiff wide full rocker ski, but from my POV powder specific rockered ski should be softer, because you don't need that stiffness cruising, buttering, jumping in powder or on little bit chopped powder. Soft skis will also be more friendly, allow you to float better. Like a ski for catskiing, powder touring, snowmobile assisted, etc. Like a touch softer, 124 waist wildcat or deathwish (not to go as crazy as ghost chant)? I realize that ski loses some versatility and that >120 waist skis are not selling that great... But that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW-skier78 View Post
    5’ 8’’ 200 lbs. Not taller but heavier. I think the biggest problem for me was I was coming from a ski w -11 mount and used to staying forward more. It is a good ski and super quick in moguls. It floated well for me in about a foot of snow but when it was 18 or deeper I ran into trouble.
    Well at 5'10", 190#, I've never had tip dive with 190 biby's, mounted on the mark. And they are plenty quick/maneuverable in tight trees, etc. Favorite powder ski to date.

Last lift day of last season was ~24"(+, maybe) of not-that-light (but not wet or even cream-cheesey) pow. And while the bibby's stayed afloat, no probs at all...I did wish I was going faster in some spots (seemed a little bogged down vs my buddy's bubbas). But this season I have Protests for those days, woohoo!

Those bananas do sound sweet though (but I wonder how quick they might or might not be, in the tight spots).

Those Chipotles are so rad looking. I love the large turn radius/reverse camber combo.

Is anyone skiing the 193 yet?

Maybe me in a few months...

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Well at 5'10", 190#, I've never had tip dive with 190 biby's, mounted on the mark. And they are plenty quick/maneuverable in tight trees, etc. Favorite powder ski to date.

Last lift day of last season was ~24"(+, maybe) of not-that-light (but not wet or even cream-cheesey) pow. And while the bibby's stayed afloat, no probs at all...I did wish I was going faster in some spots (seemed a little bogged down vs my buddy's bubbas). But this season I have Protests for those days, woohoo!

Those bananas do sound sweet though (but I wonder how quick they might or might not be, in the tight spots).
    Thanks for the feedback. I may have to give the 190 a shot. I do like the idea of having more ski in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    aren't they stiffer than wildcats? Even stiffer than meridian? I feel like stiff powder specific skis are... overkill? Probably I'm wrong and definitely not on the same level of skiing as Carston to enjoy benefits of a stiff wide full rocker ski, but from my POV powder specific rockered ski should be softer, because you don't need that stiffness cruising, buttering, jumping in powder or on little bit chopped powder. Soft skis will also be more friendly, allow you to float better. Like a ski for catskiing, powder touring, snowmobile assisted, etc. Like a touch softer, 124 waist wildcat or deathwish (not to go as crazy as ghost chant)? I realize that ski loses some versatility and that >120 waist skis are not selling that great... But that would be awesome.
    Buy a Line. Slow, jibby butters are their bread and butter.

Full reverse camber and stiff flex is an entirely different sport that these builders are trying to identify.

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Super soft fat powder skis are fun but they have a speed limit and tend to buck you when things get skied out.

We find the stiffer profile gives the ski a lot more versatility. Also, the Ghost Chant and Chipotle Banana have the same core profile. The Banana just has Ash stringers instead of Pine which make the ski a little more damp and slightly heavier....yes, the denser wood stringers stiffness up the ski but not by much. Stiffness is really defined by the core profile and composite choices.

Just because they are on the stiffer side doesn't mean you need to be Cartson Oliver to enjoy them...but you have to admit, Carston makes them look good:

Some guys even tour on the Banana:
    Name:  banana 1.jpg
Views: 2704
Size:  307.2 KB

You can still do butters:
    Name:  banana 2.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  155.5 KB

And guys that only weight 150lbs can have fun on them:
    Name:  banana 3.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  260.8 KB

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Buy a Line.
    Bad form on a dedicated Moment thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Bad form on a dedicated Moment thread

Yeah but that guy's responding to someone bitching about a stiff full rockered ski in the middle of banana stoke. Also, the night train was exactly what that dude was asking about, and yeah, too soft for inbounds chop (at my skill level atleast)

Luke - since core profiles are something the public rarely gets insight into - what would the main differences between the core profile of the chipotle and the meridian be? You mention the chipotle and ghost chant share a core profile, and the chipotle shares the ash stringers of the meridian (and wildcat 108, I believe?)

