ISO : men’s beginner skis

Took my cousin out today and he is hooked. Got him cheap boots off CL. Looking for a starter ski.

5ft 8in - 150#

Ideally something with an adjustable track binder and something that is cheap. Anything but red... that’s too fast. Lastly something near Seattle it Spokane would be great.

What cha got.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Let me check my storage. Might have something in a 180

Edit: Atomic MX7 in 177 with Solly Z12 demos. Everything basically brand new. $50?

Edit 2: Ahh shit. They are red.

I've got a pair of 2016 165cm Kastle FX85's. They have the Kastle bindings that adjust for various boot sizes. Soft and easy to ski. $200 shipped.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Utagonian; 12-29-2018 at 10:08 AM.

179 K2 Kung Fujas. Multiple mounts, but the "hot mount" is inserts for Wardens at 305BSL.

$75 shipped. Can add Warden 13s for $125.

169 Nordica soul riders with attack 13 demos for $175

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

There was a pair of pinnacle 88’s with demo bindings on gear swap.

Subscribed.

Also looking for a set for a friend who's a very, very beginner.

He needs a 165-170 ish, and relatively soft torsionally (a true beginner ski).
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    179 K2 Kung Fujas. Multiple mounts, but the "hot mount" is inserts for Wardens at 305BSL.

$75 shipped. Can add Warden 13s for $125.
    That’s what he was skiing on, not sure it’s the best ski to learn on.

Quote Originally Posted by Teenaged View Post
    169 Nordica soul riders with attack 13 demos for $175

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

I like the sounds of that but maybe too many slices of bacon. I’ll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Let me check my storage. Might have something in a 180

Edit: Atomic MX7 in 177 with Solly Z12 demos. Everything basically brand new. $50?

Edit 2: Ahh shit. They are red.
    Price is right. How do they ski? 177 might be a touch long for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    I've got a pair of 2016 165cm Kastle FX85's. They have the Kastle bindings that adjust for various boot sizes. Soft and easy to ski. $200 shipped.

Hell of a ski/combo just not sure he wants to spend $200 let me check.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post

Price is right. How do they ski? 177 might be a touch long for him.
    TGR Forums
    Honestly, I've never skied them. Threw them together to have as a spare set for guests. Only used them one time for my nephew who's prob about 165 lbs. He seemed to do fine on them. 70mm waist ski.
    Last edited by Soups; 12-29-2018 at 06:02 PM.

I have 4 Uber beginner friends. We should all meet at Lookout and have a newbie day

Question need help Huascarans vs Wailers

Question for someone with knowledge. I like to B.C. ski with a large group. For two seasons I have been using a Huascaran 177 (112 width) and a Scarpa Maestrale boot. Yesterday I went out with a Dynafit "one" boot and a 99 DPS wailer 168 cm. I was really surprised to find I was having trouble skid turning the Wailers off piste. The Wailers carve better than the Huascarans but I need to be able to skid turn the Wailers. I need to some input on this. I weigh 168 pounds am 68 inches tall. Reason I wanted to switch to the Wailers is the uphill...I have trouble kick turning the Huascarans and I thought the shorter Wailers would make everything uphill easier.

Quote Originally Posted by mc51c0 View Post
    Question for someone with knowledge. I like to B.C. ski with a large group. For two seasons I have been using a Huascaran 177 (112 width) and a Scarpa Maestrale boot. Yesterday I went out with a Dynafit "one" boot and a 99 DPS wailer 168 cm. I was really surprised to find I was having trouble skid turning the Wailers off piste. The Wailers carve better than the Huascarans but I need to be able to skid turn the Wailers. I need to some input on this. I weigh 168 pounds am 68 inches tall. Reason I wanted to switch to the Wailers is the uphill...I have trouble kick turning the Huascarans and I thought the shorter Wailers would make everything uphill easier.
    Can't really help with your question on the Wailers 'cause I've never skied them, but plenty of people ski steep and narrow lines in Wailers where you'd want to skid, so I can't imagine it's an issue with the Wailer design. FWIW, I think the Wailers are a significantly smaller radius ski than your Huascarans, so you may also need to skid them less than you would the Huascarans. Skid turns require you to hold the ski base flatter to the snow than you would in a carved turn. I'm not so good at trigonometry, so I don't know if this makes any sense, but perhaps the decrease in width results in a higher edge angle on the snow for the same body positioning, and you're thus carving and not skidding? Or maybe your tune was hooky or the bevels were more aggressive than you were used to?

