Hardpack/Crud ski?

I don't know what to search, sorry. This has probably been discussed before.

For pow days, I have a QST 118. While not a traditional ski, which I'm used to, I learned to really love it. If it's 6" or more of new out, I'm skiing it with no regrets. So to compliment it, I'd like a damp cambered ski with an early rise tip and a stiff tail to crud bust when it hasn't snowed for a bit. If it's easy to swish the tails out, that's nice, but maybe I can't have everything...

Only thing I can think of that fits the bill is maybe the Cochise. I had an old Bodacious, it was a great crud buster, but it was heavy and kinda boring to ski. As I get older I really don't need such a beast anyways. What's a step down from that? 188-192 is my target length.

Cochises are kind of boring too. But very good at what they do well and easy to ski for something that can haul ass.

Black Crows Corvus?
    Wrenegade 108?
    Praxis MVP with heavy core?
    Kastle BMX 105 HP?

It's a dying genre.

Strong 2nd on the BMX 105HP. Sounds like what you want exactly. That is how I'd describe it from my time with it: damp, crud busting, edgy and carvy to a point, but remarkably quick.

Thanks guys.

The new version of the Wrenegades do sound sweet. As for the BMX 105HP, I doubt I'll find them used, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. Brand new they are a bit much, ha.

I have a pair of blizzard bones for early season hardpack. And then I save my old-school, dragon topsheet mantras for later in the season when the risk of hitting rocks goes down. Both are 2 sheets of metal battleships able to plow through whatever you throw at them. Despite being full camber, the mantras are easier to smear the tails, i find. Well, for me at least.

The new M5 mantra may be a return to form of the 2012-2014 full camber mantras. But i haven't tried them yet, so can't say by first hand experience.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

+1 for the 187 Bonafides. Like the Cochise, it is a damp ski (sounds like you might not really like skis with a damp feel), but it raillllls on hardpack. I'd hunt for the 2017 version or earlier. The 2018 and 2019 ones have tightened up the turn radius and they feel much more groomer-specific to me than the all-mountain player the Bonafide used to be.

I'm actually thinking*** about selling my Bonafides as I managed to pick up the 105HP's on a crazy deal. You can definitely find them floating around for good prices from time to time. The 105's are not as powerful as the 2017 Bonafides, and with their tapered tip and tails they don't have the carve-ability of the Bonafide, but they are equally damp, can handle actual off-piste crud better, and the additional rocker/taper allows you to vary turn shape much easier.

If you want a less aggressive ski, I actually think the 193cm Enforcers are super versatile and playful ski that can still be pushed pretty hard. They're also much snappier than the damp Bonafides. They just have slightly less edge grip and top-end speed. The Enforcers ski short, which is why I'm recommending 193 over the 185.

No ski can do it all right?

192 legend pro rider

Sent from my Moto E (4) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Cochises are kind of boring too. But very good at what they do well and easy to ski for something that can haul ass.

Black Crows Corvus?
    Wrenegade 108?
    Praxis MVP with heavy core?
    Kastle BMX 105 HP?

It's a dying genre.
    I’ve owned 3 of these 4. The new Corvus replaced my Wren 108 and I’m not missing them. I’m a huge Kastle fan — the ski you seek is FX95 HP. Replaced my BMX 105 HP awhile back then came around to score 95s late last year. Of my 9 quiver the FX95 HPs and Billy Goats is all anybody really needs - both 189cm.
    The ‘19 Corvus will become a popular ski once more mags rip it. Mark it down. One-ski quiver, add shifts and you’re unstoppable.

Hardpack/Crud ski?

OG Cochise or Katana. The Bonafide is a great groomer and soft crud ski, but those tails aren’t very loose, IMO. I think the Gen 4 rockered Mantra should be a consideration, too.

My new do-it-all compromise in the middle Ski is the Rustler 11. Seeing you are selling yours it must not strike the same chord with you.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Try the 187 Masterblasters for under 100mm uf

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

pm Caucasian Asian

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Anyone looking for cheap replacement skis?

I’ve got a couple pairs to unload. 192 XXL, 192 Solly Rocker, and a 189 kore 117.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point