Page 12 of 241 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Gosh I want to try the wildcat 108, Great podcast!

That wildcat looks like a blast. Stoked to try it

Saw a pair of Underworlds in a shop the other day (2017 model). Was it just me or are the tails flatter than the tips? Looked almost more directional than twin tipped.

Anyone got a quick summary of their experiences on the ski? I'm looking at something in those dimensions...but have never skied triple camber before.

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    Saw a pair of Underworlds in a shop the other day (2017 model). Was it just me or are the tails flatter than the tips? Looked almost more directional than twin tipped.

Anyone got a quick summary of their experiences on the ski? I'm looking at something in those dimensions...but have never skied triple camber before.
    I bet you saw Belafonte/Tahoe 106. Underworld/Deathwish Tour has same shape as Deathwish

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    I bet you saw Belafonte/Tahoe 106. Underworld/Deathwish Tour has same shape as Deathwish
    maybe, but it was definitely this topsheet -

https://www.evo.com/skis/moment-underworld

Next year's Moment line-up....is a problem. A big f'ing problem.

I have OG Bibbys that are fully at rock/pow-ski status (grinding em again would bring it down below base to core), and I'm ready to re-up my resort powder slayer. But now there is the Commander 118 (and 124!!), the Meridian 117, and the Wildcat. How the hell am I supposed to choose?? Ugh. TOO MANY GOOD OPTIONS.

Maybe C118 AND Wildcat comparo? Time to make some Reno trips to demo it up I guess. #momentskierproblems
    sproing!

Q for deathwish owners: when are you NOT on them - when do you grab something else?

I would assume one end of the spectrum is ice/low-tide. When else?

Got a pair of Deathwishes in early Jan and have skiied them every day I've gotten out since. I haven't wanted to get on anything else really. Granted, it has been mostly pow in Tahoe since then.

I f I were being picky, on the real heavy cutup days, I might go back to the Cochise, or on really deep days I'd rather have a Wildcat (or a mount point a little farther back on the Deathwish), but they do everything really well, and are remarkably fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderBreak View Post
    Got a pair of Deathwishes in early Jan and have skiied them every day I've gotten out since. I haven't wanted to get on anything else really. Granted, it has been mostly pow in Tahoe since then.

I f I were being picky, on the real heavy cutup days, I might go back to the Cochise, or on really deep days I'd rather have a Wildcat (or a mount point a little farther back on the Deathwish), but they do everything really well, and are remarkably fun!
    Are you on the line? I am considering buying a pair and mounting at -7cm from center (-2cm from recommended) as they would be the soft snow ski in a two ski quiver, and I prefer more traditional mounts due to tele bs.

Out of curiosity, anyone gone further back than that on their DW?

Yeah, mounted at recommended point. Which I think is -5cm? Would consider 1 cm or 2cm further back if pow performance was more of a priority.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Caved and bought THE last pair of 187 Meridian 107 last week. Got em mounted yesterday. Damn these are sexy. First laps tomorrow. Can't wait.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190301_134843.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	272049
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	149 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	272046  

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Caved and bought THE last pair of 187 Meridian 107 last week. Got em mounted yesterday. Damn these are sexy. First laps tomorrow. Can't wait.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	170 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	272049
    Please report back! Want more beta on these...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post

Fair amount of in-depth reviews out there. Here's my two cents on a pair of '16 meridan 107's in the 187.

Started skiing these early season on man-made snow. They want to jump off of everything and spin. October in nevada. Wearing a flannel and listening to raggae, never spun in my life til I put these on. Then it snowed. And snowed.

Surprised by how well these do in chop. Like you flex em, and you ski em on soft or groomed, maybe jib off a cat track or two, and think meh yeah these will kinda hold their own in chop. In shallow chop they can fucking jam. Like my feet don't agree with my other senses on how well these ski chop.

They do pretty well in cut-up resort pow, too. Pulled em out one afternoon after a 24" dump and a morning on protests. Yuge troughs all aboot. They're pivoty enough and damp enough that you can zipper the troughs. Smeary enough to pop face shots on top of pillows between troughs. Playful enough to jib off troughs, damp enough to pull it back together. Shit you could probably even tail gun them. They ski chop like 87.4% as well as my 2011 bibby's and make my legs like 24% as tired.

Full reverse so you can throw the tails around if you want. Fun pivoty tree ski - not a lot of taper at all though so in hooky snow they feel like all 187cm. The lack of taper and full rocker makes for a *very* predictable ski in tight terrain. In funky snow they want you to boss them around, respond accordingly. You can still pivot and jib all playfully. They WILL run on their radius unless you're skiing neutrally, IME

Good on any groomer that's soft. Decent speed limit for a ski w/o metal on groomed, definitely a good speed limit for a full reverse ski. Definitely feels like you get a lot of effective edge, and nice pop/flex if you drive em. Not my ski of choice on ice. But ice isn't my snow of choice for skis, either

Pardon the long and colorful review. Hope it was helpful. I went heliskiing for the first time in my life today and am still a *little* high from it. For the record I debated 190 bibby's or 192 praxis gpo's for heliskiing in girdwood during a high pressure system. GPO's ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderBreak View Post
    Yeah, mounted at recommended point. Which I think is -5cm? Would consider 1 cm or 2cm further back if pow performance was more of a priority.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Have had three pair and mounted all on the line. Put a pair of demo binders on my old pair for friends and family to use. I fiddled around with moving them back and forward and liked them best on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Q for deathwish owners: when are you NOT on them - when do you grab something else?