Either way... You shouldn't be having trouble with kick turns on a 177 cm ski! That's not particularly long. Where's the trouble? If it's in getting the ski to retract back up against your boot when you pick your foot up, then you may have a mount that's too far forward for easy kick turns. The longer lever arm between the toe pivot and the back of your ski means that the ski is no longer balanced and has a tendency to shoot the tip up in the air instead of balancing the ski front-to-back. You can figure out if that's an issue pretty easily... Put 'em on in your living room and lift your leg and see how balanced it is fore and aft. If that's not an issue, then working on the approach angles and the mechanics of your kick turn (especially the snap at the end) may help. The easiest solution is probably to video yourself doing a few kick turns and post the video up here for some feedback/insults from the mags. Either way, don't give up on your skis because of your kick-turn. They're probably not the issue!

My issues with kick turns are in deep snow going steep uphill. I have trouble getting the nose of my ski high enough. I am sure this is a technique issue, but I figured the wailers would be easier (being shorter) and they...are! In fact the Wailers do everything uphill easier but I was shocked at how difficult it was skid turning them. Seems logical that I am not keeping them as flat, that is a good observation. Might very well also be the edges, as the Wailers carve really well (I love carving but not in trees). I was also wondering if it might be the boots? The Maestrales seemed less upright than the Dynafits, and more responsive some how.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    Can't really help with your question on the Wailers 'cause I've never skied them, but plenty of people ski steep and narrow lines in Wailers where you'd want to skid, so I can't imagine it's an issue with the Wailer design. FWIW, I think the Wailers are a significantly smaller radius ski than your Huascarans, so you may also need to skid them less than you would the Huascarans. Skid turns require you to hold the ski base flatter to the snow than you would in a carved turn. I'm not so good at trigonometry, so I don't know if this makes any sense, but perhaps the decrease in width results in a higher edge angle on the snow for the same body positioning, and you're thus carving and not skidding? Or maybe your tune was hooky or the bevels were more aggressive than you were used to?

Either way... You shouldn't be having trouble with kick turns on a 177 cm ski! That's not particularly long. Where's the trouble? If it's in getting the ski to retract back up against your boot when you pick your foot up, then you may have a mount that's too far forward for easy kick turns. The longer lever arm between the toe pivot and the back of your ski means that the ski is no longer balanced and has a tendency to shoot the tip up in the air instead of balancing the ski front-to-back. You can figure out if that's an issue pretty easily... Put 'em on in your living room and lift your leg and see how balanced it is fore and aft. If that's not an issue, then working on the approach angles and the mechanics of your kick turn (especially the snap at the end) may help. The easiest solution is probably to video yourself doing a few kick turns and post the video up here for some feedback/insults from the mags. Either way, don't give up on your skis because of your kick-turn. They're probably not the issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post

Also looking for a pair of beginner skis for a friend! True beginner, 5' 8" 130, probably looking for around 160ish length. She took out a pair of 158 rentals this weekend and seemed pretty solid on them and given her height figure she can probably go up in size.

The Kastle setup is pretty appealing...only concern that it might be a hair long?

It was my technique. Nothing to do with the skis. New boots/liners managed to alter my technique. Once the liners broke in everything clicked, skidding turns like a maniac now. I do think the dynafit "one" skis differently than a scarpa maestrale (not as well) but the "one" fits my feet and the maestrale doesn't. i sold the maestrales.