Page 109 of 241 FirstFirst ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 6015
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I was seduced by the Deathwish while demoing a pair (184) for a few runs at Kirkwood about 5 years ago, on a true spring April day. I enjoyed them so much, I bought the Moment dude a pint after. I've longed for a pair ever since. My theory is they would easily replace my Scott Punishers (183 length, 142-108-130, wood core, no metal) with no downsides and be able to act like a bigger ski when desired. I like the Punishers a lot, and I have some MSP 99s (181 length) for the firm, no fresh days. I don't really 'need' a true pow ski, currently just not getting enough deep days, so something around the 108-112 range makes a lot of sense for a two ski quiver alongside the MSP99s. Majority of time spent in PNW, hopefully returning to trip or two elsewhere in the west next season.

What sayeth the Moment collective? No brainer downside free replacement for the Punisher?

179 vs 184. I have no idea if the Punishers run long or short. I also don't have any experience with Moment sizing, aside from that couple run demo on the older gen 184s after a several beer lunch. Anyone skied both the DW 179 and 184?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1616775209.030969.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	369178

I was worried that maybe I needed something a bit wider, but the 118 Wildcats have proven to be a great ski for AK.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I will say that DW owners seem to be a lot more passionate about their purchase than WC108/WC118 owners. I haven't ran stats but it just seems like you see a lot more WC's in either size go for sale on gear swap. And I'm pretty sure that Slay the Gnar (Skier666) has a "Deathwish" lower back tattoo......JK....maybe?

After reading everyone's comments it seems like the grip on the hard pack for a 112mm ski is what differentiates the DW from the WC as the other traits (pivotability, float, chop, etc.) are pretty similar. Like I said in my original post, if the tune is sharp I can carve WC118 hard but it also has a long radius and isn't designed for groomer parties!

Side note: I picked up a Fischer Ranger 102FR on an end of season deal and holy shit that ski is awesome. It lives up to the Blister hype for sure but one thing that is obvious is that it lacks the Moment construction quality. It has super thin tips and tails that doubt it will last longer than a few season to. It's insane how well built Moment skis are compared to many of their peers in the industry. After one ski day it's already pretty dinged up, whereas any moment ski I have owned can handle a ton of abuse and still look half decent.

With that said, even with the flimsy build I don't regret buying the 102 FR it as that ski was an absolute blast yesterday on a variety of conditions and terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by RadSkier_ View Post
    And I'm pretty sure that Slay the Gnar (Skier666) has a "Deathwish" lower back tattoo......JK....maybe?
    Deathwish trampstamp?!? Please confirm....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Question for the group. Been interested to pick up a pair of standard DW as my every day ski but I'm hesitant now. I took my DW Tours to the resort last weekend for the first time to get a feel of TC at the resort. Firm groomer day (I know not ideal conditions). Edge grip felt amazing until I tried to shut down speed on edge (hockey stop). I observed a ton of chatter and skis bouncing when sideways on edge. It was so bad that my pins pre-leased. I don't know if it was just weird conditions but I'm wondering if this might be a side effect of the lighter weight ski or triple camber? Anyone else experience this behavior on standard DW?

Moment Skis Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by KM14 View Post
    Question for the group. Been interested to pick up a pair of standard DW as my every day ski but I'm hesitant now. I took my DW Tours to the resort last weekend for the first time to get a feel of TC at the resort. Firm groomer day (I know not ideal conditions). Edge grip felt amazing until I tried to shut down speed on edge (hockey stop). I observed a ton of chatter and skis bouncing when sideways on edge. It was so bad that my pins pre-leased. I don't know if it was just weird conditions but I'm wondering if this might be a side effect of the lighter weight ski or triple camber? Anyone else experience this behavior on standard DW?
    DWT are much lighter weight and not as dampening as my regular DW.

When I take my DWTs on resort to skin in bounds I’m more cautious on the hard groomers with them.

I would not let how the DWTs feel in that situation dissuade you.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Name:  dw_stamp.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  27.3 KB

I will say that DW owners seem to be a lot more passionate about their purchase than WC108/WC118 owners.
    I notice this too. I must be an outlier, as I've always been significantly more fired up about my Bibbys. I wonder if this is one of those situations where the DW is more approachable for more people, so people who don't have wider skis/bloated quivers tend to select it over the WC and proceed to call it the best ski ever based on how much better it is than other skis they have been on? Obviously not the case for lots of the most devoted fans of the DW (who rip and have forgotten more about skiing than I will likely ever know) so I am likely just an outlier who happens to really click with the Bibby.

After reading everyone's comments it seems like the grip on the hard pack for a 112mm ski is what differentiates the DW from the WC as the other traits (pivotability, float, chop, etc.) are pretty similar.
    Agree with the grip on firm to some extent, but haven't experienced the other traits part. The DW is a great ski that skis well in a huge range of conditions. I just don't see it as being in the same league as the Bibby/WC once things are even a little soft/deep/chopped and there's no way it can compete with metal-infused chargers when things are firm. Again, I wonder if some of the DW enthusiasm is influenced by people only knowing what they know. If I was coming from an inferior pow/chop/crud/firm/whatever ski it would be easy to think that the DW was a solid 9/10 in these conditions. My experiences on other skis lets me know that this isn't the case. For me and how/where I ski. Your experience will probably be different and that's what makes skiing different skis and jabbering on about them great.

Any moment ski can handle a ton of abuse and still ski great.
    FIFY. No doubt that Moment makes a solid product and their commitment to innovation and ongoing improvement in their construction is impressive.

Before there was a deathwish there was a bibby.

I take what I can get. My new to me WC108 is for sure a fun ski. Gonna try it out on some hard pack next week.

