Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tokyo things to do?

Long time listener, first time poster.

I'm gonna be ripping the shit out of some fine Japanese powder at Myoko Jan 12-19, bookended by a Tokyo side trip Jan 11 and Jan 20-21.

You have 72 hours in Tokyo. Please give me some ideas. (Been there before, 2x for work and last 2013 ski trip w/ Tyrone, Squirrel, Arty, lph). Shit must be different after 5 years. Right now on my list I have the Go Kart (maricar.com) and eating any and every marine animal that I can possibly get my hands on.

Edit: Also looking for recommended areas to stay. Last time I was at New Otani for work and then InterCOntinental near the old Tsukiji market,.

No advice on Tokyo, but holy fuckin' blast from the past, batman.

I hear you ski with pussies so figured you should check these places out:
    https://hubjapan.io/articles/9-best-...yo-to-hang-out
    "People think complaining about conditions makes them sound discerning, like giving nitpick notes on a fine dining experience. In reality it's just like saying "i'm a shitty cook." -MildBill

Liquor.com

#subscribed

EDIT: Just dont eat whale meat. Because... Umm, it tastes good but...you know?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Drift
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Subscribed. Have heard it's fun to just wander random neighborhoods and see what you find. At least that's most of the advice I've been given from friends (I fly into Tokyo on Wednesday).

Oh you're going to Japan are you? Try this on for size, motherfucker!

Name:  shinjuku.jpeg
Views: 880
Size:  110.8 KB
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

https://www.facebook.com/ShotBarZoetrope

Amazing whiskey bar. Do not miss.

Also Piss Alley for food and beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXeOHiaCZDE

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Subscribed. Have heard it's fun to just wander random neighborhoods and see what you find. At least that's most of the advice I've been given from friends (I fly into Tokyo on Wednesday).
    Lived there for 3 years and I agree with TahoeJ, Tokyo is the best "walking city" I've ever been to. Personal favorite walks are from Shinjuku to Shibuya via Yoyogi Park and Harajuku. You can go to the top of the Tokyo Metro Building in Shinjuku for free.

Other favorite is Chiyoda (Tokyo actual) to Ueno via Akihabara. "Ski district" stretches from Ogawamachi to Jinbocho and is an entertaining detour, too.

And all the walks are one-ways if you want, cause you can just jump on the subway whenever you've had enough.

PM me for more info. My wife has this pretty good locals guide to Tokyo she made, if you want it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Robot show is a must see for any mag!

Are you into modernist Architecture? PM me if so and I will send out some readers of university trips that I collected.

Otherwise Akihabara, Shibuya, Tokyo Skytree if the weather is nice where winning options for us.

Damn... We're crossing paths just days apart. I'll be driving through Myoko on the 11th.

Tokyo things to do?

Eat a bunch of magic mushrooms then head to robot restaurant. If your head doesn’t impload then I’d be amazed. I’ll be in Tokyo 19-22 If I don’t extend my trip.

Is the robot restaurant so great? We went to a "Idol Show" by accident - strangest thing ever happened to me. Really wired and very "Japanese". Cheap and all you can drink with beer included.

Went to Tokyo while the wife had work in Osaka. While I hung out with a woodworker I knew from the internetz and went climbing with another online friend, I did spend a couple of nights wandering around. Best suggestion in this thread is to just walk and explore.

Went looking for eats one night and found a place that smelled great. Went into the hole in the wall 10 seat Yakitori place and they immediately started saying "no sushi" over and over. Told them it was fine. Ended up eating who knows what, tasted amazing, and getting hammered with some salary men. Had good fun with my English to Japanese phrase book. They were in hysterics regarding the phrase to be constipated. One of the best memories of my life and it was totally random.

Just explore. People are friendly, streets are safe. At least they were a decade ago.

I don't know if Golden Gai is considered a tourist trap or not but we had an awesome night there drinking/eating our way through many of the small bars. Had a couple great broken english chats with Japanese including some wasted salarymen which was a highlight for me.

So I’ve heard mushrooms are legal in Japan before... where do you go to get it?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for the tips!

x2 on the shrooms. I fucking love SHROOMS!!!

Plan is to beeline to Myoko when I arrive on Friday, otherwise I risk getting stuck in some Shinjuku Kabukicho back street before I even reach the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    #subscribed

EDIT: Just dont eat whale meat. Because... Umm, it tastes good but...you know?
    My dad is in Iceland on a vacation and apparently I should have told him the same info

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    Thanks for the tips!

x2 on the shrooms. I fucking love SHROOMS!!!

Plan is to beeline to Myoko when I arrive on Friday, otherwise I risk getting stuck in some Shinjuku Kabukicho back street before I even reach the mountains
    Dude, the shinjuku backstreets are the funnest!

Rent a family for the day. Been dying to do this since I read about it, sounds hilarious

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...amily-industry

Quote Originally Posted by beasttowest View Post
    Rent a family for the day. Been dying to do this since I read about it, sounds hilarious

It goes something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzaXw2ztCqU

Quote Originally Posted by Drazzamatazz View Post
    It goes something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzaXw2ztCqU
    Yup, definitely where I saw this. Stoked he’s going to be doing more of this this year

Quote Originally Posted by beasttowest View Post

You can also rent a dog for a couple hours in Yoyogi. Yes, I've done it. It's kind of cute but mostly sad. Our dog was super skittish and was pulling back on the leash once we were walking back and in sight of the rental place.

But if you rent a dog and put it in a stroller, you're one step closer to the impossible goal of fitting in with the Japanese.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

How about those packs where you ski while carrying your dog or cat? Lol. Saw one of those in Tahoe last year.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.