Page 11 of 241 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    We may be releasing a short run of the Wildcat 108s this season. Wont happen for at least a month... Will keep TGR posted.
    Name:  f1d0340975617a8edfb1c3cc42bb37b16600d6e24dbf632ec00128e80e20770c.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  38.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by beasttowest View Post
    Been wondering about auvgeek’s handle too. His reply confirms he is obviously a complete idiot. But seriously, very cool auvgeek. you get out on the water much to test your handiwork? How’d you get into underwater specifically?
    I totally appreciate the interest. I hate to divert from the focus of this thread....but I don't feel like it's worth starting my own thread -- how egocentric would that be? So I guess here's some irrelevant banter (IB):

Got into robotics because I've always been interested in using math and physics to solve real-world problems. My primary interest has been navigation and, to a lesser extent, control of unmanned vehicles. Underwater robotics is interesting from a navigation perspective (in part) because GPS doesn't work underwater.

Yeah, I do in-water testing, though not as much as I would like. We have a tank in our lab, but of course I got into a more ubiquitous class of torpedo-shaped vehicles that don't really work in our tank. And I'm kind of slow so I spend too much time working out the math and coding it up and not enough time

I *am* a complete idiot in that I have been stoked on maritime robotics since early high school, and I have prioritized it over skiing since then. And now that I'm about to finish my PhD, I realize how much I want to ski regularly and how hard is it to find a job doing underwater/maritime stuff near the mountains (let alone somewhere my wife also wants to live and can find a job). #firstworldproblems
    /blog
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

auvgeek, sounds like you need to move to Seattle. Checks all the boxes you mentioned....assuming your wife likes Seattle.

On a related note, sending you a PM about a couple of practical applications of your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    auvgeek, sounds like you need to move to Seattle. Checks all the boxes you mentioned....assuming your wife likes Seattle.

On a related note, sending you a PM about a couple of practical applications of your work.
    yeah, that’s where we met before I moved to the east coast for grad school. There are several very reasonable arguments against Seattle that I don’t really feel like airing publicly. But also, there aren’t a ton of jobs that I have found that are close enough to the mountains or with a flexible enough schedule to be more than a weekend warrior, which I would really prefer. Again, totally first world problems. So I’m currently targeting space robotics jobs in Denver area, since that’s where she’s currently living and working until I can finish up on the least coast.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 02-19-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Melee,

Whats going on with the Meridian series for 19/20? I only see a Meridian (107) on the preview site. Are you still making a 117 width as well? Any chance it comes longer in a 192?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveEastSkiWest View Post
    Anyone been on both the Deathwish 184 and the Atris 184 and want to take a second to compare/contrast? Have been on the Atris for 2 years. Like them a lot. Was debating between these two when I got them, and couldn't find the DW for a good price used so went Atris. Now there's a reasonably priced pair of DW's on gear swap and I'm tempted. Thoughts?
    I skied the 184 Atris briefly, have a gazzilion days on the Deathwish. I found that the Atris was softer, maybe a touch damper, but had a much lower speed limit. I didn't find it to be as predictable in bad snow, where the Deathwish has these two modes where you either drive the ski through the tips and it grips like crazy, or you stand back just a touch and can basically the pivot the whole thing just by barely engaging your ankles. Deathwish felt much lighter in the air.

Atris felt more like a Kartel 108, or ARV 106 to me, softer, a touch more "traditionally jibby"

To make a bad analogy, the Deathwish, is, to me, the definition of "tight-loose" when you want to charge on edge, the ski is all the way there, right underfoot, tracking strong, no matter what BS you put it through. But when you want to get real loose, throw that thing sideways, pivot through tight trees, butter out of an under-rotated spin, it can be super freaking loose, not catchy at all. It covers a huge spectrum of skier imput well.

The Atris felt like it had a narrower range. It couldn't be as tight (never had as good of edge grip, folded if I got too far forward), but it's also much harder to just pivot at low speeds in tight terrain. And was a bit more catchy if I screwed up a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I skied the 184 Atris briefly, have a gazzilion days on the Deathwish. I found that the Atris was softer, maybe a touch damper, but had a much lower speed limit. I didn't find it to be as predictable in bad snow, where the Deathwish has these two modes where you either drive the ski through the tips and it grips like crazy, or you stand back just a touch and can basically the pivot the whole thing just by barely engaging your ankles. Deathwish felt much lighter in the air.

Atris felt more like a Kartel 108, or ARV 106 to me, softer, a touch more "traditionally jibby"

To make a bad analogy, the Deathwish, is, to me, the definition of "tight-loose" when you want to charge on edge, the ski is all the way there, right underfoot, tracking strong, no matter what BS you put it through. But when you want to get real loose, throw that thing sideways, pivot through tight trees, butter out of an under-rotated spin, it can be super freaking loose, not catchy at all. It covers a huge spectrum of skier imput well.

The Atris felt like it had a narrower range. It couldn't be as tight (never had as good of edge grip, folded if I got too far forward), but it's also much harder to just pivot at low speeds in tight terrain. And was a bit more catchy if I screwed up a spin.
    Makes me want to try a DW

Who skis or lands airs on their bibby switch at -6?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    If you haven't tired the Deathwish you should...

Me, it’s a non issue.

