Page 141 of 241 FirstFirst ... 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,525 of 6023
    Quote Originally Posted by RadSkier_ View Post

The WC108 is not that great at slower speeds (see blister review of the ski for confirmation from guys who know).
    Second this sentiment, they want speed to come to life. The DW is better at slow speeds than the WC108 IMO, especially in the tour versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Speaking of touring, anyone got quick thoughts on the commander tours? They're heavy, which isn't necessarily bad, but I would have expected moment to try to hit the ~1700g mark, not almost 2000g.
    I’m on the 182 and haven’t had them out yet this year.

However, I did not purchase these skis to be light. I purchased them for consequential ski mountaineering, as I believe a 1,900g ski with more backbone is better for my style of skiing than a 1,700g ski, which I tried and hated.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I’m on the 182 and haven’t had them out yet this year.

However, I did not purchase these skis to be light. I purchased them for consequential ski mountaineering, as I believe a 1,900g ski with more backbone is better for my style of skiing than a 1,700g ski, which I tried and hated.
    This is sort of my use case for this kind of ski and am curious. Variable eastern Sierra spring descents. Curious to hear what you think...

I’ve got one day on Commander Tour 182s. I think they’ll be perfect for late season missions, and low tide conditions in general. They’re very damp and composed in roughed up snow, like a real ski with metal in them. They’re probably one of the heaviest skis ever with tour in their name, but they definitely inspire confidence. Floatation seemed average for a 104mm ski, and generally good once up to speed.

That’s about all I’ve got for initial impressions after one day out in marginal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Second this sentiment, they want speed to come to life. The DW is better at slow speeds than the WC108 IMO, especially in the tour versions.
    I bought the WC108 first, and really like it - got the full fat Wildcat late last season when I found a deal too good to pass up. I think the full size Wildcat is definitely chargier and requires more input and speed to come to life. The 108 isn't a noodle or anything, but seems easier going to me.

I am interested in the DW104 though, seems like that would be a better compliment to the WC as the WC + WC108 combo has a lot of overlap.

The choice between WC tour, WC 108 tour and DW tour seems impossibly difficult to me, but in the end they are all incredible touring skis and probably any one could be a touring DD. Trying hard to talk myself out of 184 WC tour when I already have 190 WC 108 tour…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I bought the WC108 first, and really like it - got the full fat Wildcat late last season when I found a deal too good to pass up. I think the full size Wildcat is definitely chargier and requires more input and speed to come to life. The 108 isn't a noodle or anything, but seems easier going to me.

I am interested in the DW104 though, seems like that would be a better compliment to the WC as the WC + WC108 combo has a lot of overlap.
    I have OG Bibbys and bought WC108 a few seasons ago. Replacing the WC108 for DW104 this season for exactly the reason others have stated. Hoping to get my first day on then later this week. Will report back soon.

Depending on the snow you get a DW104 and a WC might be an awesome combo.

I suspect the WC 108 would be great too, depending on your mountains, snow, and type of skiing you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Just finished my first day on the 188 CMD 108 (on the line); this ski fucking rips. Had it in everything from ice to corduroy, roughed up groomers, steeps, set up chop, and boot deep day old leftovers (alpine not open yet). I'm 6'2/210, aggressive skier, and coming from a 191 M102 in this slot. For me and my weight, the CMD 108 is a much more balanced ski. It holds an edge just as well as the M102 (the M102s strong suit IMO); I could literally stand on the edge doing mach GS turns on roughed up groomers and not worry about a thing, did not find the top end. The swing weight of the CMD is much lighter despite similar weight, however, so it is way more manageable and fun in steeps, and tight spaces; the camber makes it super poppy edge to edge at my weight, they are super easy to shut down/slarve, and easier than the M102 to bend into smaller radius turns when desired.
    I really liked the M102 on groomers last year, but found it had too much top end at my weight (more of a 250# human ski maybe based on input on here), which made it pretty dead everywhere else; manageable, just not that fun. Perhaps I would have been better off on the 184 M102, but have never skied anything that short so was hesitant.
    This thing is a fucking blast. Didn't get it in any pow, and on those days I'm more likely to bring out the DX or R11, but based on today, I have a feeling it'll float well enough for a firm snow ski due to the tip rocker and splay. I'll post up more thoughts once I get more time on em, but for me, these are super intuitive, very composed at high speeds, super quick edge to edge, and are gonna make me a better, more confident skier. Should be great for low tide days when you're hunting for stashes but may not find any. A 191 M102 should be up in gear swap soon.
    I seem to remember you putting up a pair of Woodsman 110 192 up for sale. Was it to compliment the Commander 108 or did you get the Commander to replace the Woodsman?

