Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Use www.hrs.com

Can make last minute reservations and includes small pensions as well as hotels. You can reserve without a credit card and cancel without penalty if plans change or can protect reservation by using a credit card.

I booked everything using a mix of AirBnB, Booking.com and direct with the Rigufio. Most places don't require pre-payment, and have pretty flexible cancellation policies. We're staying in pretty nice places throughout the two weeks and the lodging costs are fairly reasonable. That said, there are definitely some super expensive places too.

Same outside.

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Good plan I just would go straight from Munchen on the train and spend those first/last nights in Bolzano or Trento. Unless you love German food.
    Eat some speck.
    At Fuciade order the filetto di cervo.
    Do the walk in, not the drive. It's easy and flat and fun, especially at night back to the car at Passo San Pellegrino.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    As of now, it looks like this is the travel plan:

- Spend a day or two in Kochel, Germany after landing in Munich
    - Split 7-8 nights in Italy between Val Gardena area and Cortina d'Ampezzo, hopefully with two nights at Rifugio Fuciade mixed in
    - Hit Berchtesgaden for a day or two after leaving Italy on the way back to Munich before departing

It looks like there are more photo spots than I'd be able to tackle in my lifetime up there, so I'm pretty damn pumped to say the least. Plus, mixing in a big MTB ride like the Sellaronda is just icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Good plan I just would go straight from Munchen on the train and spend those first/last nights in Bolzano or Trento. Unless you love German food.
    Eat some speck.
    Too funny. The whole Alto Adige area was a German-speaking until WWII and called South Tirol. Speck is a German word. Bolzano was originally Bozen, etc.

IMHO everything between Munich and Verona is fucking awesome.

Bumping this thread with pretty similar trip plan.

Flying into Zurich mid-July plan to stay 10 days or so. Wife and I, budget minded. Mostly interested in small towns for hiking. Maybe a 2 night hut trip if possible. Definitely prefer low-key, off-the-radar spots rather than the usual travel site suggestions.

Not really sure where to even start looking as my alp experience is limited to the Lermoos/Ehrwald area 30 years ago.

Any recs?

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Bumping this thread with pretty similar trip plan.

Flying into Zurich mid-July plan to stay 10 days or so. Wife and I, budget minded. Mostly interested in small towns for hiking. Maybe a 2 night hut trip if possible. Definitely prefer low-key, off-the-radar spots rather than the usual travel site suggestions.

Not really sure where to even start looking as my alp experience is limited to the Lermoos/Ehrwald area 30 years ago.

Any recs?
    We were skiing around Cortina and knocked out the Sella Ronda and the Marmolada Glacier the same day February past. We skied the Matterhorn area last year. Northern Italy is simply a great place. There is the FOOD and then there are the prices. Last year, we skied one day into Zermatt. The food prices were around 400% more than the Italian side.

But I'm hot now to go to a soccer (Futball) game. Looks awesome.. Should I buy tickets in advance?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1311699542267809

Wheels are turning here

Now we are thinking that we leave the family after the week in Lucca and head North toward Switzerland.

Spend a week crossing the mountains and fly home out of Zurich. Combination of trains and cars and busses.

Seems like a great place to spend a week!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Wheels are turning here

Now we are thinking that we leave the family after the week in Lucca and head North toward Switzerland.

Spend a week crossing the mountains and fly home out of Zurich. Combination of trains and cars and busses.

The main train line from Milan goes up to Erstfeld. Get out there, hop a small train back to Goeschenen, get a ride up to here:

Gasthaus Göscheneralp
    Seraina Wicky
    041 885 11 74
    Info@gasthaus-goescheneralp.ch
    Www.gasthaus-goescheneralp.ch
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Wheels are turning here

If you go by car, think about going via chiavenna ( most beautiful alpine City I've been to) and oberengadin and then North and West via davos/Lenzerheide

or chiavenna and monte spluga and then back nortz/West via thusis disentis and oberalp pass.

You can't go wrong with val calanca and lukmanier Pass into Sedrun and up the oberalp pass either.

Or go: Gotthard Highway then leave in airolo ( right before the Tunnel!) and go through the val bedretto and nufenen pass into the goms and then back North via grimsel pass and back east via susten pass this is the most true alpine route with All the passes. All end up in Zurich somehow.

Depends what you want to do... the hiking and scenery is marvelous at( I don't hike but I've driven by with skis or crash pads...)every one if those itenaries.

All these Routes are doable by Bus and train too. It takes some planing though to combine train and Bus schedules.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Follow Mussolini's escape route up past Bellagio into the mountains surrounding Lake Como. He tried to make it to Switzerland, but, as we all know, didnt quite make it. Como is awesome.

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Lago di Como is nice. When heading north from there include a stop in Soglio.

If you stop in ticino, Locarno is really nice and be sure to head into the Valle verzasca.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.