Page 31 of 241 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    I have some Jaguar Sharks that a maggot could have on the cheap. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Core profile is the thickness throughout the length of the core. The thicker it is the stiffer the core will be. That being said you dont really put a lot of focus on how stiff the actual core is, its main purpose is moving the composites farther apart or closer together to define flex. You can further refine flex by changing what composites are on the top and bottom of the core.

The core profile on the Meridian, Ghost TRAIN (not chant) and Chipotle Banana are all the same core. Note that the Chipotle Banana is going to be stiffer than the Meridian because its wider (width is also another factor).

We have a few main core material combinations here at Moment. The Chipotle Banana has full length wood laminates of Aspen and Ash stringers. That being said just because another ski may share those materials does not mean its the same profile.

I tried to keep this as simple as possible...hope this makes sense.
    Knowledge bombs. I love it!

2020 Deathwish 190cm quick review after 7 days in New Zealand:

Skier: 6'2" @205lbs & ageless. Salomon 916 metal binders mounted +2. I've skied every version of the 190cm since inception.

Conditions included 6-12" of blower, windblown, wintery chalk to firm yet carvable groomers. Skied every type of terrain to chutes, open powder, high speed groomers to groomers with the kids.

The new 190 Deathwish is a bit more solid from tip to tail as the ski overall feels just a bit stiffer over the 2019 model. Carving on groomers and laying over the edge remain the same as last model...the skis like a little bit of speed and ankle roll to get those GS turns cranking. For larger wide open carves, just roll them over and hold on.

On the steeper stuff, the ski performs a bit better than last year. The ever so slight stiffening of the ski allows you to push it a bit more and feel more confident with high speeds out of a choke etc.

Other than the new graphic, that's about it! If you like last years, you continue the like the new one IMHO.

Name:  DW_Remarks_2019.JPG
Views: 1286
Size:  279.5 KB

Anyone got time on the Commander 98? Feels like it could be spot on for my needs - tour-able firm snow ski for low snow areas. Zero chance of demoing in the near future...are there any other skis that they are kinda similar to?

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    Anyone got time on the Commander 98? Feels like it could be spot on for my needs - tour-able firm snow ski for low snow areas. Zero chance of demoing in the near future...are there any other skis that they are kinda similar to?
    I’ve got the 98s (& they are for sale) they rip. They are really a hard snow charger. Ask any questions!

I’m just looking to get 108s

Any Bibby owners ride the Commander 118?

I loved the Bibby but wanted something closer to -8 mount with less tail rocker and less overall volume in the tail. Really, I just want a slightly more directional Bibby without sacrificing too much of that magic Bibby maneuverability (though maybe I'm expecting the impossible?)

In that regard, the Commander seems like it might* be a good direction for me to go.

However, it looks like the Commander 118 has a different construction, is lighter, and has less effective edge (in comparable-ish lengths), so it's really hard to tell if it's going to have a similar feel to the Bibby. I really loved the Bibby's mix of dampness to pop.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Attachment 291608

My kiddo’s Carson’s
    My DeathWish’s

Kiddo should love them. Our 10 yo granddaughter is on her second pair, same as in your photo in a 136. The day we put her on the first pair she told us to “throw them away” when I asked her what we should do with her old pair of Nordica’s. At six years old she knew right away. Seeing as Tuesday (day after Labor Day) is the “turn” in my book she will be mounting up a pair of Zephy’s in a 146 for pow days. I will post a photo when she’s done.

Is it dumb to own a 184 and a 190 Wildcat? I’m 6’ and 190lbs. I bought the 184 as a tour ski after ACL surgery. I normally would get the 190 but was conservative and got the 184. Great ski, punches above it’s weight for sure. I just want a bit more ski out in front. Feels like it dives a bit too much at slower speeds.
    I think the 184 as a lighter touring setup and the 190 as a sled ski side country rig.
    Is there a major difference between the two? Will the 190 be sufficient and sell the 184?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’m 5’10 180 and feel the same about the 184. I have changed my stance though; more upright, standing on top of ski as opposed to driving the front. I’d like 1 cm back maybe but I think it’s the ski technique that makes most difference. I’m going 1 back on my wc 184 108 tours and on the line with my 190 reg 108s. My Quixote taught me to be more centred, very similar (for me) to bibbys/wc.

Yea. That’s definitely been the case for me on the 184s. The only time it seems to be a problem is low angle pow at slow speed. I wish I would have got the 190s now but I was thinking about my new knee at the time of purchase. Looking for a bigger ski now and like the feel of the wildcat minus the above. I’m hoping that the 190 will have more room for top speed and float in the ultra deep.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
    Is it dumb to own a 184 and a 190 Wildcat? I’m 6’ and 190lbs. I bought the 184 as a tour ski after ACL surgery. I normally would get the 190 but was conservative and got the 184. Great ski, punches above it’s weight for sure. I just want a bit more ski out in front. Feels like it dives a bit too much at slower speeds.
    I think the 184 as a lighter touring setup and the 190 as a sled ski side country rig.
    Is there a major difference between the two? Will the 190 be sufficient and sell the 184?

6'0 165, here. I ride Bibby 190's inbounds and have shifts in my 184's. I'm in Mammoth so the 184's are strictly touring+pow days when the top doesn't pop. It sounds weird and hoarder/overlap-queenish but I think I need both. Despite the fact that they're the same shape +/- 2mm, they feel remarkably different and each have their own place in my quiver.

