Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eating in Lyon.

Eating in Lyon.

After a few weeks up at Val D'Siere and Les Arcs, I'm flying out of Lyon. I'm not wasting this, spending a few days there in Lyon, who knows when and if I'll be back. Bourdain taught me that it's a culinary Nirvana, so, I want two good meals during two to three days. One about as good as I can get in a suitcase packed jacket and pants, with wine pairings each course, and another more bistro like, less formal, but excellent food. Anybody been?

No real food recommendations but the printing museum there is pretty interesting, I've mentioned it in another thread about Lyon. Good for an hour or three

I would pass on anything with snails.

Bon appetite.

3 Stars.....

https://www.bocuse.fr/en/paul-bocuse-restaurant.html

Ala Carte Menu....

https://www.bocuse.fr/media/original...se-anglais.pdf

For your reservations... note, "Elegant casual wear (jacket and trousers) is required for men."

Book a table

Yeah, a bit much. Even Bourdain wore his Sunday best when he was served a magnificent meal there. Maybe two stars. Hell, I'll bet one star in Lyon is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    3 Stars.....

https://www.bocuse.fr/en/paul-bocuse-restaurant.html

Ala Carte Menu....

https://www.bocuse.fr/media/original...se-anglais.pdf

For your reservations... note, "Elegant casual wear (jacket and trousers) is required for men."

Book a table

Even at 50% off, that is a complete rip off.

Those types of places will not last much longer.

Hell, I be most millennial's don't even know who Bocuse was.

Still, that's disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Even at 50% off, that is a complete rip off.

Those types of places will not last much longer.

Hell, I be most millennial's don't even know who Bocuse was.

Still, that's disgusting.
    Learn to spell.

Bunny, you want a Bouchon for your less expensive meal. Take your pick among many by asking a local when you’re there.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It's a while since I've been in Lyon but I work in food and drink so hear a fair bit about what is or is not good.

Re: "rip off" comments - high end restaurants are expensive as heck in France. The ingredients cost a fortune, the cuisine is extremely labour-intensive so they have huge brigades in the kitchen and insane labour costs. If you want *** it's going to cost €€€, there's no way around it.

Several friends have been to Bocuse recently and none of them thought it was worthwhile. It's THE temple to gastronomy, and he was a legend in French cuisine, but the consensus I get is that the restaurant kept its stars as a result of past glories and Bocuse's historic reputation, not because it still merits them. The food is traditional, in an old-fashioned way, rather than a good way.

If you want the formal thing then I'd maybe look at Mere Brazier instead (I haven't been, not my sort of place - but much better by reputation). Traditional as well, but more in touch with modern tastes. Also easier to get to than Bocuse (which is outside the city). It'll still be €150 - €200 per person for a tasting menu, before you think about booze. If you still want the experience but not the bill then most places like that do a set lunch menu (probably pejoratively named "business lunch" or something like that, but don't be put off...) which is a fraction of the price.

If Michelin guide floats your boat then you can search here, and filter by number of stars and price. IMO the 1-star places tend to lend themselves to having a fun time more than the temples of gastronomy. Bib gourmand is a useful classification: good food, great value.

For less formal, +1 for a bouchon. I'll be hanging out with some Lyonnais folks in early Feb, happy to ask for local recs for you then, if not too late for you.

Les Halles de Lyon Paul Bocuse (food market with several restaurants - named in his honour, not actually run by him) probably worth a visit too.

You like wine? Some of the finest Rhones are made very near the city - Hermitage La Chapelle etc. If they interest you it'd be worth a vineyard visit or two, or failing that, a tasting in one of the cellars in the city. Personally I've never regretted visiting a vineyard in France.

Thanks. I'm there late March, so, please , report back.

On second thought, a couple of fairly informal but excellent meals may be more my speed. Bouchon sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Thanks. I'm there late March.
    But what about BBI @ Utah ?
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

France. The Alps!

So why do you want to eat a lion?
    I have been told its rather tough meat.
    Zebra is actually not bad. Had a Zebra steak in Capetown last summer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Damn Benny, you pretty much can't go wrong with like 20 Michelin starred restaurants.
    Live Free or Die

Yeah, I'm going to cross reference Michelin, Yelp, and TripAdvisor. That should do the trick.

A friend seconded La Mere Brazier. Now I want to go there.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

So my friends had a few bouchon suggestions. One said Le Musée in the 2 ème arrondissement. Otherwise Brasserie Georges in Perrache or l’Est de Bocuse are good addresses

And the other, who is really into really traditional local food (lots of offal) said to get a cab out of town to Auberge du Village in Dardilly (about 10km out of the city). I don’t think it is a stunningly beautiful place to look at (though I could be confusing it with somewhere else) but it is absolutely the real deal if you want classic Lyonnaise food.

I found foodie heaven. The food market https://thisislyon.fr/food-and-drink...alles-de-lyon/ which was recommended to me in this thread. Ridiculous. Glad I started my tour on a full stomach from breakfast. I really can't imagine a market better than this.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 03-23-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Oh dang!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Yeah, holeeeee crap!
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Oh, and this trip just convinced me that French girls are from heaven.

I am here now. Like right now. Amazing weather, good food, and girls in backlog nylons where you staying?
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Yeah, I'm going to cross reference Michelin, Yelp, and TripAdvisor. That should do the trick.
    I'd skip the trip advisor and yelp. The people who post on it are mostly old curmudgeons like me.

Oh, and this trip just convinced me that French girls are from heaven.
    Pft. To find that out, you coulda just gone to the Frog Festival in Rayne, LA.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

The last time I spent a night in Lyon we ate at Foundation Paul Bocuse.
    One of his foundation restaurants was the only option to get a reso on short notice.

I spent the last 3 years of my French life in Lyon. The move to SLC was fucking hell on my taste buds... I still haven't really recovered and every time I go home I fly back with at least 10 lbs of cheese. Double that now that Ms Boissal is along for the ride. Jeebus bless that country and the stuff they feed you.