Tokyo Eats. Whatcha Got?

Have three nights solo in Tokyo for work. Work in the fishing industry and love me some fish. Figure it won't be hard to find good food but wanted so see if anyone had any stand out recs.

Go on YouTube and search for strictly dumpling, Mark wiens, and Saito.

Subsearch their channels for Tokyo.

Prepare to be overwhelmed.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Go on YouTube and search for strictly dumpling, Mark wiens, and Saito.

Subsearch their channels for Tokyo.

Prepare to be overwhelmed.
    Perfect. Thanks.

I do not know how things are now since Tsukiji Market closed. There were many small sushi restaurants and street stalls in the neighborhood. Fun way to have breakfast after visiting the market. Maybe the same exists at the new location. I have only had one lousy meal in Japan. Some Indian place in hakuba. I imagine you can walk into any restaurant in Tokyo and have a great meal. I have had good luck in places where I could not read the menu. Just tell them how much you would like to pay and let them serve you. I am in the fishing industry what is your end?
    off your knees Louie

I'm headed for Tokyo a week from tomorrow, so posting in this very important thread.

So Jiro's place from Jiro Dreams of Sushi fame - lives up to the hype or what?

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I do not know how things are now since Tsukiji Market closed. There were many small sushi restaurants and street stalls in the neighborhood. Fun way to have breakfast after visiting the market. Maybe the same exists at the new location. I have only had one lousy meal in Japan. Some Indian place in hakuba. I imagine you can walk into any restaurant in Tokyo and have a great meal. I have had good luck in places where I could not read the menu. Just tell them how much you would like to pay and let them serve you. I am in the fishing industry what is your end?
    Thanks. I'll be visiting the new facility. Not sure what is there now, but the looking forward to seeing a bunch of shit I've never laid eyes on before. I used to fish in SE. Now I work for one of the processing companies that has some facilities in Japan and Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'm headed for Tokyo a week from tomorrow, so posting in this very important thread.

So Jiro's place from Jiro Dreams of Sushi fame - lives up to the hype or what?
    +1 here.

Planning for next January and having a hard time justifying the $300 per person charge. Then again I haven’t been to a 2 Michelin Star restaurant and this might be the only time I would go.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I have only had one lousy meal in Japan. Some Indian place in hakuba.
    Hah. I bet that I know the place.

My wife and I always say that you can walk into any restaurant in Japan, and the food is at least a five on a 1-10 scale. Not all are amazing, but you’re unlikely to be disappointed.

We’ve done fancy sushi quite a few times. Always delicious, but there is/was a stall at the market that was as good for literally less a tenth of the price that we’d hit for breakfast and lunch. But you stand at a counter. For the past few years, we’ve skipped the starred sushi restaurants and have eaten there repeatedly. If you want the experience, any of the well known places will give it to you and you’re splitting hairs between them.

I/we also would highly recommend Tempura Tsunahachi in Shinjuku. Everything is fantastic, but the seafood offerings are world class. You don’t need to be there right at 11 as the line moves quickly as there’s a second floor.

https://tokyocheapo.com/food-and-dri...ra-tsunahachi/

All above recommendations are great. Tsukiji outer market is still operational from what I've heard, so all the stalls etc will be as normal. There is a good Kobe beef skewer stall there which I definitely recommend. If you are looking at buying Kobe beef anywhere know that they have to by law have on prominent display the Kobe certification. Most places don't have this and thus are not real Kobe.

ichiran for ramen is a must do

p.s the Taj Mahal Indian in niseko is actually pretty good

The Eater guide to Tokyo is not super up-to-date (2016) but has a lot of very useful general info. I spent probably as much energy on eating well affordable in Japan as I did on skiing and that was a good source.

Cliff’s notes:

-if you’re willing to put in the effort, tabelog is the best resource. But it’s not very user friendly if you can read japanese and even less so when you’re filtering it through google translate. It’s like yelp but 10x better.

-mid-range sushi is craaaaazy good. If you want to taste what the elite stuff is and spend the hundreds of dollars a person and reserve months ahead then go for it; but the middle tier is going to be better than 99.9% of the sushi in the US.

Go get Yakitori at one of the Shinjuku places in piss alley with the salarymen getting drunk.

The best ramen places are generally in random places in Tokyo. I would take the long train rides to seek them out and it was fun to see neighborhoods there’s otherwise no reason to go to.