I've had nine days now on the Woods110 192 (+4 days on Billygoat 118 192) in this absolute awesomeness of a season we've had so far in the Alberta Rockies, perfect deep pow to packed pow conditions everyday on this ski and I'm just not getting along with it. While I absolutely love the Billygoat since its first iteration, I find the Woodsman to ski quite unpredictably in comparison, little too much shin pressure and I seem to overpower or even spin around the tip, little too far back and the longer tail gets away from me. I feel like I need to ski it very centred yet I still can't quite let it run through choppy conditions without feeling like the tip may 'catch'. I've even done a full retune at 2/1 with nice detunes and while better, still not the most confidence inspiring ski.

Looking for a "playful directional charger" and the metal in the Commander 108 has me intrigued. Has this become that ski for you and how does the CM108 in 188 compare to the 192 length of the Woods? Did you contemplate the 194? While I hate to turn this into a ON3P vs Moment comparison, its what I know and having skied the Wrenegade 108 189 in the past, I'm looking for a similar yet slightly looser (less locked in tail) version.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I seem to remember you putting up a pair of Woodsman 110 192 up for sale. Was it to compliment the Commander 108 or did you get the Commander to replace the Woodsman?

I've had nine days now on the Woods110 192 (+4 days on Billygoat 118 192) in this absolute awesomeness of a season we've had so far in the Alberta Rockies, perfect deep pow to packed pow conditions everyday on this ski and I'm just not getting along with it. While I absolutely love the Billygoat since its first iteration, I find the Woodsman to ski quite unpredictably in comparison, little too much shin pressure and I seem to overpower or even spin around the tip, little too far back and the longer tail gets away from me. I feel like I need to ski it very centred yet I still can't quite let it run through choppy conditions without feeling like the tip may 'catch'. I've even done a full retune at 2/1 with nice detunes and while better, still not the most confidence inspiring ski.

Looking for a "playful directional charger" and the metal in the Commander 108 has me intrigued. Has this become that ski for you and how does the CM108 in 188 compare to the 192 length of the Woods? Did you contemplate the 194? While I hate to turn this into a ON3P vs Moment comparison, its what I know and having skied the Wrenegade 108 189 in the past, I'm looking for a similar yet slightly looser (less locked in tail) version.
    Awesome that the early season has been great there as well; been a fantastic December. Yep, sold a 192 Woods 110 last week. Honestly, I just bought the wrong ON3P for me; should have grabbed a Wren 110. That said, Iggy was fantastic to deal with and I'll be back once the piggy bank has been refilled. I prefer stable, precise skis with some camber, and appreciate torsional stiffness as I like to drive shovels and put a ski on edge in just about anything, so should have grabbed something in the 110 width with metal. The Woods just wasn't precise enough for me in the short time I was on em; different strokes and all that though.

Re the CMD 108, bought em as a complement; firm snow charger vs soft snow DD was the initial thinking. Have about 15 days on em now, and everything I said about em above still stands; I've also had em in knee/thigh deep pow and they float surprisingly well for a stiff chargy 108 ski. It'll be my resort/sidecountry DD at WB for the foreseeable future.

I did consider the 194 (they weren't avail when I bought FWIW), but after talking to a fellow large fella at Moment who skis the 188 I went that route, and haven't looked back. It has enough top end to straight line out of trouble and hold up, while also being short enough to comfortably negotiate entrances. From everything I've read though the 194 is also super approachable and if it was avail that might be what I would have grabbed (though no regrets at all with the 188). The CMD 108 is just super intuitive and composed and I don't have to think about much when on em if that makes sense; and for me, compared to the 191 M102, just way more fun/energetic/poppy/etc with similar edge hold and top end (ie. haven't found either). 184 M102 might be the closer comparable to the 188 CMD 108 though.

Re 192 Woods vs 188 CMD length, the CMD measures close to 187, and I haven't looked at the EEs/rocker profiles in a while (since shopping), but I'd say the CMD feels like more ski in a more compact package that is more predictable (for me) and still slarves easily (I don't noodle though and Im a larger human). Though to be fair, IMHO they're a pretty apples to oranges comparison with different users/uses in mind (metal and a flatter tail vs neither of those).

Can't help ya with the Wren comparison as sadly I've never been on one (sure someone here has been on both and can chime in), but yah, I am very happy I grabbed a CMD 108, and I also picked up a CMD 118 during the Moving Sale and love it too (though its much more a comp ski in all the best ways, haha). Lastly, I'm nobody, so YMMV Hope that helps. Cheers.
    Last edited by Sylvan; 12-25-2021 at 11:47 PM. Reason: More words.

Those of you stuck in the wc108 tour vs deathwish tour…

My take is that there are many shortcomings that have been outlined in this thread about the 108 and 108 tour.

I’ve never read a single complaint about the DWT.

It appears to be the better ski
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Those of you stuck in the wc108 tour vs deathwish tour…

My take is that there are many shortcomings that have been outlined in this thread about the 108 and 108 tour.

I’ve never read a single complaint about the DWT.

