Page 117 of 239 FirstFirst ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 5956
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I'm in the market for a wider everyday ski for Tahoe next season. debating between a Rustler 11 and Wildcat. they seem like pretty similar skis in a lot of ways but I haven't seen much in the way of direct comparisons. tried searching this thread without much luck. I assume some of yous guys have time on both skis, I'd appreciate any thoughts. as far as my use case - I have a 106 waist ski but I'm primarily a one-ski kinda guy, don't really like switching back and forth. so I imagine whatever I add to the quiver is going to see most of my inbounds ski days. I'll be mounting with shifts for sidecountry and pow touring, but prob 75% inbounds/25% touring expected. I'll be skiing inbounds with my kids when they're not doing ski team stuff, and charging otherwise. I'm mostly a directional skier but curious to try a more progressive design. so I'm looking for something fun and versatile, not a one trick pony that has to be skied at mach chicken all the time.

Rustler 11 sounds spot on for what I want but the WC sounds pretty similar and is very tempting. shapes appear quite similar, WC has more tail rocker, bit wider and a bit heavier. so prob marginally better on deep days, maybe a bit less of an allarounder/wider every day inbounds ski? I realize this is the moment thread but look forward to feedback from the group.
    I've owned both.

R11 is a touch better on hardpack and groomers; Wildcat/Bibby a touch better in soft now. R11 is slightly more directional, and a bit damper (but not much). Wildcat is better in the air and landing. Also, Moment has better/beefier construction by quite a bit (I snapped my R11s at the titanal breakover - good luck snapping a Wildcat!). Blizzard graphics are boring AF, while your Moments will be works of art. IMO

Also my opinion -- don't get the Shifts. Suck at touring and suck at binding. YMMV
    sproing!

^^^ thanks meter man, about what I expected to hear. what size were on you on for R11 and WC? R11 I'd go 188, WC I'm kinda in between 184 and 190. 190s wider waist is a slight negative for me for versatility, and although I have 40 yrs of skiing under my belt I'm not an exracer and haven't been on a 190 since I was a teenager... but it looks to be about the same actual size as the 188 R11.

hear you on the shifts, I'm a bit conflicted. I skied them every day this last season, inbounds and bc, and overall they did the job. didn't have the prerelease issues that some have and I put some big touring days on them without issue. I kept expecting them to explode, and I wound up warranteeing both heels and brakes, but they still feel like maybe the best solution for me. considering Cast as well.

190 moment and 188 Blizzard are about the same size. The 184 moment is pretty short. I’ve skied a 184 Wildcat tour and 184 Deathwish tour and both were really short compared to the 188 Rustler.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I've owned both.

R11 is a touch better on hardpack and groomers; Wildcat/Bibby a touch better in soft now. R11 is slightly more directional, and a bit damper (but not much). Wildcat is better in the air and landing. Also, Moment has better/beefier construction by quite a bit (I snapped my R11s at the titanal breakover - good luck snapping a Wildcat!). Blizzard graphics are boring AF, while your Moments will be works of art. IMO

Also my opinion -- don't get the Shifts. Suck at touring and suck at binding. YMMV
    +1 to all of this.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

+1 with what they said. I hesitated between the R11 180cm and WC 184, tested both and found that they were very similar. I think the only difference in feel that I found came from the mount point. R11 is 2cm back compared to the WC. I bought the WC but would have been happy with the R11 as well.

Moment Skis Discussion

Also, if you got the Wildcats, you’d be supporting one of your local ski builders.

Moment = Heavy Metal and PBRs
    Blizzard = Smooth Jazz and Pinot Grigio

Choose wisely.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I'm in the market for a wider everyday ski for Tahoe next season. debating between a Rustler 11 and Wildcat. they seem like pretty similar skis in a lot of ways but I haven't seen much in the way of direct comparisons. tried searching this thread without much luck. I assume some of yous guys have time on both skis, I'd appreciate any thoughts. as far as my use case - I have a 106 waist ski but I'm primarily a one-ski kinda guy, don't really like switching back and forth. so I imagine whatever I add to the quiver is going to see most of my inbounds ski days. I'll be mounting with shifts for sidecountry and pow touring, but prob 75% inbounds/25% touring expected. I'll be skiing inbounds with my kids when they're not doing ski team stuff, and charging otherwise. I'm mostly a directional skier but curious to try a more progressive design. so I'm looking for something fun and versatile, not a one trick pony that has to be skied at mach chicken all the time.

