Page 19 of 239 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Would you rather work on your form or have an undersized ski?

174 is going to feel quite short.

I’m 6’1” and don’t have an issue doing kick turns on the 190cm. It just takes some practice and maybe working on flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    I'm 5'10" and find the length of the 184 bibbys to be a bit unwieldy on steep kick turns during the uphill... thinking of pulling the trigger on some Wildcat 108 tours, but I'm afraid the 174 length will be too short... anyone have any thoughts on this? Maybe I just suck at kick turns

Moment Skis Discussion

x2. I’m 5’10” and used to tour on the 190 bibby without issue. The length never bothered me, just the weight.

Even on steeper skin tracks?

I was on a skin track in the Sherwins this past weekend that required a lot of balance in order to complete the kick turn, and it was gassing me. The slope was nearly 40 degrees though the track itself was closer to 20-25. It's mostly the tails that are the issue. Also I'm recovering from an ACL reconstruction and might have a bit of mental block.

Damn that dw 112 tour looks cool. Amazing how many high quality skis moment is currently putting out *and selling*, and pretty amazing on the weights, too.

Superior - pretty sure I sold you those tallacs because of that. The tallac is not triple camber. Simple rocker/camber/pretty flat tail. I had previously detuned the fucking shit out of them, coming past the taper points especially on the tails. Put a 1/1 tune on them again when I sent them to you. When detuning, I took a bastard file to the edges up past the contact points and literally rounded them. Honestly, it did not do that much. Between the amount of pop/carbon in that ski and the tail shape those fuckers stayed locked in.

You’ll figure out kick turns on the 184 with some practice. They measure shorter in the tour version by about 2cm. No idea why...

I would guess more time on the 174cm will make you really dissatisfied. The 190cm non tour feels really quick to me. The 184cm felt short... I can’t imagine the 174cm over 5’8”.

Even on steeper skin tracks?

I was on a skin track in the Sherwins this past weekend that required a lot of balance in order to complete the kick turn, and it was gassing me. The slope was nearly 40 degrees though the track itself was closer to 20-25. It's mostly the tails that are the issue. Also I'm recovering from an ACL reconstruction and might have a bit of mental block.

Yeah I haven’t noticed. But I used to tour only on bigger skis so maybe I’m just used to it now.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Damn that dw 112 tour looks cool. Amazing how many high quality skis moment is currently putting out *and selling*, and pretty amazing on the weights, too.

Superior - pretty sure I sold you those tallacs because of that. The tallac is not triple camber. Simple rocker/camber/pretty flat tail. I had previously detuned the fucking shit out of them, coming past the taper points especially on the tails. Put a 1/1 tune on them again when I sent them to you. When detuning, I took a bastard file to the edges up past the contact points and literally rounded them. Honestly, it did not do that much. Between the amount of pop/carbon in that ski and the tail shape those fuckers stayed locked in.
    Thanks for the info, they definitely are triple camber, however.

You can see the “cleats” when pressing the skis together.

I’m going to savagely detune them and report back. They were manageable in corn last spring and skied sweet on Beartooth Pass.

Deep early season pow was good too. Anything in between is not....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Thanks for the info, they definitely are triple camber, however.

You can see the “cleats” when pressing the skis together.

I’m going to savagely detune them and report back. They were manageable in corn last spring and skied sweet on Beartooth Pass.

Deep early season pow was good too. Anything in between is not....

Pretty sure the Tallac isn't supposed to have triple camber. So if it does, maybe that's a sign of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Pretty sure the Tallac isn't supposed to have triple camber. So if it does, maybe that's a sign of an issue.
    There were two years of the Tallac, one which was a touring Governor (the one you guys are talking about) and one which was a touring Belafonte (which did have triple camber, the one SUPERIOR is talking about).

Quote Originally Posted by hot.pocket View Post
    There were two years of the Tallac, one which was a touring Governor (the one you guys are talking about) and one which was a touring Belafonte (which did have triple camber, the one SUPERIOR is talking about).
    Ah. Right on. I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Question about detuning triple camber:

I have the 2016 Moment Tallac with lots of camber in the middle, plus the mustache rocker.

I tuned them earlier this year, and fuck if I can’t get them to release in the tips and tails on anything but very soft snow (corn or pow).

The ski stays locked in a turn like a ginsu steak knife otherwise. No joke, it hurts my knees to crank turns in variable snow.

I feel like an idiot. How do I detune this ski correctly?

Detune with a file and gummy from the tip and tail right up to the first contact points. With the bindings brake secured, lay the skis on a flat surface to see where the the ski contact points start and put a piece of tape in that area on the topsheet so it’s easy to see where to detune up to.

Will be surfy when needed and grip when you need it. Find Moment skis like 1/1 edge bevels and that’s what they come with from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    You’ll figure out kick turns on the 184 with some practice. They measure shorter in the tour version by about 2cm. No idea why...

I would guess more time on the 174cm will make you really dissatisfied. The 190cm non tour feels really quick to me. The 184cm felt short... I can’t imagine the 174cm over 5’8”.
    Ah okay this is good info. The 184 tour being 2cm shorter makes it more palatable to me. I think you're right about the 174 being a dissatisfying transition. Plus, the 21m radius of the 184 is much more appealing than the 19m of the 174.