Anyone skiing -2 from recommend on 188 pb&j? About to mount at -1, still looks short at the front...

I ski mine on the line and like then there, but I could see going back a cm, -2 might put you too close to the tail rocker.

I also ski bibbys at -1 and like then there too so who knows

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I ski mine on the line and like then there, but I could see going back a cm, -2 might put you too close to the tail rocker.

I also ski bibbys at -1 and like then there too so who knows
    Awesome. Thank you.

Yea. That’s definitely been the case for me on the 184s. The only time it seems to be a problem is low angle pow at slow speed. I wish I would have got the 190s now but I was thinking about my new knee at the time of purchase. Looking for a bigger ski now and like the feel of the wildcat minus the above. I’m hoping that the 190 will have more room for top speed and float in the ultra deep.

I own 184s and 190s. I think there is a place for both but obviously there is a fair amount of overlap. 190s def have a higher top speed.

I know this is a moment thread but have you thought about Billy Goats instead of a 190 Bibby’s? They should float better than a Bibby. I’ve never really thought my 190 Bibby’s had much more float than my 184s, just more stability at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromNS View Post
    6'0 165, here. I ride Bibby 190's inbounds and have shifts in my 184's. I'm in Mammoth so the 184's are strictly touring+pow days when the top doesn't pop. It sounds weird and hoarder/overlap-queenish but I think I need both. Despite the fact that they're the same shape +/- 2mm, they feel remarkably different and each have their own place in my quiver.
    Thanks. From what I’ve been able to read about these two skis, this makes sense. I’ve got a buddy that’s been skiing in the 190s forever. Looking back at the tracks on big faces his turn always seems a bit bigger and longer than mine. Turn envy, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    I own 184s and 190s. I think there is a place for both but obviously there is a fair amount of overlap. 190s def have a higher top speed.

I know this is a moment thread but have you thought about Billy Goats instead of a 190 Bibby’s? They should float better than a Bibby. I’ve never really thought my 190 Bibby’s had much more float than my 184s, just more stability at speed.

I can see this being the case. I feel like the 184s will be more playful and the 190s faster. Just how much of a difference is what I’m curious about. The 184s are pretty solid when you let them buck; are the 190s that much better to justify having both?
    I have other big skis for deep days. The Bibby has been a great sled ski for me in the alpine. It’s able to handle less than perfect conditions well and still shred in the deep. Just looking for something with more stability and float that can handle the alpine fuckery too.

Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure if this is helpful, but they do make a touring core version now.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    I’ve got the 98s (& they are for sale) they rip. They are really a hard snow charger. Ask any questions!

I’m just looking to get 108s
    Thanks man - how do the 98s go on icy slopes? I'm after a southern hemisphere daily driver, and it needs to handle pretty firm snow most of the time.

Also, are they reasonably damp (I know they don't weigh a lot)? How about stiffness...if I read Blister right, the Commanders are some of the stiffest skis they make. Did that have an impact on how they felt?

As an aside to the present conversation, I'm a 184 all the way on the Wildcat. Tried a 190 and I was working up and down that ski to get it turning. But sweet baby jesus could I go fast through anything. (178cm tall, 76kg). I think it was on the Blister podcast that Luke said if the Wildcat length is up around your eyes, that's about right. I can definitely vouch for that.

Too add on, my 184's are mounted +1 due to hole conflicts. I've never really experienced tip dive but I'm not that heavy and Sierra snow is pretty supportive. I really like them at +1, they feel a bit more agile when spinning off tiny hits and bouncing through tight trees.

I might be moving to San Diego this spring so I might have to sell off some of the quiver... don't know if I can continue to justify owning to two Bibbycats.

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    Thanks man - how do the 98s go on icy slopes? I'm after a southern hemisphere daily driver, and it needs to handle pretty firm snow most of the time.

Also, are they reasonably damp (I know they don't weigh a lot)? How about stiffness...if I read Blister right, the Commanders are some of the stiffest skis they make. Did that have an impact on how they felt?

As an aside to the present conversation, I'm a 184 all the way on the Wildcat. Tried a 190 and I was working up and down that ski to get it turning. But sweet baby jesus could I go fast through anything. (178cm tall, 76kg). I think it was on the Blister podcast that Luke said if the Wildcat length is up around your eyes, that's about right. I can definitely vouch for that.
    I’m an East coast firm snow skier & with the CMD at 3/.05 bevels in a 178, they rail. I was using em on the Women’s WC hill post race & there was no issue on injection snow. They need a lot of real estate to properly turn. I’ve occasionally run GS & coached juniors on em with no issues. GO shorter, rather than longer.

I don’t find them overly damp, but they are on the stiffer side of things- not as stiff as a SL ski with a plate & a metal clamp- but torsionally stiff. They are not a noodle- I do feel that they are sluggish in the wet/soft unless on edge. These are the first sub 180 Ski I have really been happy with. They are a few CM over my head & had me thinking I could pull off a 168 108- likely would stay 178. They are a charging carver that also handles variable crap well.
    Last edited by iriponsnow; 09-02-2019 at 08:58 PM.

hot pocket - how did the custom lo carb chipotle nanners compare in flex to something like the meridian 107?

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    hot pocket - how did the custom lo carb chipotle nanners compare in flex to something like the meridian 107?
    dramatically softer...

Melee, i have interest in a couple models, but gotta space purchases apart for monetary reasons. I'm assuming Commander 124 is gonna be in the lineup for a bit, but Chip Banaña only preseason preorder?