Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kauai Info

Sounds like we will need to try that.

Ate at Mark’s after getting the car and before stoping in at Costco/Safeway. Plate lunch was good. Ahi Quinoa Burger w wasabi and fixing was even better.

Rained all afternoon. Hit up the farmers market and book store in Hanapepe. Walked around the beach and watched a sea turtle. Good stuff. This low and SE winds are supposed to clear out tomorrow. Swell fills in Saturday.

Headed to Kokee to drive down some ridge on 4wd road. Then maybe a surf somewhere SW or back in town. Swell began hitting last night. Glad we decided on 13 days. Son was stoked hiking through the jungle to Ho’opi lower falls. Especially the muddy cliff scramble down to the base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4598.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	287192

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I think Tunnels beach is the go to snorkel spot in the North.
    I thought Hideaways Beach was more interesting for snorkeling than Tunnels but they are both good. Park next to the tennis courts at the St. Regis and slip-slide down the muddy path.

food:

hit up the northside grill for sushi in Hanalei. incredible. Affordable.
    https://northsidegrillhanalei.com/

lunch try Kalypso (best fish/chips up north). big beers.
    http://www.kalypsokauai.com/

down south hit the breweries and brenneckies
    https://www.brenneckes.com/

second the notion of hideaways for snorkeling. swells nearby if you want.

so jealous.

Couple feet OH at the Drop right now. Pushing 10’ on the sets. Thump thump.

Headed north after a sunrise surf tomorrow. My. Undies family home is right in front of Cannons I think. More toward the Ke’e side.

Looking forward to getting the family up to paradise.

Sounds like we will need to try that.

Ate at Mark’s after getting the car and before stoping in at Costco/Safeway. Plate lunch was good. Ahi Quinoa Burger w wasabi and fixing was even better.

Rained all afternoon. Hit up the farmers market and book store in Hanapepe. Walked around the beach and watched a sea turtle. Good stuff. This low and SE winds are supposed to clear out tomorrow. Swell fills in Saturday.
    Got bigeye sashimi?

This guy's in Oahu, but he explains what he's doing and why...

Can’t seem to get YouTube vids on my phone and can’t be bothered to pull out the lap top.

A lot of local
    Fish is flown off island to markets in Japan, China and Las Vegas. Sad. A lot of fish is flown in from Indonesia. Best place to buy is from some dudes house on Koloa. He has fresh fish in the front yard for sale, all caught that morning. I believe all the fish in Koloa Fish Market is local caught. None at Safeway or Costco or many of the small local grocers.

Shopping at farmers markets also gets
    You all locally grown produce. Maybe a little more pricey than Costco, but at least you are supporting a local farmer.

Surf still cranking. Headed back up to Kokee for more of a big hike and big 4wd. But last week my buddy took us to a perch above the canyon with a little less than a 1/2 hike. Gorgeous.

Got to give it to Hideaways. Best snorkeling of the trip. Even with a healthy east swell in the water. Great last day on the island. Headed back to home life tomorrow. Will be back soon.

good thread, subscribed
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Bumping this because I'll be in Maui for a week with the fam starting Feb 1. and have the option to head over early (solo) and I'm trying to decide whether to spend my extra time on Maui or Kauai.

If surfing is my primary objective, will I have more surf options this time of year (as an "advanced beginner") on Kauai or Maui?

GREAT, Thanks I was looking for information about Kauai

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Bumping this because I'll be in Maui for a week with the fam starting Feb 1. and have the option to head over early (solo) and I'm trying to decide whether to spend my extra time on Maui or Kauai.

If surfing is my primary objective, will I have more surf options this time of year (as an "advanced beginner") on Kauai or Maui?
    way late on the response, but how was your trip. Don't know Maui at all, but there are a few spots on the east side and north side of Kauai that are decent learning spots. Inside the bay, near the town pier (if you can still get to it) is the best option in the north if the swell is running. As the swell drops then you can paddle out more into the bay.

way late on the response, but how was your trip.
    Excellent from a general tourism standpoint, but the surfing didn't happen. Kalalau hike took up a lot of time on Kauai (well worth it) and making surfing go was going to require a hijacking of the group itinerary (only 1 rental car, wasn't staying especially close to the surf).

Loved Kauai, and would love to go back with a crew and get a house in Hanalei for a week. Favorite part of Maui was the farm country out near Haleakala and the northern coast near Honolua. Kauai seemed more my speed for both surfing options and the rest, but a great trip, especially considering things got locked down shortly after. First thing I'm going to do when things are normal is go surfing.

love love love Kauai. The Kalalau hike is one of my all time favorites any where. And it does take a long longer than 12 miles would almost any where else. There are so many good hikes on that island. I love to surf, but I could spend months on that island just walking around. My buddy and his family live in Hanea, and I really don't know why I don't visit more often.

My family and I (one grub at the time), really enjoyed haena. We stayed in that yurt for 5 days. It was really great.