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Luke - since core profiles are something the public rarely gets insight into - what would the main differences between the core profile of the chipotle and the meridian be? You mention the chipotle and ghost chant share a core profile, and the chipotle shares the ash stringers of the meridian (and wildcat 108, I believe?)
    Core profile is the thickness throughout the length of the core. The thicker it is the stiffer the core will be. That being said you dont really put a lot of focus on how stiff the actual core is, its main purpose is moving the composites farther apart or closer together to define flex. You can further refine flex by changing what composites are on the top and bottom of the core.

The core profile on the Meridian, Ghost TRAIN (not chant) and Chipotle Banana are all the same core. Note that the Chipotle Banana is going to be stiffer than the Meridian because its wider (width is also another factor).

We have a few main core material combinations here at Moment. The Chipotle Banana has full length wood laminates of Aspen and Ash stringers. That being said just because another ski may share those materials does not mean its the same profile.

I tried to keep this as simple as possible...hope this makes sense.

Thanks, melee. Always enlightening and definitely makes sense.

The more detail you go into, the more it makes sense how you've structured the line and keep playing around with reserve shapes, materials etc. Try to keep things clear for consumers, still mess around with interesting shapes etc

The added detail fuels my passion for making under-informed conclusions about combinations of materials, shapes etc for hypothetical skis. Chipotle Banana shape, meridian tour layup. Call it the Chipotle Boomerang cus it's the tour version - out and back

Chipotle Banana shape, meridian tour layup. Call it the Chipotle Boomerang cus it's the tour version - out and back
    We already made a few of these last year!

Chipotle Banana shape, meridian tour layup. Call it the Chipotle Boomerang cus it's the tour version - out and back
    Low Carb Chipotle Banana it's my resort / touring pow ski. I think the pair came in at around 8 lbs...? Went with a crazy lightweight layup.

A care package arrived.

Goddamn you guys deliver. hot pocket did you go 186 or 193 on the low carb? I'm interested pretty much solely for touring would mount with a pin binder

and of course i just agreed to buy some praxis... god bless the northern nevada ski industry though fkna

hot pocket did you go 186 or 193 on the low carb? I'm interested pretty much solely for touring would mount with a pin binder
    Went with the 186. I'm 6'2 but only about 150lbs, so the 186 is plenty of ski for me. Plus we made the low carbs back around January, way before the decision to offer a 193 Banana.

If anyone is following this stoke from the ice coast, there’s some 184 Bibbys sitting at IME in North Conway waiting for a home. I’m just passing through on my way into them hills.... Looked like one big core shot that was well repaired and two mounts. Caveat emptor yadda yadda. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4049.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	291416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4051.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	291417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4048.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	291418

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah but that guy's responding to someone bitching about a stiff full rockered ski in the middle of banana stoke. Also, the night train was exactly what that dude was asking about, and yeah, too soft for inbounds chop (at my skill level atleast)
    Yeah, just skimmed it so didn't get the full context, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    If anyone is following this stoke from the ice coast, there’s some 184 Bibbys sitting at IME in North Conway waiting for a home. I’m just passing through on my way into them hills.... Looked like one big core shot that was well repaired and two mounts. Caveat emptor yadda yadda.
    What year are those from?

Quote Originally Posted by m19ab1 View Post
    What year are those from?

Those are the OG bibby shape, not the more powder oriented version they made for a few years. A few hundred grams heavier than current Bibby/Wildcat.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Those are the OG bibby shape, not the more powder oriented version they made for a few years. A few hundred grams heavier than current Bibby/Wildcat.
    I have them; love them, feel light. Would go one back.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This may be a bad data point because I don't have the 2012, but I do have both the 2013 model and the 2017 model and the weight difference is negligible: within 50g.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3771D843-2B08-4BF2-9C66-E5009A60E9C4.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	535.1 KB 
ID:	291608

My kiddo’s Carson’s
    My DeathWish’s