Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by couchsending View Post
    There will be limited quantities of the new 19/20 skis available through certain retailers starting in February.
    Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Is this chat about the 19/20 skis?
    Yes. The Zero G 95's in the store now are the same as last year's. We'll see if they are indeed improved for '19-'20.

Torsionally stiff... I think you will find the new skis slightly more “balanced” than the old ones. The tail was the primary focus. To make it release easier and less prone to catching especially when conditions are gnarly and you’re carrying a large pack.

Honestly the tweaks are subtle. They’re not meant to be totally different skis but were redesigned based on feedback from people that spend a ton of time on them in all sorts of conditions. They will always be on the stiffer end of anything in this weight class that is for sure. Again this refers more to the 85 and 95.

I skied the 178 95 for three or four hours in bounds at Alta on the first day of our sales meeting in early December. Alpinists and Cochise 130s. I’m all of 220 without gear and had a blast on them and skied them pretty hard all over the place. Granted it was about 15” of snow but it got rather skied out and was pretty variable underneath. I was expecting them to kind of suck in those conditions as I hadn’t enjoyed the previous 95s skiing anything in bounds at all. They were much more stable and didn’t deflect nearly as much as the previous versions.
    Any info on mount point and rocker profile on the 95? I know Lee has the 105, but I thought maybe you'd know more about the 95. Very interested in the new 95.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Any info on mount point and rocker profile on the 95? I know Lee has the 105, but I thought maybe you'd know more about the 95. Very interested in the new 95.
    Headed to Denver now so I don’t have the skis near me. I believe the mount point is very similar. Rocker profile change is simIlar to how the rocker on say the Bonafide changed. There’s more splay but the rocker might not go as far down the ski if that makes sense. The rocker gets slightly less in each model from 105 down to 85.

I’ll take some pics when I can.

Headed to Denver now so I don’t have the skis near me. I believe the mount point is very similar. Rocker profile change is simIlar to how the rocker on say the Bonafide changed. There’s more splay but the rocker might not go as far down the ski if that makes sense. The rocker gets slightly less in each model from 105 down to 85.

I’ll take some pics when I can.
    Great, thank you. Too bad you can't bring them to Denver!

But are you saying the mount point is similar to the old 0G 95 or the new 0G 105, because it seems like the mount was moved forward substantially with the redesign of the 10X size -- the old 0G 108 was -11.5 (ish?) and Lee said the new one is -7 so that's huge.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

How in general would they compare to the Helio 105?

Great, thank you. Too bad you can't bring them to Denver!

But are you saying the mount point is similar to the old 0G 95 or the new 0G 105, because it seems like the mount was moved forward substantially with the redesign of the 10X size -- the old 0G 108 was -11.5 (ish?) and Lee said the new one is -7 so that's huge.
    95 and 85 mount points should be the same. 105s will be slightly forward of the 108s due to obvious length differences. They might be slightly more forward as well just due to a little more modern design for our wider skis. I’ll try to get the list of mounting points.

95 and 85 mount points should be the same. 105s will be slightly forward of the 108s due to obvious length differences. They might be slightly more forward as well just due to a little more modern design for our wider skis. I’ll try to get the list of mounting points.
    Thank you! I realize I'm in the minority, especially for <100 mm UL touring skis, but I have an aversion to super rearward mount points so my interest in the 95 is pretty dependent on the mount point.

photos

auvgeek I haven't been able to track down a ZG95 from this year's batch to check. What couchsending said too as they ZG105 has a more pronounced tip and tail splay. Haven't forgotten to do this but need to get a 2019-20 ZG95

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Haven't forgotten to do this but need to get a 2019-20 ZG95
    Hey, thank you and no worries! I just thought maybe it would be easier for couchsending since I didn't think you had a pair. Really, I should just be more patient but I got excited about it.

photos

I really appreciate the info in this thread, thanks. It convinced me to pull the trigger on some 192 cm ZeroG 108s.

I don’t want anything narrower, shorter, or softer for my typical winter tour. So that rules out the 2019/20 version...despite the added rocker.