Moment Skis Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I totally appreciate the interest. I hate to divert from the focus of this thread....but I don't feel like it's worth starting my own thread -- how egocentric would that be? So I guess here's some irrelevant banter (IB):

Got into robotics because I've always been interested in using math and physics to solve real-world problems. My primary interest has been navigation and, to a lesser extent, control of unmanned vehicles. Underwater robotics is interesting from a navigation perspective (in part) because GPS doesn't work underwater.

Yeah, I do in-water testing, though not as much as I would like. We have a tank in our lab, but of course I got into a more ubiquitous class of torpedo-shaped vehicles that don't really work in our tank. And I'm kind of slow so I spend too much time working out the math and coding it up and not enough time

I *am* a complete idiot in that I have been stoked on maritime robotics since early high school, and I have prioritized it over skiing since then. And now that I'm about to finish my PhD, I realize how much I want to ski regularly and how hard is it to find a job doing underwater/maritime stuff near the mountains (let alone somewhere my wife also wants to live and can find a job). #firstworldproblems
    /blog
    Come to the Bay Area.
    Plenty of jobs and startups out here in underwater ROVs. Tahoe is close enough, but it a bitch for day trips but weekends are very doable.

If you dive pretty hard to beat Monterey as a local dive site too

Yeah that comparison pretty much seals the deal as a deathwish for my next ski.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonisgood View Post
    My 108 tours are mounted -1 for shifts and so far very versatile for both frontside and backcountry duties. Not skiing them quite as fast on groomers as something with a bunch of metal, but that’s ok , these things are pretty damn light on the uphill
    Did you de-tune the tips and tails?

Any info on wildcat 108 regular and tour? I'm on crossroads - buy tour or regular WC 108 with Salomon Shift for resort/backcountry use. Bibby pro in 184 is one of my favorite models along with Armada Arv JJ and K2 Pettitor 120.

The Bibby still has a lot of tail at -6. Switch riding and landings are just fine as long as you don't plan to spend like half of your time riding switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    Any info on wildcat 108 regular and tour? I'm on crossroads - buy tour or regular WC 108 with Salomon Shift for resort/backcountry use. Bibby pro in 184 is one of my favorite models along with Armada Arv JJ and K2 Pettitor 120.
    I don't think anyone outside of Moment has ridden the Regular 108. I do own the Tour 108 in 190 cm and am 6ft 220. Here are my thoughts from a few days on them. Note this is only a few days because mine showed up in late January.

I use the Tour 108 with Shifts as my only touring ski and narrower travel ski (wide travel ski is a Billy Goat). They've had a mix of in resort and a small amount of backcountry because of that use profile. Downhill with them is excellent on soft groomers, softer chop and bumps. They're good at fresh though not as amazing as the Goats. The only condition so far where I've noticed the light weight negatively is deep and heavy chop where I would much prefer a heavier ski, the Goats have that covered.

I have not had the Cats on anything bulletproof yet for better or worse. I do think that relative to other ~105 width skis without metal they are pretty good and a heavier core would likely make them better, there is a surprising amount of traditional camber underfoot. The Tour core is pretty stiff and doesn't feel pingy (my wife is on some Navis Freebirds and she's complained about their damping on snow where I was happy on the Cats). Can't comment on breakable crust fortunately.

I am a backcountry JONG, don't trust my uphill opinions. They do feel light enough to me.

I think bourbonisgood and a few others own as well and I'd be interested in hearing from them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    The non tour Wildcat 108 is going to have the same dimensions as the 108 tour but is going to be a heavier lay up than even the regular 116/118 Wildcat(2000 grams in the 184cm) so it will actually be about the same weight as the old Bibby was.

Estimates around 2150 gram range on the regular 184cm Wildcat 108 vs the 1675 grams of the 108 Tour in the 184cm size.

Link in this thread about the 2019/20 Moment skis but here it is again with the 108 Wildcat shown.

http://www.mmntskis.com/

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Estimates around 2150 gram range on the regular 184cm Wildcat 108 vs the 1675 grams of the 108 Tour in the 184cm size.
    Interesting...but not for me. I like to still be able to tour, even on my heavier skis. That's cool - that's not this ski's target audience.

I'll be going a PB&J or Commander 98 instead.

Got a month long trip on my Wildcat Tour 108s starting tomorrow - will be sure to drop by with a review when I can.

Nice! So that would mean around 2200g or 2250g in a 190cm length. I'm in. And I'm usually wayyy to cheap for this sort of thing

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Nice! So that would mean around 2200g or 2250g in a 190cm length.
    Yeah, those specs are giving me some very special "feelings".

2250 grams in the 190cm yes. Should rip as it’s the same weight as the old Bibby but should have lower tip/tail swing weight with the semi cap construction now on the Wildcats.

Very similar to my new Enforcer Free 104 skis that have lighter swing weight than the Enforcer 110 yet weigh more. Great in crud.

Does anyone know if the meridian tour's rocker profile is more aggressive than 4frnt devs?

I don’t have the devs anymore but seems like the rocket is more aggressive on my 187 tours than it was on my 194 devs

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    Did you de-tune the tips and tails?
    Yeah, pretty aggressively as they came sharp! Did more detuning on these than I remember doing on my Bibbys when they were new

Luke talks with Blister about next year's skis https://blisterreview.com/featured/m...0-lineup-ep-38 It may be interesting to other fans. I found it worthwhile.