Rustler 11 sounds spot on for what I want but the WC sounds pretty similar and is very tempting. shapes appear quite similar, WC has more tail rocker, bit wider and a bit heavier. so prob marginally better on deep days, maybe a bit less of an allarounder/wider every day inbounds ski? I realize this is the moment thread but look forward to feedback from the group.
    Adding to the good comments above - I had Rustler 10's and DD a 19/20 WC116 in Tahoe this season, so not apples to apples but close.

I got about 40 days on the WCs in every condition we got over the season and they outperformed the R10's in every way for how I ski (also 40 years on snow, 165lbs, mix of charge and centered). More stable and better edge hold in firm but also livelier and more playful in soft snow and park. Great landing platform for the drops in did up to 10-12 feet. Love to go backwards.

The R10's didn't inspire confidence in drops or heavy chop at all. Just a much more inferior build.

I like wider skis overall and the WC116 def could be one-ski quiver if you like fatter boards. This was also my first time on a Moment in like 12 years and everything from the shop to online to on snow experience was killer.

I read through the thread, lots of great info…but I have a question, how does the Wildcat compare to the 116 Jeffery across the board. Are they apples and oranges or very similar?

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy64 View Post
    I read through the thread, lots of great info…but I have a question, how does the Wildcat compare to the 116 Jeffery across the board. Are they apples and oranges or very similar?
    I had the Kartel 116 from a few years ago. Wildcats perform much better on firm snow or crud, and the Kartels performed significantly better in lighter, softer stuff. In Sierra cement, or weird crusts on new snow, the Wildcat felt less catchy and more predictable. The K116s were some of the best skis I've ever used in spring slush, and they floated as well as an Armada JJ (extremely good) in the lighter, dryer fresh.. but have more backbone than the JJ.

Kartels were more poppy, more jibby. Wildcats feel more racey, like a blizzard or something. Wildcats can take a more forward stance IMO.

Wildcats are more of a daily driver IMO, one that still does well in fresh snow of all depths too. I didn't use the K116s enough to justify keeping them.
    Last edited by AEV; 06-19-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    I had the Kartel 116 from a few years ago. Wildcats perform much better on firm snow or crud, and the Kartels performed significantly better in lighter, softer stuff. In Sierra cement, or weird crusts on new snow, the Wildcat felt less catchy and more predictable. The K116s were some of the best skis I've ever used in spring slush, and they floated as well as an Armada JJ (extremely good) in the lighter, dryer fresh.. but have more backbone than the JJ.

Kartels were more poppy, more jibby. Wildcats feel more racey, like a blizzard or something. Wildcats can take a more forward stance IMO.

Wildcats are more of a daily driver IMO, one that still does well in fresh snow of all depths too. I didn't use the K116s enough to justify keeping them.
    Good info! Not sure if you skied the Death Wish but wondering if there is enough gap between the Wildcat to justify having both?

Good info! Not sure if you skied the Death Wish but wondering if there is enough gap between the Wildcat to justify having both?

I was gonna say take a look at the Deathwish. The tradeoff in terms of edge hold and versatility, more than make up (in my opinion) what you're sacrificing in float and top end stability.

The Deathwish is plenty stable, and floats adequately for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    I was gonna say take a look at the Deathwish. The tradeoff in terms of edge hold and versatility, more than make up (in my opinion) what you're sacrificing in float and top end stability.

The Deathwish is plenty stable, and floats adequately for sure.
    +1 for DW as a 1 ski option... Of course, I don't subscribe to the whole "one ski" thing...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Moment Skis Discussion

FWIW…for next winter…I’m committing to a 2 ski Moment quiver…..here for EC and for a few trips west.

21’ Commander 98’s (already have)
    22’ Deathwish (buying this fall)

Odd man out will unfortunately be the 14’ Katanas…?
    Last edited by BC.; 06-21-2021 at 05:08 AM.

