Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1996.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	264152

A quick bump to say that these relics from almost a decade ago got 'er done in some "interesting" conditions today. Each run included a few hundred vertical feet of 40+ cm deep pow which transitioned into hot pow of the same depth which finally transitioned into hot pow with a nice little zipper crust on the surface. Bibbys provided enough float to stay in the top few cm of the schmoo, a loose enough tail to break free and scrub speed when required and enough balls to stomp landings and blast through the chopped up jank when required. It's possible that Moment didn't hit it all the way out of the park with this ski, but they definitely hit it well into the stands and are justified at turning the bases with a bit of swagger prior to counting their well-deserved run.

I skied the same layer cake yesterday on my 190 Deathwishes and can say with certainty that they don't handle this stuff as well (duh!). DWs don't have enough float to stay close enough to the surface to break the tails free when required, the tips plow/hook more and they don't have the same balance of stiffness/dampness/pop that the Bibbys provide. Don't get me wrong, the DWs get the job done in a wide range of conditions, but the Bibby gets the job done better with less effort for me in soft/deep/janky conditions. If I was going to select one of these two skis as a one ski quiver (the travesty!) I'd select the Bibby. Its pow/crud performance significantly outweighs any minor trickability or quickness that the DW offers up in shallower conditions. Neither ski is going to replace something with metal in it when conditions are firm, so I don't think the DW's firm performance outshines the Bibby's enough to accept the soft snow/mank discrepency between the two skis. Lots of people love the DW, but I wonder how many of them have spent time on the Bibby? I'd say the Bibby is at least 85% as good as the DW in firm conditions while the DW is only maybe 70% as good as the Bibby in pow and crud. If I jibbed more/at all I'd probably value the DW's slightly lighter weight and softer flex more than I do.
    YMMV and all that, but hopefully this is useful for anyone looking at these two skis.

Orig. Bibbys still my Q of 1 for resort days!!!

The edges are round like Ariel Winter though, need to get em tuned up!!!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Ok.
    but have you been bibby'd yet?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Any consensus on mounting point for meridian tours? Taking my new 187s to get mounted tomorrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Any consensus on mounting point for meridian tours? Taking my new 187s to get mounted tomorrow afternoon.
    just hit up their chat on the website and they'll tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    just hit up their chat on the website and they'll tell ya.
    Can't speak to the tours but the regular Meridians I mounted on the line and that is perfect.

Mounted my wife's Meridian tours at about -1 and she likes them there on on the firm stuff has to keep on the front of the skis. I'm guessing that something between -1 and the line would be perfect depending on your preferences.

Mmm... OG Bibby stoke. Love it. One of my favorite topsheets, too.

Speaking of that hallowed ski. I saw that Josh is no longer skiing Moments. What happened to his namesake ski? Has it become something new; same ski with a different name? No more Bibbys?

I'd go try and re-read that other thread, but you know...

It's called the wildcat now, probably why they changed the name for this season.

Bibby(the one everyone loves) = Wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    It's called the wildcat now, probably why they changed the name for this season.

Bibby(the one everyone loves) = Wildcat
    Copy that. Gracias.

Any early reviews/stoke from people with some days on Wildcat 108 tours? Waiting for mine to show up.

PSA: cheap New Tahoe on ebay
    Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/264134178342

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Any early reviews/stoke from people with some days on Wildcat 108 tours? Waiting for mine to show up.
    I’m really liking mine so far, but still limited time on them. They feel really light on the feet but do have enough backbone to do what I want them to in soft snow. Doubt I’ll consider bringing these out if it’s icy or consolidated chop - there are obviously better tools for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonisgood View Post
    I’m really liking mine so far, but still limited time on them. They feel really light on the feet but do have enough backbone to do what I want them to in soft snow. Doubt I’ll consider bringing these out if it’s icy or consolidated chop - there are obviously better tools for that.
    Bad in ice and chop for a touring ski or relative to inbounds skis? From the shape I had guessed they'd be ok at ice compared to something like a 4FRNT Raven but I don't know yet for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Bad in ice and chop for a touring ski or relative to inbounds skis? From the shape I had guessed they'd be ok at ice compared to something like a 4FRNT Raven but I don't know yet for obvious reasons.
    In anything from 4-10” of pow and in soft chop they were great, haven’t tested them in any really bad snow. I just know if it’s icy, I’ll reach for a different ski

I remounted my DW with some demo binders this season to be able to share with guests. A week or so ago I decided to play with pushing the binding setting forward. Bored and curious, I guess. Let me 1st stipulate that I love the DW mounted on the line. SUPER versatile- can charge the fall line, smear and slarve, and rail when you lean ‘em over. Buuuuuuttttt....

Moment Skis Discussion

When I rode them forward they were a blast! Super pivoty, a breeze in moguls, and a dream in the tight trees. Like a totally different ski. I wouldn’t mount them with a traditional binding there but it is fun to mix it up.

Mounted up my Meridian tours yesterday with SSL 2.0s. I shaved 500g off each foot compared to my lotus 190-something 120s with FT12s. Looking at those 2 skis side by side I was really worried about how these Meridians would handle the deep days. They are quite a bit skinnier and have a much shorter tip with the center mount (I went -1).

Today was about a foot of new snow and these things are so much damn fun! So playful and they definitely want to bounce around and pop off of everything. Once you're up to speed they float pretty good. I am a little concerned at how they will do with bigger lines but time will tell. So far so good.
    Last edited by dfinn; 01-16-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Have any of you gotten on the Meridian Tours in variable snow? I've been loving my Meridians in the resort, but am wondering if it's the warden/atomic hawx boot combo or the ski that I'm digging. I'd be mounting tech binders and skiing a TLT7 with the Meridian Tours. Mainly just wanting something to switch it up from my Wailer 112's and use it as my early season/spring ski. Thoughts?

Anybody know the mount point on the 187 Belafonte? Thinking that might be a good ski for me, if I can find them cheap. (yes, exactly like the pair I just missed in gear swap)
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Anybody know the mount point on the 187 Belafonte? Thinking that might be a good ski for me, if I can find them cheap. (yes, exactly like the pair I just missed in gear swap)
    -9mm. Great ski. And I like the older normal camber ones better than the triple camber model.

Good luck, they are hard to find. I had a snag a pair "off market" from Doebedoe

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    -9mm. Great ski. And I like the older normal camber ones better than the triple camber model.

Good luck, they are hard to find. I had a snag a pair "off market" from Doebedoe
    So what's up with that? Seems a lot of people love the deathwish to the point of Bibby/BG levels etc. but I don't see much love outside of that particular model as far as the triple camber, any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    So what's up with that? Seems a lot of people love the deathwish to the point of Bibby/BG levels etc. but I don't see much love outside of that particular model as far as the triple camber, any insight?
    The older model is slightly stiffer and has more effective edge. It made a difference in my opinion. Super stable and balanced. The 186 triple camber version felt a bit short and for me.

Its all personal preference though.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    The older model is slightly stiffer and has more effective edge. It made a difference in my opinion. Super stable and balanced. The 186 triple camber version felt a bit short and for me.

Its all personal preference though.
    Any weirdness regarding edge maintenance, waxing, etc? (and thanks for response)

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Any weirdness regarding edge maintenance, waxing, etc? (and thanks for response)
    No prob. No, all pretty normal. The Triple Camber is subtle. When i started not to click with the ski I thought it was the triple camber's fault, but then realized it was more about the stiffness and effective edge.