Looking for construction work in Colorado

10+ years of combined experience in custom tile/natural stone/hardwood flooring and construction (framing/roofing/trim). I also own $15k in tools.

I'm just wrapping up reconstruction of a rotten 3,500 sq. ft. 'hot roof' in Minnesota right now. I can start in late April or early May.

Looking to work 50 hour weeks April - November and limited hours December - March.

I'm 35 and just trying to live out my childhood dream of being a part-time ski bum for the next 25 years. Looking to go 50/50 resort/touring, so nearby backcountry access is a bonus..
    "Skiing is the easy part, Carl."

You should be looking for housing. The work part wont be a problem.

That's a long time from now but if you're doing freelance you can send me a msg when you get here.

Well if anyone knows of housing, that would be cool. I have the cash to last a year without work, but if I can find a job before housing that would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    That's a long time from now but if you're doing freelance you can send me a msg when you get here.
    Thanks man. Which part of the state?

PM Fastfred, he’s a GC in Summit County.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Tons of work in Alaska.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I've been a contractor in the mountains of Colorado for a long time. It is a good way to pay the bills. If you have specific questions ask. In no particular order, here are some thoughts.

Colorado is a big place with a lot of towns in the mountains with ski areas and backcountry options. I'd think about where you want to ski and ski before you get a job. For example, Aurora, Bayfield, Vail, Hayden & Granby all fit the desciption. They are pretty different.

I wouldn't move here just for the skiing...just sayin'. With all the multi-area passes, ski bummin=RVing to me. People always talk about winters off. When summer comes, everyone wants to hike, bike, raft, kayak etc.

Work. Lots o' options with different vibes in different communities. Some companies pay there labor a lot of money and demand a quality product, a dependable human being and a high degree of flexibility. Other companies pay their labor shit and just deal with warranty work, no shows and general shitty humans. Many bosses suck.

Do you want paycheck work, 1099 sub work or operate your own business? I'd think about your income requirements and your tolerance for risk.

Honestly, it sounds like an amazing opportunity. I'd probably work on some type of portfolio, load up my hand tools and camping gear and go on a road trip. If the lifestyle you say is a priority to you, stay flexible.

wages are low housing is high
    don't bother with colorado

work all you can this year because the shit hits the fan in late sept 2019 and we'll all be back to 100 day ski seasons just like 2009 and when I was 22, can't wait

been pricing out lumber packs for the spring and materials are stupid, real stupid, granted steel hasn't gone up since June, contrary to what ever one is hearing, but I'm sure that will go up in march or april this year, with the high cost of materials and (other factors insert long list) things are going to slow down

most people will 1099 you in colorado, so if you don't file taxes like everyone does here, you'll be making bank anywhere from 20-35 an hr tax free possibly more if you are in with the right people
    there are so many clowns out here you need to be very very careful, I can't over state the idiots and low ballers, and first class clowns, if someone promises to pay you big bucks right off the bat, be learly, most contractor types are here today gone tomorrow, under bidding and one step away from bankruptcy, you'll be left holding your balls wondering where that check is. Be very very careful who you get into bed with out here.

Me on the other hand, I sub to legit subs, but have a bunch of employees, I only pay 12.00 an hr cause your an employee. Taxes, WC, liablity, UE, 40 hrs a week, 6 holidays paid, no pto, overtime is only allowed sept - dec and sometimes in may. If I like you and you and you promise to come back in the spring I'll let you take UE for the winter. No drugs or alcohol at work. Lots of crews smoke weed all day if thats your thing. We do everything from framing - siding - drywall - paint - stain - trim - stone - tile - occasional roofing, always willing to take a loss to teach someone a skill they don't have, I do sub shit like drywall, paint, big stone jobs, and roofing out on large projects Since I have no clue about my payroll, I think it runs 27 an hr for my cheapest guy and 38 for my most expensive. I pay well, charge some of the highest prices in my area, I was just laughing about charging $1800.00 for three drywall patches the other day and I do expect guys to be on their A game at all times.

Fred always says it better than I do. I have one full time guy that works for me. He gets 1099d @ $33/hr. It's a bargin as he has to put up with my bullshit. Here is Grand County, I bill at about $55/hr.

What these guys said...

Plenty of work on the Western Slope too.. Pick an area you can deal with. Most have high housing... some by order of magnitudes..
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Tesla's paying $30-$40/hr in Reno for carpenters. Place is booming with res/commercial work everywhere.

I appreciate all the advice. Looking to end up in the Salida/Buena Vista/Leadville area. Copper, Loveland, Basin, CB and Wolf Creek are where I want to ski the most. Looking to mostly slack this spring and next year, then get heavier into touring.

I've looked heavily into Alaska and the Reno/Tahoe area, but I've been skiing in CO since I was kid and lived in Edwards in '05-'06. The mountains in CO have a certain energy that I can't really explain. But it's the same every time I get there, no matter how long it's been.

Leadville is your closest shot at I-70 money. Salida and BV do not pay well at all. There are lots of contractors here that hack and are not licensed, they use drug addicts and high school kids to do the work, it all dries up in November. Nobody here wants to pay for craftsmanship or skill. The contractors that are here have home buyers over a barrel. They tell people to get fucked and do jobs that are a benefit to them. No service work or willingness to help. They love a good sucker from out of state. There are 4 houses within 5 miles of me that have not C-of O’ed because of failed inspections. Like said above, some folks offer to pay big bucks and stiff you when it’s time to pay. Charge double your fair price rate and get 2/3 up front. The Hispanics are making huge money from silverthorne to eagle. They don’t even bother with BV salida. I’m Trying to help you. Good luck, I wish I’d never moved to BV and I’m a licensed craftsman.
    Falling feels like flying........for a little while.

Bob:

Can you swing a Salida spec home? Seems you could kill it doing that.

I'm looking to gain construction experience, am on the front range. Would temporarily relocate for right project. Hard worker looking to gain skills and tools, mainly grunt labor but have some wood skills, hand tools, and ambition. Longtime lurker.

Trying to work hard get paid, and live a flexible life. Sending some of you guys PMs, feel free to do the same.

I'm also looking for a job

I have a contractor friend here in Pagosa Springs who is desperate for skilled help, or someone willing to learn. He's currently building a couple of houses and lack of help is crippling.

Wolf Creek, Purgatory, and Silverton are the closest ski areas in that order. Both Taos and Telluride are about three hours away.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.