Page 24 of 239 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    You guys are hilarious.

It's a wood core.

We strive to make the left and right ski as close as we can.

70g is .15lbs. Not much variation for the PAIR. We will talk to mother nature about this and ask her to do better.

We can not realistically match the numbers we list on the website unless we move to a foam core or another controllable substrate

At the end of the day the ski feels and rides damper than our traditional build. Don't read into the numbers too much, that's Blisters job.
    This. Also I take it everyone has uniformly calibrated their scales!! Stop obsessing about genuinely unimportant details and get skiing those beauties! Madness.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Melee any chance we can use the current deal ($100 off) on skis for when they come back in stock? Looking to get some Wildcat Tours but like most of us ski bums am broke right now and that $100 off makes things a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by pembyguy View Post
    This. Also I take it everyone has uniformly calibrated their scales!! Stop obsessing about genuinely unimportant details and get skiing those beauties! Madness.
    I'm not sure an offhand comment qualifies as "obsessing."

But it'll be about 8 months before I get to ski them, so I figure I might as well spend it bitching about a few grams.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm not sure an offhand comment qualifies as "obsessing."

But it'll be about 8 months before I get to ski them, so I figure I might as well spend it bitching about a few grams.
    Lol. It does, you’re welcome, and of course correct. It is exactly that time of year; consider me realigned.

Just finished 4 hours of skiing on the 108 190.

Few things:
    - First a big thanks to Luke and the crew for making this ski, I was pushing for it big time and am really glad it happend.

- I was skiing a few inches of spring pow(schmoo) variable soft chunky snow and some slush.

- I love heavy skis with plush suspension that I can ski hard and fast through variable conditions.

- I have a 11/12 bibby that I love and am a pretty big fan of 188 PB&J.

So I think shape and profile wise this might be the best playful charger in the mid fat category out there and I have skied almost every one of them.
    The sidecut/turn radius gives you the ability to let ski run straight, in big stable turns and the rocker lets you release the tail when you need to manage speed or slarve a turn, it’s fucking awesome.
    It lays a trench on the groomers, ever feel like the bibby feels a bit wide and slow edge to edge? Yeah this fixes that.
    The ski is very stiff and has great pop and energy, it’s awesome for straightlining and feels super solid on landings.
    It likes a centered/forwardish stance, so not fully centered but not all tip pressure like a cochise.

My one caveat is that the ski feels really light. Now I dont want Luke to smash his keyboard, the ski is still very damp, I am actually amazed at how little chatter there is when skiing fast for how light it is at this width.

The issue is that the ski has such a low swing weight (less than my park skis, it’s crazy!) that when you’re trying the feather your turns skiing fast through more tracked/chopped up snow you can feel the tips be thrown more to the side than you want, and you have to put in extra effort to keep them tracking. This is only noticeable in more chopped variable, anything smooth’ish you dont feel it and the ski is a gun.

My old bibbys also have a very light swingweight(though not as light) but weight nearly 2400g, they do not have this issue. Now I know Moment hasn’t made the ski lighter on purpose, but at some point physics does play a role and some extra weight in the tips and tails might make the ski perfect.

All in all I need to keep skiing the ski and if anyone is on the fence that doesn’t have a weight fetish like I do needs to get on a pair, Moment knocked it out of the park.

Let me know if anything wasn’t clear
    Last edited by mr_pretzel; 04-17-2019 at 07:48 PM.

^^^ This doesn't change the fact that I'm going to buy them, but it does raise issues with my obsession with weight.

(also, nice write up. Psyched to get on some)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Just finished 4 hours of skiing on the 108 190.

Few things:
    - First a big thanks to Luke and the crew for making this ski, I was pushing for it big time and am really glad it happend.

- I was skiing a few inches of spring pow(schmoo) variable soft chunky snow and some slush.

- I love heavy skis with plush suspension that I can ski hard and fast through variable conditions.

- I have a 11/12 bibby that I love and am a pretty big fan of 188 PB&J.