Deep. FWIW I already sold mine, but I reached for something more pow-specific on deep days. Don't get me wrong, they're fine, just nowhere near as fun as even a bibby in deep snow (which is not the most pow-oriented 118 ski)

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Next year's Moment line-up....is a problem. A big f'ing problem.

I have OG Bibbys that are fully at rock/pow-ski status (grinding em again would bring it down below base to core), and I'm ready to re-up my resort powder slayer. But now there is the Commander 118 (and 124!!), the Meridian 117, and the Wildcat. How the hell am I supposed to choose?? Ugh. TOO MANY GOOD OPTIONS.

Maybe C118 AND Wildcat comparo? Time to make some Reno trips to demo it up I guess. #momentskierproblems
    C118 supposed to be chargier than the wildcat. I rode a lift and skied a lap with a guy on c124's because his comi's were in the shop. Looks like that thing is the pow ski of the bunch.

I also need to replace aging bibby's eventually. I think this year I'm gonna get the new wildcat 108 aka skinny bibby we have all wanted for years and see how it does in chop. And see how it stomps compared to the bibby. Protests are so fun and can go fast enough to make me reconsider having a moment as the widest ski in the quiver. C124 may change that, but need to get on em

For me, low tide isn't often that low, so the Deathwish is by far my favorite ski for bad conditions around here. Grips real well.

On super deep days I used to reach for the K2 Catamaran, or the new Atomic BC 120, but then I skied some stupid deep days on the Deathwish and realized for how I like to ski, the Deathwish is sorta perfect. Kartel 116 would be a rad complement to the Deathwish, or as mentioned, the Wildcat.

If I could justify a non-Deathwish low tide ski, I think the PB&J would get a ton of time on snow, especially in the spring. That ski really tempts me, who knows, might spring for a pair someday.

My 190s (mounted at -1 from recommended) are my "in-between/feeling a little mellow/playful" skis. I end up skiing them a lot and rarely wish that I had reached for something else. They are great skis that have delivered lots of great days in a wide range of conditions. I dig them and will likely replace my pair with something similar if they ever die. That said, they aren't magic. When it's legitimately firm/hard my OG 185 Cochises are noticeably better in every way except for riding switch and popping little side hits (Cochise hold a stronger edge, are significantly more damp, are easier to slarve into tight spots and through hard bumps and have a great edge feel that is hard to describe/not found in many other skis). When it's even close to deep my 190 Bibbys get the nod every time. Bibbys float better, are looser, blast through crud/imperfect snow better, provide a bigger stomp platform and are more consistent and predictable all around. Recent time on Protests and Steeple 108s has tarnished the Bibby's deep pow luster somewhat, but they are still fun as hell and noticeably better than the DW in pow.
    DW was my main touring ski for a few seasons. It fills this role pretty well, but I haven't regretted the switch to Steeple 108s once. Steeples are noticeably better in pow, substantially better in variable backcountry conditions,don't give up anything noticeable on firm conditions where you're probably not carving/riding the ski's radius anyhow.
    If I could only have one ski it would probably be something like the DW. Knowing what I know from skiing other skis I'd want to have something on either side of the DW. YMMV and all that of course.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post

Got about 10 or so runs on this Meridian 107 in 187cm today. Super fucking fun. As others have said they just want to pop off everything and are so playful. The 187 definitely feels short at first, but due to the not-too-much full rocker it's all there when you lay them over. I like the subtle full rocker and not the "rocking chair" that some full rocker skis have.

When you hand flex these skis you think, "Wow, that's softer than I expected," but they ski much stiffer which I was happy about. I knew I was gonna get them into much deeper snow than they were designed for today. Upwards of 30" up top in the last 5 days. About 4" of nice light snow last night on the heavier snow from earlier in the week. Again, pleasantly surprised. Only felt under gunned when I got into some untracked off the headwaters hike and edges of the gullies off the peak.

Lots of chop and moguls around today. They do perform pretty well in chop, but there is obviously always another ski that could do better (but would be a bear to drag around the hill all day). I definitely pushed them by straight lining a couple aprons and they held their own up to 35 or so MPH in dense chop with the occasional mogul/snow pile popping up and trying to take you down.

