Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need an east coast ripper

Ok so I'm back on the least coast and need a tool for the primary hard pack conditions. Haven't had a ski sub 110waist in a long time. Was thinking 85- 100 waist. 185ish length maybe 181 just for ease of kids time. Maybe something that would float in some snow. I can ski pow with skinnier sticks. As many know been skiing Alta last 11 years so I can hold my own. 6'3", 200lbs.

Whatcha got?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Ok so I'm back on the least coast and need a tool for the primary hard pack conditions. Haven't had a ski sub 110waist in a long time. Was thinking 85- 100 waist. 185ish length maybe 181 just for ease of kids time. Maybe something that would float in some snow. I can ski pow with skinnier sticks. As many know been skiing Alta last 11 years so I can hold my own. 6'3", 200lbs.

Whatcha got?

Got a set of brand new Liberty Origin 96 187s straight tape is just over 185. Pm for deets if interested.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Enforcer 93 or 100......
    Monster 88
    Mantra/Kendo
    Bonafide/Cochise/Rustler 9 or 10

I’m on Wren108 or Katana at Hunter/VT most Sundays....so I might not give the best advice....lol

Head Kore 93

ON3P Wren88s in 184cm. If you can find them
    About 25cm tip rise, a little bit of tail splay, 21m turn radius and stiff as a priest at boys choir practice

Kastle FX 95 HP 181cm

Stout and edgy, can also be skied a little mellower, decent float. I really like this ski as it sits a little friendlier and more versatile than a Bonafide, but sturdier than some of the more playful shapes in this category (many with no or just partial metal).

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
    Kastle FX 95 HP 181cm

Stout and edgy, can also be skied a little mellower, decent float. I really like this ski as it sits a little friendlier and more versatile than a Bonafide, but sturdier than some of the more playful shapes in this category (many with no or just partial metal).
    These came up on stp.for.like $449. I was wondering. Thanks.

Thanks for the other reccos. I love my Cochise but think they're too much for everyday east coast. I do like blizzard though.

Keep em coming.

I will also recommend a set of WC slalom skis. When it's icy, and the pitch is mellow with only groomers to ski, these are a great exercise machine. Like a different sport.

These are great for all around east coast skiing. Pretty sweet deal.
    https://www.sierratradingpost.com/fi...skis~d~9694%2F

3rd vote for WC SL skis

used pairs can be found at a very reasonable price, buy from racers and the bases are usually immaculate.

At your weight I'd say 187cm Bonafides or 184cm Monster 98's. If you want a mellower and more playful ski, the Enforcer 93's are a lot of fun, though their edge hold on hard snow and speed tolerance are certainly lower. Also, just so you know, the Enforcer skis short, so you should consider sizing up on that one. 185 or 193 are the options, I believe. I always wondered if the edge hold / speed limitations I found on the Enforcer would have been solved had I been demoing the 193's.

Btw, I'm 6'4" 180lbs

I’ll keep beating this horse.

186 Dynastar x88

Best ski in the new Legend-X lineup. This one has the big mountain charger heritage of the OG legends. Full titanal construction, modern sidecut/dims, moderate rocker. I would compare it favorably to the wren 88 but with a more powerful/locked in tail and the monster 88 but more energy transfer in/out of turns. It does give up some high frequency damping to those two though.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    These are great for all around east coast skiing. Pretty sweet deal.
    https://www.sierratradingpost.com/fi...skis~d~9694%2F
    Really like my Motive 86's. These are supposed to be better. Good price.

I think the 93 mounted back are quite stable....on the line they feel like tooth picks.

Blizzard Brahma

Praxis 9d or snd are on sale right now

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Soul 7
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    3rd vote for WC SL skis

used pairs can be found at a very reasonable price, buy from racers and the bases are usually immaculate.
    4th.

but it's a quiver ski for corduroy, and if you buy used from a racer, make sure there's still some edge left....sometimes they're being sold because they're out of steel to sharpen.
    Don't be like this sucker. paying a chunk of money for skis with no tuning life left.

Oh, and here's a fun convo I had after moving back from Utah.... Me, on a chair, to a race coach: "I'm still really missing skiing soft snow." Her: "well, you need to get your skis sharpened, then you can learn to ski ice."
    Me: "I didn't say I didn't know how to sharpen my skis, or ski ice...I said I was missing soft snow."

Oh it's great. You're going to love it.

Anything with a bit of camber. Skinny waists suck. You'll always end up on hardpack, but the goal is soft and deep-er. My resort skis are 115.

Blizzard Brahma for a 50/50 east coast daily driver.... I also really like the Blizzard Quattro 8.4ti as a mostly frontside carver with some off trail float.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Anything with a bit of camber. Skinny waists suck. You'll always end up on hardpack, but the goal is soft and deep-er. My resort skis are 115.
    Pow skis for pow!

Just sayin, pistes are pretty fun if you have a ski designed for that terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    4th.

but it's a quiver ski for corduroy, and if you buy used from a racer, make sure there's still some edge left....sometimes they're being sold because they're out of steel to sharpen.
    Don't be like this sucker. paying a chunk of money for skis with no tuning life left.

Oh, and here's a fun convo I had after moving back from Utah.... Me, on a chair, to a race coach: "I'm still really missing skiing soft snow." Her: "well, you need to get your skis sharpened, then you can learn to ski ice."
    Me: "I didn't say I didn't know how to sharpen my skis, or ski ice...I said I was missing soft snow."

Oh it's great. You're going to love it.
    Oh really I totally can't wait. I bet you can literally feel my excitement through this post.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
    Pow skis for pow!

Just sayin, pistes are pretty fun if you have a ski designed for that terrain.
    They're not 'pow' skis, but they're not ice skates either. They are tanks though. Crud rippers. I'd rather fat bike or just go out in the woods than ride a lift and ski hard groomers...but whatever floats your boat.

You can still find these things cheap. The 105 waist might be better for some.

Line Influence 115 Skis
    MSRP: $940.00
    Get it for: $361.90
    The biggest reaction to the redesigned Influence 115 was that of surprise at how well it carved for such a wide ski. “The Influence surprised me so much. They literally gripped it while I ripped it,” commented one of our larger, faster skiers. “I’m very impressed with this ski.” The Influence was docked slightly in the playfulness category due to its stiff flex pattern, but the flex is also responsible for its high carving points. The ski has generous early rise in the tip, camber underfoot and early rise in the tail.

Bonafides (not the most recent one, but the burlier metal one) and Monster 98s get a lot of press in this genre, but I preferred the Kastle MX98s, as do most mags who try them. I'm 6'0" 220lb, and the 184cm is plenty for me.

MX88 might be even better for you.

Check Powder7 for sales. Some mags may be holding as well. I was tempted on those 194s from a while back, but I can't remember if they sold.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_B10 View Post
    Blizzard Brahma
    This.