So I think shape and profile wise this might be the best playful charger in the mid fat category out there and I have skied almost every one of them.
    The sidecut/turn radius gives you the ability to let ski run straight, in big stable turns and the rocker lets you release the tail when you need to manage speed or slarve a turn, it’s fucking awesome.
    It lays a trench on the groomers, ever feel like the bibby feels a bit wide and slow edge to edge? Yeah this fixes that.
    The ski is very stiff and has great pop and energy, it’s awesome for straightlining and feels super solid on landings.
    It likes a centered/forwardish stance, so not fully centered but not all tip pressure like a cochise.

My one caveat is that the ski feels really light. Now I dont want Luke to smash his keyboard, the ski is still very damp, I am actually amazed at how little chatter there is when skiing fast for how light it is at this width.

The issue is that the ski has such a low swing weight (less than my park skis, it’s crazy!) that when you’re trying the feather your turns skiing fast through more tracked/chopped up snow you can feel the tips be thrown more to the side than you want, and you have to put in extra effort to keep them tracking. This is only noticeable in more chopped variable, anything smooth’ish you dont feel it and the ski is a gun.

My old bibbys also have a very light swingweight(though not as light) but weight nearly 2400g, they do not have this issue. Now I know Moment hasn’t made the ski lighter on purpose, but at some point physics does play a role and some extra weight in the tips and tails might make the ski perfect.

All in all I need to keep skiing the ski and if anyone is on the fence that doesn’t have a weight fetish like I do needs to get on a pair, Moment knocked it out of the park.

Let me know if anything wasn’t clear
    Nice write up! Can you compare them to the PB&J's?

I have the Bibbys and they've pretty much been my daily driver, but want something narrower. Can't decide if I should go WC108 or PB&J..

Sent from my DRA-LX3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bredey View Post
    Nice write up! Can you compare them to the PB&J's?

I have the Bibbys and they've pretty much been my daily driver, but want something narrower. Can't decide if I should go WC108 or PB&J..

Pb&J has a smaller radius so it is more fun on groomers, it feels much quicker edge to edge and feels more like a narrow ski than the 108. The 108 feels like a more precise wildcat 118 while the PB&J feels more like a wider park ski with Wildcat DNA.
    Both are really good.

Probably more versitiale to have a PB&J and Wildcat 118 though, but if generally ski soft conditions the 108 would be sweet.

Pb&J has a smaller radius so it is more fun on groomers, it feels much quicker edge to edge and feels more like a narrow ski than the 108. The 108 feels like a more precise wildcat 118 while the PB&J feels more like a wider park ski with Wildcat DNA.
    Both are really good.

Probably more versitiale to have a PB&J and Wildcat 118 though, but if generally ski soft conditions the 108 would be sweet.
    Great info thanks. Do you feel the difference of the cores, i.e. is there a noticeable difference in terms of stability and pop? I'm also interested to know which one deals with firm (groomers) better.. the narrower PB or the damper / heavier WC108?

Well since my PB&J weighs the same as the W108 I might not be the best to ask. My PB&Js almost feel more substantial than the w108, but I might just be making that up. The aspen/ash feels more quite, but with the carbon/glass layup both skis are plenty poppy.

The pb&j is going to be more fun on firm groomers due to the narrower waist and shorter radius.

pretzel, sweet review - thanks! Have you skied the commander 108? that's the comparo I'm looking for.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    pretzel, sweet review - thanks! Have you skied the commander 108? that's the comparo I'm looking for.
    No I haven't, would love too demo, but I think for a more directional charger I would want more weight. I have wren 108s and 192 cochises.

No I haven't, would love too demo, but I think for a more directional charger I would want more weight. I have wren 108s and 192 cochises.
    What's the best way of thinking about the Wren 108 vs. the Wildcat 108?

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Wren 108: -10 mount point. Feels a lot more directional and traditional, skied with a more forward stance, but can still be skied quite centred. Less playfull more carvy. Damper, heavier layup and tips are a bit softer so they provide better suspension.

Wildcat 108: -6 mount point. More playful, can be carved, slarved or skidded when you want. Feels much less directional, but can still handle some tip pressure/forward stance. Not as plush suspension.

^^^
    Would be easier figuring out which skis to buy if some of them sucked. Thanks for the awesome review and comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    I haven't even been on my Wildcat 108's yet but I have a lot of days on Wren 108's (maybe 40-45) and I can say with confidence those are totally different skis. Different enough that I fully intend to keep both.

Just got mine yesterday!