In moguls these things really shine. Takes little effort to rip a nice zipper and showboat for people on the chair. They just turn so damn easy. On soft groomers you can lay nice big train tracks. Very fun and intuitive. You don't have to think about these skis, you just go rip them and have a blast while doing it.

I bought these as my everyday and am already so stoked on them that I will want to get the 117 as soon as possible. Great fucking skis.

Got about 10 or so runs on this Meridian 107 in 187cm today. Super fucking fun. As others have said they just want to pop off everything and are so playful. The 187 definitely feels short at first, but due to the not-too-much full rocker it's all there when you lay them over. I like the subtle full rocker and not the "rocking chair" that some full rocker skis have.

When you hand flex these skis you think, "Wow, that's softer than I expected," but they ski much stiffer which I was happy about. I knew I was gonna get them into much deeper snow than they were designed for today. Upwards of 30" up top in the last 5 days. About 4" of nice light snow last night on the heavier snow from earlier in the week. Again, pleasantly surprised. Only felt under gunned when I got into some untracked off the headwaters hike and edges of the gullies off the peak.

Lots of chop and moguls around today. They do perform pretty well in chop, but there is obviously always another ski that could do better (but would be a bear to drag around the hill all day). I definitely pushed them by straight lining a couple aprons and they held their own up to 35 or so MPH in dense chop with the occasional mogul/snow pile popping up and trying to take you down.

In moguls these things really shine. Takes little effort to rip a nice zipper and showboat for people on the chair. They just turn so damn easy. On soft groomers you can lay nice big train tracks. Very fun and intuitive. You don't have to think about these skis, you just go rip them and have a blast while doing it.

I bought these as my everyday and am already so stoked on them that I will want to get the 117 as soon as possible. Great fucking skis.
    Thanks for the beta!! Same to srufian, very helpful info!
    I’ve been thinking hard about switching from Chipotle Banana to 117 Meridian for a little versatility, or keep the CB, get rid of Line SN 108 and just replace with little Meridian for a rocker quiver of 2...all good skis!

FWIW, one of my stronger ski buddies rides SN108 inbounds. On icy days, he has a higher speed limit than I do on Meridian 107's. He's from the east coast originally though, but I keep up w him on ice on bibby's. I have most aspects of my quiver pretty dialed at this point, but with the meridian as my skinniest ski feel like I want something more for iced out days inbounds (fortunately with the year we've had at tahoe, I've had maybe 3 this year?). Probs buying the new wildcat 108 for those days.

Have you skied Devastators? We seem to be into the same shit. Thanks for the review

Hey Moment, since you guys have talked about people messing with rocker profiles and flexes, like the PB&Death, etc: have you ever built a Deathwish 112 with a bibby profile? Any thoughts on how that would ski?

I could envision skiing two layups with the Deathwish 112 shape and Bibby profile:

- PB&Jib layup (bamboo + extra glass & rubber) with Bibby flex for inbounds. Mount at rec with P18.
    - tour layup with standard flex (and skin-clip tail) for pow touring. Mount -1 from rec with Tecton.

Why? Well, I just really like the width and shape of the Deathwish compared to the Bibby but I'm not sold on triple camber. I also like the idea of having a similar shape for inbounds and pow touring. And I love the feel of bamboo for inbounds. And frankly, I love my 2014 ON3P Jeffreys to death, but they're gonna die one day and ON3P doesn't really make anything like them anymore. But ...
    186 Jeffrey 110: 136 110 128 R25 (straight tape 186.8)
    190 Deathwish: 138 112 129 R27 (straight tape 188.2 per Blister)

All that said, I know rocker and sidecut are intimately linked, and I don't want to mess anything up too badly by altering the way the rocker and sidecut match up.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 03-03-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Have you skied Devastators? We seem to be into the same shit. Thanks for the review
    I haven't been on the devs before. For what it's worth I had both skis sitting in carts on the websites before deciding to go with the Meridians.

My reasoning for going with the Meridians was overall stiffer flex (mostly in the tips and tails) and length. I needed a ski that was a little more chargey and not a slower speed jib tool. I also felt like 184 in full rocker would just be too short. I am sure the Devs are a fucking blast, but I am happy with the Meridian so far.

Edit: I was wrong about the rocker. The profile pics on blister review show very little rocker on the Devs.

Moment Skis Discussion

Sounds like you made the right choice. The 184 Dev feels like a toy compared to the 194. I personally don’t get the rocking chair effect on those skis but perhaps that’s because I have them mounted -1cm which allows for a slightly more forward stance? Who knows. I’ve definitely felt that feeling on my 196 Renegades in crud, especially when my legs are tired, which has always made me a little afraid of how pronounced that might feel in the 186 length of that ski.

Wonder if a 187 Meridian could replace both my Devs. The 194 is a killer ski but it does tire me out. I just sold my 184 to my buddy who isn’t hefty like me, perfect for him, but he’s smaller and skis a little less aggro.

See my edit above about rocker.

Also, I am 5'7" and about 140-150#, but I have always skied bigger skis.