I have not skied the Deathwish. I feel like it's almost sacrilegious for me to say that. I will this year for sure

This is conjecture, but I think the WC would float significantly better than DW in deep or weird snow. I have never tried a variable camber ski or whatever though. The 190s WC118s perform well in all conditions, I'm never like "aww I wish I brought my Billy Goats out" as good as Billy Goats are in sierra cement, or "aw I wish I brought thinner skis out" for firm snow. And in deep fluff they are very good, better than BG, and if the firm snow is more refrozen reef, and kinda chunky I'd rather be on a WC than a less rockered 98mm ski

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    FWIW…for next winter…I’m committing to a 2 ski Moment quiver…..here for EC and for a few trips west.

21’ Commander 98’s
    22’ Deathwish

Odd man out will unfortunately be the 14’ Katanas…?
    I always see on Blister or here, this "pick one company to build a # quiver" thing.. Out of all companies I'd say I'd pick Moment if I had to build a quiver from one company. I'd double down on that position if they brought back the Donner Party.

I could easily ski a 100mm ski, a WC and Donner Party all year round in Tahoe

Based on all the info above and what I have read I am leaning heavily towards the DW. It sounds like it has a bit more "hard snow" grip and is a bit better in tighter places. My thought is that being New England with trips out west I may get more use over the Wildcat.

@BC. I am thinking kind of the same way as you. I have a Mantra M6 (which replaced my M4s) and paired with the DW would make a great two ski setup for New England...

Then I am thinking DW and a Wildcat as a good travel setup, but this is where I am wondering if there is too much overlap...

^I agree with the assessment that the DW has really good hard snow grip and is good in tight places. I have both the 190 DW and 188 R11 as my primary inbounds quiver. I grab the DW anytime I want to get into tight places and it has better hard snow grip than anything I've skied over 100cm.

Based on all the info above and what I have read I am leaning heavily towards the DW. It sounds like it has a bit more "hard snow" grip and is a bit better in tighter places. My thought is that being New England with trips out west I may get more use over the Wildcat.

@BC. I am thinking kind of the same way as you. I have a Mantra M6 (which replaced my M4s) and paired with the DW would make a great two ski setup for New England...

Then I am thinking DW and a Wildcat as a good travel setup, but this is where I am wondering if there is too much overlap...
    When I lived on the east coast I'd bring my 190 Bibbys out west as my sole ski for all trips and they were a perfectly suitable ski even on firm snow days. That said I rarely used them in new england except for the occasional pow day. If you want to use them more in new england I'd go DW but if it's mostly a dedicated western trip ski I'd go Wildcat
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    ^I agree with the assessment that the DW has really good hard snow grip and is good in tight places. I have both the 190 DW and 188 R11 as my primary inbounds quiver. I grab the DW anytime I want to get into tight places and it has better hard snow grip than anything I've skied over 100cm.

Agree totally on the DW

Thanks for all the great feedback! DW is now on my list for this season. looking forward to seeing the new graphics..

^Good choice...
    Next year's (reduced) quiver for me:
    '22 Commander 98
    '20 DW
    '15 Billy Goats (cause if you know you know)

I'm really curious to ski the DW after all of the praise, I am trying to decide on a touring ski to maybe the DW Tour is the move. Also want to ski the Commander 98, looks like an awesome ski for firm days.

Currently have just two skis:
    2021 Wildcat 108
    2021 Wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I'm really curious to ski the DW after all of the praise, I am trying to decide on a touring ski to maybe the DW Tour is the move. Also want to ski the Commander 98, looks like an awesome ski for firm days.

Currently have just two skis:
    2021 Wildcat 108
    2021 Wildcat

Get avy certs and gear before brand new skis. That said the dw tour is an excellent all around touring ski and a great choice for a touring one ski quiver. Hard to go wrong w/ that choice

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    ^Good choice...
    Next year's (reduced) quiver for me:
    '22 Commander 98
    '20 DW
    '15 Billy Goats (cause if you know you know)

Does that mean I can get those bibby's or meridians back????

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Get avy certs and gear before brand new skis. That said the dw tour is an excellent all around touring ski and a great choice for a touring one ski quiver. Hard to go wrong w/ that choice

Does that mean I can get those bibby's or meridians back????
    No...

Moment Skis Discussion

For the DEATHWISH inquirers...

1) Skied AK epic corn to classic steep pow on them late April/early May.
    2) Railed groomers on Memorial Day in Mammoth.
    3) Heatwave summer skiing conditions last week in Telluride.

Love those things.
    Last edited by skier666; 06-23-2021 at 05:09 PM.