You guys are hilarious.

It's a wood core.

We strive to make the left and right ski as close as we can.

70g is .15lbs. Not much variation for the PAIR. We will talk to mother nature about this and ask her to do better.

We can not realistically match the numbers we list on the website unless we move to a foam core or another controllable substrate

At the end of the day the ski feels and rides damper than our traditional build. Don't read into the numbers too much, that's Blisters job.

My Wildcat 108 190's just arrived yesterday and they are delicious... I'm not Blister, but I decided to weigh them, 2066 and 2065... Almost identical... Great job Moment!
    Last edited by turp1twin; 04-19-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Moment Skis Discussion

I've demoed the 187 Meridian 107s the past three days and can offer a mini review, plus have a few questions. On a general note, Moment is amazingly generous in their demo/mounting/tuning/bootfitting offerings and it's a huge benefit to skiing in Tahoe.

It's been full-on slushy spring conditions at Squaw and the Meridians are great in slush bumps and thick, heavy snow.

I'm 5'11, 155lbs and have had them mounted on the line (-5cm), 1.5cm back (-6.5cm), and one click of the demo bindings in between those two (about -5.75cm). I generally use skis with mount points in the -8cm to -9cm range so the Meridian mount point is a change for me, but my favorite skis are Billy Goats which prefer a more centered/pivoty style than traditional charging skis.

I've settled on preferring the -5.75cm mount point. At -5cm, it felt like I couldn't quite get as far forward on the skis as I'd like when trying to carve hard, but I lost a lot of maneuverability at -6.5cm.

The full rocker is great for ensuring the tip and tail don't get hung up in thick snow and they pivot really well. They're noticeably quicker and easier in slush bumps than 186cm Line Supernatural 108s and don't feel too much less damp/stable than the SN108s in cut-up mank (of course, this is soft snow, so the damping of the SN108's metal doesn't matter as much). I really enjoy the SN108s but find them to be a lot of work in bumps and heavy snow due to their weight, so the Meridian 107s seem to be a major improvement for that. The Meridian 107s are far more playful as well.

My only concern about the Meridian 107s is how they'll do on firm snow. There's been nothing remotely firm to try them on the last few days and they're so loose (which I love) in soft snow that I don't know how they'll perform on firm groomers or if I hit a steep, icy patch in some chute. Online reviews don't suggest that will be an issue, but if anyone has had a similar experience on the Meridians in spring snow as me, I'd love to hear what you thought of them in firmer conditions.

Wren 108: -10 mount point.
    Not that it detracts from your point, but the set back on Wrens are size specific. 10.25 for the 189s, 9.25 for the 184s, prob 8.25 on 179s (have never measured, and Blister provided the two other)

I have not skied the WC 108, but demoed the Wren 108 at Alta a few weeks back. I did not get along with that ski at all, and not sure why cause I have the old 186 Wren, which I find to be a very forgiving yet fairly stable ski in softer snow.

I had to ski the W108 very centered as it did not like driving the tips. The tips and tails felt quit stiff as well, and per usual ON3P it was very damp and little rebound. It also felt edgy, which I would not expect from a ski with a ton of tip rocker, so I think maybe the tune was bad? Usually ON3P is spot on for flat bases, so not sure. Couldn't wait to get back on my Monster 108s!

^^^ same experience with the Wren 108. Wanted to love it but didn’t. If you like your Monster 108s, demo the Commander 108. It’s much more versatile than the Wren 108 imo.

Quote I found from Melee. Semi-cap 2.0 from 18/19 is where all the weight got saved.

Skied on the Wildcat 108 again today. It’s so fun it’s banans

“The ski got a tiny bit lighter a couple years back when we went to semi-cap and changed again when we revised the semi-cap two version 2.0 which now exists on all production models we make.

Additionally, we changed how wide the sidewall is inside the ski. Its a much stronger and advanced process than it used to be. There is some weight savings here as well since the area is now being filled by Aspen instead of UHMWPE. (The core got wider and the sidewall got skinnier, but the overall strength and bond went through the roof).

Its not some super wimpy ski, it skis the same or even more aggressively.

We dont like super light skis. There are no lighter "tour" composites in any of our non-tour builds”

honestly, those are hard to say no to....