Think I'll go 184 and just work on those steep kick turns.

Moment Skis Discussion

Good call, I 100% agree with all the cats recommending as such. Being undergunned sucks, been there and definitely regretted it.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Speaking of undergunned suckiness, props to Melee and the crew for putting up some 194s next year. Impatiently awaiting that commander 118. Having loved my bibby's to death and currently really digging the governor's, I'm pretty stoked to see what they're putting together in this "updated governor". In my fever dream it's a governor with some bibby Dna mixed in. And some metal?

Had a romantic dinner with Melee just over a week ago...he says that the Commander 118 should be a better overall 'Governor.' I wasn't a big fan of the Governor but he assures me that I will like the new version. If I get on a pair I will definitely post thoughts on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Had a romantic dinner with Melee just over a week ago...he says that the Commander 118 should be a better overall 'Governor.' I wasn't a big fan of the Governor but he assures me that I will like the new version. If I get on a pair I will definitely post thoughts on this thread.
    Rad.

I hear he only has eyes for Ryan Gosling, but by all means, lay on the charm and get a pair! I begged and pleaded with one of the moment guys, but sounded like no-go this year for mere mortals such as myself

My biggest complaint about the govy is the lack of energy in the ski. Probably contributes to it's excellent stability, but from my brief experience on the Commander 98, that construction will provide a lot more life.
    Yep, stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    Rad.

I hear he only has eyes for Ryan Gosling, but by all means, lay on the charm and get a pair! I begged and pleaded with one of the moment guys, but sounded like no-go this year for mere mortals such as myself

My biggest complaint about the govy is the lack of energy in the ski. Probably contributes to it's excellent stability, but from my brief experience on the Commander 98, that construction will provide a lot more life.
    Yep, stoked.
    Wish we could make more Commanders now and release them but we are at the mercy of our Titanal supplier whose lead times are insane. Global trade and Aluminum tariffs don't help either...

Unfortunately we just don't have the material to make any real volume at this time.

I did have a good phone call with the Austrian supplier this morning and it sounds like we should be getting our Titanal sooner than when they first told us.

Fingers crossed...

Out of curiosity, any reason why Titanal is preferred over something like a more generic 7075 aluminum? Surely the very slight difference in material properties isn't going make a substantial difference in performance... is it because it's manufactured to accommodate a ski layup?

Out of curiosity, any reason why Titanal is preferred over something like a more generic 7075 aluminum? Surely the very slight difference in material properties isn't going make a substantial difference in performance... is it because it's manufactured to accommodate a ski layup?
    Its pretty close to 7075.

The manufacturer made up the name Titanal and its for ski manufacturing. It has a special temper and surface treatment that really aid in bonding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    They measure shorter in the tour version by about 2cm. No idea why...
    Our tour skis are the same sidecut and rocker profile as their resort counterparts with the exception of the fish tail for your skins tail clip.

We just cut 2cm into the twin tip of the skis so that tail clip doesn't slide off.

The contact points and all other elements of the skis are identical.

And it saves tons of weight!!

FWIW, I’d love to see the Commander go narrower.....

88mm would be perfect here in the East & would temp more folks over to your skis.

I’ve been looking at the catalog and wondering what’s narrower that I would like!

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    FWIW, I’d love to see the Commander go narrower.....

88mm would be perfect here in the East & would temp more folks over to your skis.

I’ve been looking at the catalog and wondering what’s narrower that I would like!
    Question to a legit skier/family....if in previous posts you say the 98 does it all...slices and dices, carves, etc....why the need to go narrower?

Not being a dick...just always wondering why “going narrower” (ie. PugSki) is so sought after...when you have a 98 that is so good at doing what you need it to. Why ski a 78/88....when the 98 already rips?

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Question to a legit skier/family....if in previous posts you say the 98 does it all...slices and dices, carves, etc....why the need to go narrower?

Not being a dick...just always wondering why “going narrower” (ie. PugSki) is so sought after...when you have a 98 that is so good at doing what you need it to. Why ski a 78/88....when the 98 already rips?
    Question is totally legit and appreciated. I would say that there are a number of individuals who are turned off by a ski that is almost 100 mm wide and would not consider it because of that. That said - I’m older (43), however still as sponsored skier & as a vocation, I am a physio and strength conditioning coach- not representative of your average skier.

A narrower ride would be more manageable across a wider range & in the East: more desirable in the trees and bumps.

Moment Skis Discussion

Thanks...I just sometimes wonder why so much disdain for wider skis (on Pug)... I love mine (Katanas) and really don’t want to go back to a <88 ski. Different strokes for different folks. No worries.

Sorry, don’t want to shit up this thread. I enjoy reading about the Moment Mag discussion...

Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post

A lot of us have spent so much time on wider skis in recent years (98 being the low end) that we're kinda shocked at how well something narrower actually performs on groomers and in bumps. At least that was my personal experience. So I get it.