Page 113 of 134 FirstFirst ... 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 3348
  1. #2801
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    35

    2021 Moment Wildcat Full Year Review:

    I now have a full season on the slightly tweaked (heavier/stiffer/new core) Moment Wildcat at 190CM length. Iím a 35 year old expert skier that likes to rip but doesnít spin or flip. 6ft 180lbs.

    Last week blister dropped a review on the Chipotle Banana that really piqued my interest. The main takeaway was the ski just couldnít handle deep pow very well but was a fine ski for moderate resort pow days.

    I found that to be the case with this yearís WC as well. It just wasnít that great at 30CM+ of western Canadian pow. Anything less and itís a blast but on those monster deep days I found myself having to think a bit too much about the ski and shovel pressure which was kind of annoying. Itís not like every week yields a dream pow day but at a 118MM waist, that much rocker and 190CM length, float was average at best. Wish I hadnít flinched last year and just pulled the trigger on the lighter/poppier/softer version with the different core. Oh well.

    As for all other types of snow: anything from slightly soft to 30CM and less of fresh and the ski is a blast. I had and subsequently sold the WC108 last year. It carved slightly better it didnít match the full size WC in terms of chop/crud performance. And it was even worse on really deep days.

    Iím still happy with my purchase but I canít give the ski an A+ rating. Curious to hear what others think, especially those who have been on various versions of the Wildcat.

  2. #2802
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    1,298
    I’m 90% sure that the previous lighter version was just as stiff, just not as heavy and damp. Yeah the W116 isn’t the best deep pow ski directly attributed to it’s stiff flex, however it is that stiff flex that makes the ski so freaking versatile and strong when things get more variable.

    IMO this years version is the best one yet, it has the strong edge hold of the more modern Moment skis but is just as damp and heavy as the old bibby.

    The CB has much more float, even if that didn’t come across in the Blister review.

  3. #2803
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,808
    Maybe itís a mount thing. 30cm is not that deep.

  4. #2804
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,581
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Maybe itís a mount thing. 30cm is not that deep.
    I also kind of wonder if going back to -7 or -7.5 would help with float. I felt exactly the same about the WC108.

  5. #2805
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    13,157
    Hmm. 190 WC seems to float just fine for me.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

  6. #2806
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    3,876

    Moment Skis Discussion

    I havenít ABíd them on the same day, but Iíve owned 196 4frnt Renegades cir Ď14 and 186 Chipotle Bananas and Iíd guess the bananas have equal or possibly even more float, likely because the renegades are quite stiffer by comparison. I do have my CBs mounted -1 from rec but I think I did as well for the 196 Ren for my BSL, both around -6cm from center IIRC.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 04-25-2021 at 08:56 PM.

  7. #2807
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    130
    Never had any problems in the Wasatch with float on the Deathwish Tour.

    I mean it isn't the floatiest surfiest thing out there but no issues with getting bogged down or diving.

  8. #2808
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    Never had any problems in the Wasatch with float on the Deathwish Tour.

    I mean it isn't the floatiest surfiest thing out there but no issues with getting bogged down or diving.
    Same experience. My DWT floats just fine. It's my every day touring rig. For deep days, I have the Chipotle Banana (full weight), but I'll still take the Deathwish out if I don't feel up to hauling the Bananas. Obviously, I can plane higher in the snow with the Bananas, and ski them much faster, but I have never been unhappy with the DWT float.

    I find they float better than my full weight resort deathwish. Maybe the tip is a bit softer, or maybe I just find better snow in the backcountry.... Great skis!

  9. #2809
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    tahoe de chingao
    Posts
    783
    radskier - in general I'd agree. Specifically, the wc/bibby floats at best 'average' for a 190/118 ski. Points of comparison - gpo, lotus 120, bmt 122, protest, etc. It is not a super floaty/surfy pow ski. It is, however, fun as shit, and incredibly well composed at speed or in chop for how much fun you can have popping off of stuff.

    Same thing w/ the DW / DWT. Like yeah - it's not gonna float in the bc like a protest or bmt, or even a gpo, but it's also not gonna be a PROBLEM on super deep days.

    With the blister things - I think they failed to hit on taper. Moment skis, especially the wildcat but also including the chipotle banana and dw - have notably little taper for their size. I have found this, combined of course with tip splay and flex, to be a huge factor in purely soft snow performance. But for resort pow, chop, and nuking, significant taper gives up a lot stability.

    I love the dwt as a daily touring driver and the old bibby as a daily inbounds. There were 3 days this year I whipped out protests inbounds, and probably 10ish where I skied bmt's in the bc. If I didn't own so many skis, I would be very happy happy skiing deep pow on the wildcats and dwt's...

  10. #2810
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    radskier - in general I'd agree. Specifically, the wc/bibby floats at best 'average' for a 190/118 ski. Points of comparison - gpo, lotus 120, bmt 122, protest, etc. It is not a super floaty/surfy pow ski. It is, however, fun as shit, and incredibly well composed at speed or in chop for how much fun you can have popping off of stuff.

