Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Making Boots Less Stiff??

I just got a pair of Technica Cochise 130s to replace a warranty issue Zero G Guide (dark green) from last year.

I tried on both the Cochise 120 and 130, and found that the 130 fit me better. For some reason I was having major heal lift issues in the 120 even though they are the same fit on paper as the 130s.

So, I've got the 130s and I really like the fit and features after a couple days of skiing. I'm realizing though that I actually liked the increased flexibility in the Zero Gs that I had. The 130s are great for making GS turns, but in the past couple years I've increasingly enjoyed making more nimble, more playful shorter turns that arent happening as easily in my new boots.

What are my options if I wanted to reduce the stiffness in the 130s by a little bit?

Thanks, mags.

Different fit is from different liners.

You can soften them a few ways. Cutting down the top of the lower shell along the front is the best. Take a half cm off and taper the cut to nothing around the ankle.

You could also just get the 120s with the 130 liner. Or, find a flimsy liner and it will make the 130 feel softer but you will probably not have the retention you want.

How is your dorsiflexion? If you have limited range of motion you may be flexing through the 120 boot and your limited range of motion causes your heel to lift?
    The 130 might be just stiff enough to keep your heel down.

Ski harder than you usually do for about 50-60 days. They’ll soften up a bit.

But in actually trying to help...

I put pro tour liners in my 130s a couple seasons ago. Definitely softer on the touring descent than inbounds with a wrap or the stock liner.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Thanks. Makes sense that the liner in the 120 was the issue. My shop thought it was the same liner, but I guess they didn't know.

Are there no other less invasive options? What about the least stiff booster strap?

If I go the cutting route, what is the protocol? Use heat gun to soften plastic, then cut? Are there any online tutorials?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    How is your dorsiflexion? If you have limited range of motion you may be flexing through the 120 boot and your limited range of motion causes your heel to lift?
    The 130 might be just stiff enough to keep your heel down.
    Dorsiflexion is good. Actually just had my buddy who is a doc evaluate, lol.

I think the main issue is that the 120s just have a less stiff liner and/or a liner that takes up less volume in the ankle area.

Less stiff where? Remove a rivet, cut notches into the boot, shave some of the boot shell down.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Less stiff where? Remove a rivet, cut notches into the boot, shave some of the boot shell down.
    I want it to be easier to flex the boot forward.

120 and 130 have the same liner. Only difference in powerstrap and cuff material. Did you try on the same size?

Deepen the U cuts above the ankle joints. Take 1/2 cm off, ski, see if you need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I want it to be easier to flex the boot forward.
    Loosen the booster strap and top buckle
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Back in the day I softened a Salomon wave 8.0 (4 buckle alpine ) by cutting a big V in the back of the lower boot with a box cutter and re moving the piece of plastic

There was even a line cast in the plastic to show you where to cut or so I thot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Are you into more elaborate experimental mods? Working on this system to soften, damp and allow for more ankle glide motion and progressive flex for my Dynafit Vulcans. Tried three different approaches thus far. The concept works but durability isn't there yet. The tinkering continues. I cut out the hole where the ski/walk mode locking knob inserts into for free forward flexing motion while remaining solid for rear support. Forward flex completely modulated by the added alu and two part dense, less dense rubber bumper thingy or the little rubber plug in the alu bracket. At this point, mod is removable/reversible to restore stock function of boot.

Maybe future versions the Pierre Gignoux boots with incorporate a ski touring boot oriented adaptation of the snowboard boot design.

Name:  24775003_948781895261148_1014527263176732299_n.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  111.4 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100295.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	922.7 KB 
ID:	261752

Name:  P1100315.JPG
Views: 1568
Size:  125.0 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PierreGignouxProduitsWeb_0004s_0012_Black-snowboard-Manipulation-levier.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	362.9 KB 
ID:	261754
    Master of mediocrity.

heat up shell with heat gun, cut with a razor

Booster strap inside the shell instead of outside.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    heat up shell with heat gun, cut with a razor
    If you ever decide to extend a v-notch, always drill a hole at the new vertex first.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    If you ever decide to extend a v-notch, always drill a hole at the new vertex first.

... Thom
    Great point, I’ve destroyed a boot this way before. I marked the cut, got the boot nice and warm and the the initial cut was stiff, but once the knife engaged it was like hot butter, and a cut/split went well below the point where the uppers overlap the lowers.
    Thank god it was a boot our shop sold them and we had a new shell/lower to replace this mistake.
    Reviewing my mistakes I had the shells too warm, and was not focused on the job at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Super easy when you can remove the upper cuff.... That is not the case with the Cochise.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I also have the cochise 130 and want it a little bit softer.
    Have a booster strap (softer one) lying around gonna try it on the boot to see if it gets any softer...

Whats the easiest way to make the cochise a bit softer orter than make a ”v”cut?

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by revolutionrock View Post
    I also have the cochise 130 and want it a little bit softer.
    Have a booster strap (softer one) lying around gonna try it on the boot to see if it gets any softer...

Whats the easiest way to make the cochise a bit softer orter than make a ”v”cut?

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

lower the front clog of the boot by 5mm.

As far as I know your options are:
    1. lower the clog
    2. deepen the v's on the side
    3. shave (dremel) some plastic off the cuff below the 3rd buckle.

mntlion is most knowledgable so go with no.1

'nuther thing. Is the boot really too stiff or is the top just biting into your shin?

If the latter, then experimentation with booster straps (mentioned earlier) is something to try - UNDER the shell (between liner and shell).

Some boots are more sensitive to balancing the tightness of the top two buckles. If they're imbalanced, the top of the cuff can bite into your shin. I had a pair of Dynafit Titans which I erroneously thought were too stiff because of this characteristic.

Frequently, fixing shin bang will make a boot feel softer. Eliminating pain is like that. Then again, some boots are too stiff for some people.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-03-2019 at 02:22 AM.
    Galibier Design

I think if I were looking at trimming boot plastic I’d be trying a dreml cut-off wheel if I could get it where I wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Eliminating pain is kike that. Then again, some boots are too stiff for some people.

... Thom
    Friggin autocorrect. Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Friggin autocorrect. Wtf?
    Lucky guess, eh? What was your clue? That it was keyed in on a smart phone? I swear, auticorrect gets worse with each release.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design