I also dislike how far back mounts ski. Anything past -8.5cm or so and I'm not a fan. Why is that? I have no formal ski training.

Found this from gregl and reposting it without his permission as it's good confirmation bias for me
    http://www.randosaigai.com/incoming.html

"I didn't test too many touring skis, but I made a point of checking out the new Blizzard Zero G 105 an Zero G 95. The Zero G 105 sports an all-new mold and lighter construction, while both skis have been "toned down" a bit in terms of torsional rigidity. I shouldn't have worried about Blizzard going too "wimpy" - the skis still charge hard and have exceptional edge hold for their weight, but are less demanding and won't require as much detuning straight out of the wrapper as the originals."

Found this from gregl and reposting it without his permission as it's good confirmation bias for me
    http://www.randosaigai.com/incoming.html

"I didn't test too many touring skis, but I made a point of checking out the new Blizzard Zero G 105 an Zero G 95. The Zero G 105 sports an all-new mold and lighter construction, while both skis have been "toned down" a bit in terms of torsional rigidity. I shouldn't have worried about Blizzard going too "wimpy" - the skis still charge hard and have exceptional edge hold for their weight, but are less demanding and won't require as much detuning straight out of the wrapper as the originals."
    I’m betting the ZeroG 105 ends up not dissimilar to the Helio 105 that Blizzard makes for BD.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I also dislike how far back mounts ski. Anything past -8.5cm or so and I'm not a fan. Why is that? I have no formal ski training.
    Looking at you avatar pic, I could make a good guess why you'd dislike mounts like that.

I’m betting the ZeroG 105 ends up not dissimilar to the Helio 105 that Blizzard makes for BD.
    Pics from Lee's link make it look like the Zero G still has much less camber than the Helio.

Skimo has them in stock.

The Helio and ZeroG are very different skis in construction and profile.

Skimo has them in stock.
    Just the 105, unless I'm missing something.

photos

The Helio and ZeroG are very different skis in construction and profile.
    Care to elaborate? Seems the ZeroG is heavier with a more pronounced tip and tail rocker and perhaps a softer tail (from blister dimensions). My helio seem to have more camber than the blister numbers too.

Interested in construction differences.

Just the 105, unless I'm missing something.
    Yeah I think that’s all couchsending said would be available this season.

Yeah I think that’s all couchsending said would be available this season.
    I'm not trying to start anything, but I don't read his comment below that way. But regardless, it won't change what's available.

There will be limited quantities of the new 19/20 skis available through certain retailers starting in February.
    I'd be stoked if the 95 was available, but I probably won't end up with new skis this season anyway.

photos

Found something negative to say about the ZG 105 for a review after 25+ days on them. Had 30+cms new low density wind-transported snow on supportive well-bridged N facing 45 deg slopes off Little Baldur at Sol Mountain Lodge's tenure.

Scoped out chutes and steeps on the trees and (a couple of days after the storm) skied them. Had to straightline about 10m down a chute into a massive powder bowl. Came out hot turned and submerged tips promptly tomahawking. Reasonable conclusion is I have to be lighted on skis, or get lighter or that 105mm underfoot may be undergunned for that type of skiing.

Skier 78kg meadowskipper; Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro boots; Blizzard ZeroG 105 skis.

Found something negative to say about the ZG 105 for a review after 25+ days on them. Had 30+cms new low density wind-transported snow on supportive well-bridged N facing 45 deg slopes off Little Baldur at Sol Mountain Lodge's tenure.

Scoped out chutes and steeps on the trees and (a couple of days after the storm) skied them. Had to straightline about 10m down a chute into a massive powder bowl. Came out hot turned and submerged tips promptly tomahawking. Reasonable conclusion is I have to be lighted on skis, or get lighter or that 105mm underfoot may be undergunned for that type of skiing.

Skier 78kg meadowskipper; Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro boots; Blizzard ZeroG 105 skis.
    That’ll get yah! No substitute for a big ski.

That’ll get yah! No substitute for a big ski.
    Except one or fifty less subs.