    ..... I would be very happy happy skiing deep pow on the wildcats and dwt's...
    I agree. The WC is insanely fun. And I wouldnít want any of those other skis mentioned above over the WC for the full resort pow day experience. And now with a season of the WC under my belt Iíll know to not try and drive the shovels on those monster days. Just keep it nice and centred.

    Side note: is this DW104 I keep hearing whispers about going to happen? If somehow they find a way to make it carve like an Enforcer 104/Ranger 102 itís going to be impossible for me not to buy it.

  11. #2811
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    16
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75BBA82E-1269-443C-BB2D-B4D757C13458.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	386.6 KB 
ID:	372847
    4/16/2021 - wildcat 108 making an appearance in LCC, views from snowbird
    Last edited by dans1212; 04-28-2021 at 08:51 AM.

  12. #2812
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by RadSkier_ View Post

    Side note: is this DW104 I keep hearing whispers about going to happen? If somehow they find a way to make it carve like an Enforcer 104/Ranger 102 itís going to be impossible for me not to buy it.
    Dear Moment - please put some metal in the DW104 if that happens. Bc that sounds fun to me and i totally need a reason to buy a third DW.

  13. #2813
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by ender9099 View Post
    Dear Moment - please put some metal in the DW104 if that happens. Bc that sounds fun to me and i totally need a reason to buy a third DW.
    No metal is needed.

  14. #2814
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    tahoe de chingao
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    No metal is needed.
    lol sounds like the old underworld unless they beef up the core

  15. #2815
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    lol sounds like the old underworld unless they beef up the core
    Well my guess is they will use the same Aspen & Ash core the Wildcat series and current Deathwish use. No metal necessary

  16. #2816
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    339
    I know in the past I chatted with a few of the moment guys who said they have prototyped a metal dw and it wasn't a better ski. I would say the the current core in the 190 is pretty close to perfect for me and a noticeable improvement over the earlier versions. I have skied my commander 98s and deathwish back to back and always walk away with the same thought. The c98s rip on firm snow and wow I have a garage full of moment skis that I love and the only one that I truly need is a dw. With the being said if they make a skinny all mountain death wish I would probably buy it because...

  17. #2817
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    52
    #teamnometal


  18. #2818
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    I know in the past I chatted with a few of the moment guys who said they have prototyped a metal dw and it wasn't a better ski. I would say the the current core in the 190 is pretty close to perfect for me and a noticeable improvement over the earlier versions. I have skied my commander 98s and deathwish back to back and always walk away with the same thought. The c98s rip on firm snow and wow I have a garage full of moment skis that I love and the only one that I truly need is a dw. With the being said if they make a skinny all mountain death wish I would probably buy it because...
    Because... Reasons.

  19. #2819
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Chicken Coop, Seattle
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    I recently switched from a WC108 to DW, and the edge grip on the DW is noticeably better.
    Yup. Agree with that
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

  20. #2820
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Chicken Coop, Seattle
    Posts
    2,884
    Also agree with the sentiments that the dwt is a great do it all touring ski. Exactly what I want for a daily BC setup. Predictable in any snow condition, capable in any snow condition. Never minded them in pow. Prefer a bent chet, but no cause for complaints. Planning to run them back for another season
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

  21. #2821
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Chicken Coop, Seattle
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Anybody ski the Frankenski outside the jib-ditch? https://www.momentskis.com/products/frankenski

    98 underfoot, triple-camber... Looks pretty close to a PB&Death, but has a bamboo core. Profile/flex probably are both different from PBD, but just wondering....

    suprechicken? got any wisdom for us?
    Yeah! Wanted to update the review.

    A couple additions to my prior mini review.

    The speed limit goes away when itís a little warmer. Closing weekend this season, I was skiing these down groomers at high speed, just beaming like an idiot.

    You really have to lay them on edge aggressively without over pressuring your boot cuff.

    Think side to side more than mashing your tips.

    If you do that, they are absurdly fun.

    If your racing fundamentals are super strong, the tails will wash out something fierce.

    I still wouldnít bring them out on a day with soft or variable snow. Iím so used to and happier on fatter skis in these conditions. I think trying to handle a skinny, true center mounted ski in variable wet snow would just make me look like a noob. Iím sure Iíd go over the handlebars.

    But yeah. Iíd say magic unlocked. Doubt Iíll buy another skinny ski anytime soon.

    Money in the air, on rails, etc. as much as I really test that in the old man park circuit.

    My learning curve was about 4 days
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

  22. #2822
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles/Mammoth
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Also agree with the sentiments that the dwt is a great do it all touring ski. Exactly what I want for a daily BC setup. Predictable in any snow condition, capable in any snow condition. Never minded them in pow. Prefer a bent chet, but no cause for complaints. Planning to run them back for another season
    I just bought some DWT this week for the same reason. Confident it will be an excellent touring ski for almost all conditions. Also light for it's size which is a major advantage.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  23. #2823
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    A little to the left
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post

    But yeah. Iíd say magic unlocked.
    This makes me happy.

  24. #2824
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by possum View Post
    #teamnometal

    Supergauge?

  25. #2825
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Movin' On
    Posts
    2,917
    I skied my DWT on corn over the weekend. It was awesome. I can't think of a better corn ski.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •