Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Solution for packed out boot inserts/liners

I was getting major heel lift this past season in two pairs of boots I own. We all know this is bad mojo for input/feedback and then some while attempting to make a mountain bleed. So last minute this season I decided to insert the orginal foot beds into the bottom of my Intuition molded liners. Bingo! I had never felt a better lock up of my heel to the boots, ever. My boots hammered direction into my planks like a lumber jack falls wood, with ease, power and grace. I have NEW old boots again and better than ever. Has anyone else tried this?! Thoughts, experience from doing so? Cheers ya maggots!

So you switched custom molded footbeds for stock? Or stuck the original footbeds under custom? Or did you never ski with footbeds until now...

Sounds like your boots are too big...

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    This.....

What liners are you using? I've found PWs have awful heelhold for me personally.

I had the same thing going on years back. Found out that i had gotten some shitty custom footbeds that raised my heel so much that they no longer was secured in the heelpocket of the boot. switched them and voila

Rawj?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I had the same thing going on years back. Found out that i had gotten some shitty custom footbeds that raised my heel so much that they no longer was secured in the heelpocket of the boot. switched them and voila

Are you saying you took up the space in your bootshell ( which is too big ) by putting another insole in the liner ?

does this mean we should all put the stock footbeds back in our boots ?

playing with more spacers or insoles is a pretty common thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What the fick did I just read. I didn’t know Mountains could bleed. Your heels can though.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    So you switched custom molded footbeds for stock? Or stuck the original footbeds under custom? Or did you never ski with footbeds until now...
    No,I inserted the original FOOTBEDS (aka not full liners) into my custom Intuition liners. As in, I slid the footbed down into the bottom of them not underneath them. My boots have never felt better, well as good as a dman boot can ever feel.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    They are not to big. They fit my feet great when I first bought and had them fitted. I never just buy a boot. It is all about the right fit first and then stiffness in the boot for me. That means many, many fittings before I purchase. I know about getting the right fit and all. I have been using one pair since 2010. A heat molded Intutuion liner is bound to pack out in over a decade.

In all seriousness, go talk to the guys at RaceWerks up by the Boise Spectrum. They'll get you fixed right up and if they don't they'll probably send you to Ski Tek in Ketchum

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Are you saying you took up the space in your bootshell ( which is too big ) by putting another insole in the liner ?

does this mean we should all put the stock footbeds back in our boots ?

playing with more spacers or insoles is a pretty common thing
    MY boot shell was NEVER ''to big'' I just added back in the original footbed that was removed when I wasfirst fitted for my custom Intuition liners back in the day. So they took up the space of the old packed out liners that use to cradle my foot like a glove.

Try some imigination. It may help. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    In all seriousness, go talk to the guys at RaceWerks up by the Boise Spectrum. They'll get you fixed right up and if they don't they'll probably send you to Ski Tek in Ketchum
    I do not need to talk to anyone at the moment as my problem has been solved for now. I may head there way end of season though for a better all around solution, as in new liners. Thanks for the heads up brother!

For clarification: were you using the Intuition liners without any footbed inside them, then they packed out some, and then you added the OEM footbed?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

That's what it sounds like.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Two pairs of socks FTW!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

As they pack out just remold the intuitions with a friends foot that is smaller than yours.
    Uno mas

It’s pretty commonplace to add some ankle wraps and/or some custom cut boot foam to take up volume. A good bootfitter should be easily able to perform this task. Adding a sheet of bontex between the liner and the shell will make a world of difference.

ProTip: Don’t use a full sheet of bontex under the liner to take up volume. That will likely add too much volume to the toes. Ouch. Black toenails will ensue. Just use a half a piece under the heel.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Sounds like OP figured out footbeds take up space in his boots.
    Uno mas

Yeah it sounds like buddy was using the Intuitions without any foodbed,

While I have heard not using a foot bed can work I wouldn't do that

Quote Originally Posted by ichibaneye View Post
    Try some imigination. It may help. Cheers!
    this is a tech info forum with a print medium interface where we exchange tech info on skiiing

we never use our fucking imigination or even our fucking imagination

we expect you to write something in detail that is understandable

so far you are the fail
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Sounds like OP figured out footbeds take up space in his boots.
    It does appear so.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Intuition used to (and maybe still does) suggest using their liners without footbeds. I never bought into that unless maybe you were trying to gain more volume in the forefoot.

I don't know how many days you ski per year, but most people don't get 9 years out of a pair of intuitions. They just pack in over time. That's nice that you were able to fill the space, but honestly it sounds like you're due for new ones.

I've also had good luck with bontex insoles under the liners as liners pack out, also L and J pads around the ankles (the bontex after about 100 days, the pads after about 200). All of that was free. Why spend money on new liners or new boots as long as free solutions work? Now if you have to do that stuff for new boots, the boots are too big.