Quote Originally Posted by KM14 View Post
    It's a ~1600g touring ski... What do you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    I was seduced by the Deathwish while demoing a pair (184) for a few runs at Kirkwood about 5 years ago, on a true spring April day. I enjoyed them so much, I bought the Moment dude a pint after. I've longed for a pair ever since. My theory is they would easily replace my Scott Punishers (183 length, 142-108-130, wood core, no metal) with no downsides and be able to act like a bigger ski when desired. I like the Punishers a lot, and I have some MSP 99s (181 length) for the firm, no fresh days. I don't really 'need' a true pow ski, currently just not getting enough deep days, so something around the 108-112 range makes a lot of sense for a two ski quiver alongside the MSP99s. Majority of time spent in PNW, hopefully returning to trip or two elsewhere in the west next season.

What sayeth the Moment collective? No brainer downside free replacement for the Punisher?

179 vs 184. I have no idea if the Punishers run long or short. I also don't have any experience with Moment sizing, aside from that couple run demo on the older gen 184s after a several beer lunch. Anyone skied both the DW 179 and 184?
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

I'm 5'11'', 195 lbs and the 190 DW is pretty damn perfect. The more centered mount makes it feel shorter than 190 cm to me, since I was coming from more traditional mounted skis before. I'd say go 184 at a minimum. Don't be afraid to go long- the DW is very intuitive to ski and the full tail rocker makes it a breeze to turn in tight spots.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

I'm 5'11'', 195 lbs and the 190 DW is pretty damn perfect. The more centered mount makes it feel shorter than 190 cm to me, since I was coming from more traditional mounted skis before. I'd say go 184 at a minimum. Don't be afraid to go long- the DW is very intuitive to ski and the full tail rocker makes it a breeze to turn in tight spots.
    thanks. Im 5-8" about 150.

I've been on almost on every Moment ski, from the original garage pressed Comi. I've had many Bibby/Wildcat over the years, even prototypes that I absolutely hated. The Deathwish's roots come from the Ruby and Jaguar Shark with some triple camber added. I used all those skis and then an evil themed ski came to be. Been on them ever since because they check all the boxes for me personally and are just so damn fun to ski.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    evil themed ski
    Is it any wonder 666 has Deathwish tramp-stamped on his back? Nope.

(Personally, I vastly prefer the Bibby/Wildcat shape, but I'm more of a sunshine and unicorn-farts kinda guy.)
    sproing!

I'm looking for a daily driver to replace my old Qst 106.

I like how the qst carves, its fun in groomers and good in pow. It's also agile. I don't like how it's fairly directional, and can get knocked about in rough stuff at speed.

I love the sound of the Deathwish. My main questions are around how quick/ agile it feels, being wider underfoot. And also how fun it is to drop the hip and carve on. I know the edge hold is good but does it pull you into a turn and feel fun?

Is the Wildcat 108 under consideration too? I have about 30 days on mine in a wide, wide variety of conditions, and they are truly impressive as a do-it-all ski. The disclaimer would be that I haven't skied DW myself, so my PB&J are my only experience with triple camber.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    Is the Wildcat 108 under consideration too? I have about 30 days on mine in a wide, wide variety of conditions, and they are truly impressive as a do-it-all ski. The disclaimer would be that I haven't skied DW myself, so my PB&J are my only experience with triple camber.

Ditto for me. Absolutely loving 190 WC 108. Incredible crud ski, better than the 190 Bibby’s I’ve had in the past. Resort quiver of 2 with 108 and Chipotle Banana is kinda all I need for the hill...but, still need to ski a 190 DW as I’ve only done a few turns on a friend’s 184 DW tour.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post

pbj doesnt have triple camber... mustache rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by joeshek View Post
    pbj doesnt have triple camber... mustache rocker.
    Ooh right, you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by AintEZbeingSteezy View Post
    I love the sound of the Deathwish. My main questions are around how quick/ agile it feels, being wider underfoot. And also how fun it is to drop the hip and carve on. I know the edge hold is good but does it pull you into a turn and feel fun?
    I’m sure some people will give you their take, but in the meantime the Blister review of the Deathwish does a really good job covering groomer performance of the ski in terms of edge hold and also turn shapes and such.

I like how the qst carves, its fun in groomers and good in pow. It's also agile. I don't like how it's fairly directional, and can get knocked about in rough stuff at speed.

The DW is the most agile ski over 100MM that I've ever skied. It also carves really well. And yes, it's super fun.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Wc 108 is also intriguing as mentioned by some, but I'm leaning more to deathwish as I am probably getting rid of my Black Ops 118 (too sluggish for me). So extra width for deep days might be a good shout. I also might tour on these.

I find my DWT is just as quick edge to edge as my 97mm underfoot BC Camox Freebird.

And with extra rocker pivots much easier and quicker. Carves better too.

Super agile ski.

I must be a real outlier. I've demoed the DW 190 twice and pretty much hated it both times. It felt squirrelly and weird to me on hardpack and less than stable. I owned a Belafonte, which I liked during the demo, but the tips were too stiff and square such that they wanted to spear into bumps and 3D snow. Demoed Bibby's and PBJs, but they felt kinda planky and dead to me.

Then came the 198 Governor. The perfect length and flex, it just has the right amount of compliance in the tip, stiff underfoot, and tail that is strong but still can slarve or smear when needed. For a 116 wide ski, it rails hardpack pretty damn well, especially GS turns. Powder and steeps are it's preferred habitat. Only in weird, inconsistent snow does it show some weakness, and I prefer the BGs in those conditions.

Bring back the Govy, and while you're at it, a 108 version in 198!