Fernie Alpine Resort-Legendary Alders

Do some trail work you greedy fucks. It's blocking entrance to lines and making some areas unskiable. WTF. It is not that hard or expensive to hire a trail crew to brush in the summer. Fuck I know people who would gladly go up in the summer and brush for nothing, You were so proud that you cleaned some brush from under Whitepass Chair. How about the rest of the mountain. I've already seen injuries (EMR) because of alders, or as you put it early season conditions...It's bullshit/negligence.
    Last edited by gearhunter; 12-08-2019 at 08:26 AM.

They should have named the place Alderie.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I hope this public shaming campaign works for you. We have the same problem across the border to the south and west a bit. Everyone I know leaves comments on every survey here and the local hill refuses to pay for alder brush clearing. This past summer a conservation group from a neighboring state cleared 100 acres. Are you fucking kidding me, that is the plan? The shit is out of control and the resorts are pretending it doesn’t exist. I am hoping to find some social media “influencers” and celebrities with bajilion followers skiing/riding amongst, over and thru the alder brush and tagging the shit out of the resort. Really highlight the beauty of a 6’ tall flaming sea urchin in the middle of runs with over 100 inch plus base.

I have to agree with this.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Amen brother. Nothing I hate more than getting whipped by alders

Quote Originally Posted by mtpete View Post
    Amen brother. Nothing I hate more than getting whipped by alders
    I’m a noob so roast away but.. did fernie not do some brushing this summer/fall? Fernie dot com

Be gentle...

The silliest part is that there are plenty of resorts that would kill to be able to clear trees at their convenience but can't due to park regulations.

Thorough follow up.

I hope to make it our to Fernie one of these years.

While I believe what they're saying in the article, I think they need to do much more.

I just spent the weekend at fernie and while I recognize it's early season, there are a number of areas that I am certain used to be skiable 5 or 10 years ago that are basically impassable now. These are mostly areas that are just off the main runs and in micro terrain features. Lots of it in lizard bowl and cedar bowl.

It's a real shame because it's quite limiting that everyone ends up having to funnel into tighter and tighter areas to get out of the bowls. So many more fresh turns would be available if the alders were more aggressively maintained.

It's still a great hill but it feels to me like it could be even better with a bit of maintenance.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

Yup. My thoughts exactly. But since I've got Bitch Less stickered on my helmet I thought I would take my own advice. My feeling is that a lot of people are sorta fed up with the state of the hill even after the work that they did this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post
    Yup. My thoughts exactly. But since I've got Bitch Less stickered on my helmet I thought I would take my own advice. My feeling is that a lot of people are sorta fed up with the state of the hill even after the work that they did this summer.
    Want to sell me one of those stickers? That's advice I could probably take.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

Next time you are in town Shorty_J I'll give you one. Pretty sure I've got another one of those kicking around. Shoot me a PM if you are in the area.