It appears to be the better ski
    After having WC108 and WC108 tour, and then getting the new DW (and now DWT), I concluded exactly the same thing. Its a better ski.

New DW with beefier core and slightly stiffer flex fucking rips.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    After having WC108 and WC108 tour, and then getting the new DW (and now DWT), I concluded exactly the same thing. Its a better ski.

Have you ridden the Commander 108?

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Have you ridden the Commander 108?
    Yeah, I have the 20/21 in the 194.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hum, I may be an outlier. Just got my first pair of DWs. Only one day on them, but my initial impression is my WC 108 has a higher top end and is easier to break free to slarve. Like them, don’t love them yet, to be continued…

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Hum, I may be an outlier. Just got my first pair of DWs. Only one day on them, but my initial impression is my WC 108 has a higher top end and is easier to break free to slarve. Like them, don’t love them yet, to be continued…

Yeah, we all have our preferences so saying x ski is better than Y ski is sort of goofy. What’s better for one person’s style (or size) may not apply to someone else.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post

To clarify my opinion, I also have the Wildcat 118 in my quiver. If I'm going to be skiing anything narrower than those, I would prefer it to have better edge hold for groomers and firm snow. The Deathwish are superior to the WC108 in this aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah, we all have our preferences so saying x ski is better than Y ski is sort of goofy. What’s better for one person’s style (or size) may not apply to someone else.
    Agreed. And I feel in some specific cases folks might prefer to have the WC108 rather than the DW in their quiver. I'm just not one of them.

However, all this comparison is irrelevant, because the Garbone is the greatest ski ever made. That is all.

To clarify my opinion, I also have the Wildcat 118 in my quiver. If I'm going to be skiing anything narrower than those, I would prefer it to have better edge hold for groomers and firm snow. The Deathwish are superior to the WC108 in this aspect.

I tend to agree. My touring ski is the DWT, which suits for whatever I come across in the BC. I have a pair of the OG DW as a rock ski, early season, but I find I reach for this instead of narrower options days after a storm. But I took the WC 190’s out in 7”+ of Pow/Soft Chop today and they CRUSHED!!! I forgot awesome this ski is and how much I truly love it. I can’t even imagine a better resort Pow ski.

Took my DWT 184 to the resort today to get some practice on them in 12” of blower, as I’ve only got three tours with them and hadn’t found the sweet spot yet . Wow they did not disappoint. So poppy and playful. Was porpoising out of the snow and making little jumps in every undulation, easily the most fun ski I’ve ever been on.

Even once tracked up, they held their own quite nicely.

I’m stoked to get my Bibbys out next storm.

Got another full day on my DW 104s. Very very happy with them. Skied 20"+ of heavy snow and soft chop as well as most things could in it's waist width. Prefers to not just crush through stuff (184s) compared to something like my Corvus (188) -- but loves jumping off soft piles and making quick movements. The 104s are way more fun on groomers and soft bumps than my OG 112s -- just quicker edge to edge and less width to navigate in the bumps. They stayed composed through some unnecessary straightlining through crud and very composed and quick in the air. Rad ski.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Got another full day on my DW 104s. Very very happy with them. Skied 20"+ of heavy snow and soft chop as well as most things could in it's waist width. Prefers to not just crush through stuff (184s) compared to something like my Corvus (188) -- but loves jumping off soft piles and making quick movements. The 104s are way more fun on groomers and soft bumps than my OG 112s -- just quicker edge to edge and less width to navigate in the bumps. They stayed composed through some unnecessary straightlining through crud and very composed and quick in the air. Rad ski.
    Are you in Tahoe? They sound as a good ski for me. I would like something easier than my Wildcat when it’s not that deep, tracked out or just steep and I can’t go >30mph. I switched back from 15 years of boarding 2 years ago and I suck in moguls or in heavy tracked out snow. I plan to go to the factory to demo them (in 179cm, size down from my WC) and will decide between these, the enforcer 104 or
    Masterblaster.

CO based.

I think these are a touch easier to ski than the E104 and the Masterblaster (based on friend-demos of both) mostly due to the lighter weight. The grip similar to the E104, better than the MB on firm (could also be tune of course) -- but the other two are more composed in crap snow.

They have no problem at speeds below 30. And are fine at much high speeds.

CO based.

I think these are a touch easier to ski than the E104 and the Masterblaster (based on friend-demos of both) mostly due to the lighter weight. The grip similar to the E104, better than the MB on firm (could also be tune of course) -- but the other two are more composed in crap snow.

Thank that helps! More and more excited to try these out.

CO based.

I’m loving all of this great feedback on the DW104. Sounds like moment nailed it with this one. Sadly, by the time I was ready to pull the trigger they had just sold the last pair of 190CM

I’ll just keep on trucking with my well worn Fischer Ranger 102’s for low tide this season and then grab next year’s DW104 with the updated top sheet (can it possibly be better than this year’s though?)