Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Black Crows Nocta

Anyone skied these? Specifically the 2017 orange ones? I think this is the year they moved to the full rocker and lighter base. I was thinking of snagging them as a powder ski for the deep days as well as a slackcountry and occasional touring. Looks like they're light for how wide they are so should suit the touring needs as well as as a fat ski can. The only downside I've read is that they're squirly on the hardpack but that's not why you get a 120+ rockered ski. From what I've read online people seem to say pretty good things about the ski and and brand but most of it seems like marketing so I'm wondering what you guys think. 200 lbs w/out gear, looking at the 188 length

Also, what would you guys consider a "good deal" on a 2017 lightly used one mount pair?

The Noctas are my favorite powder ski ever.

I got the orange ones in 185cm and recently just upgraded to the new ones in 190cm and mounted with Shifts for my upcoming Japan trip. They are light and playful yet surprisingly stable when you want to charge. Took them out the other day in some wet Sierra Cement at Squaw and they handled it no problem. Pivot on a dime, hence me going up to 190cm because they never feel that long even in tight trees.

They aren't squirrely at all on firmer snow (I mean soft-ish groomers, I'm not taking them out on refrozen shit). Because of the full rocker, all you have to do is tip them up on edge so they're surprisingly decent for 122 underfoot.

I'm 180-188 pounds / 5' 11" for reference.

Noctas > billy goats? Hot take! I need to try.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Noctas > billy goats? Hot take! I need to try.
    Well, I had a good 4 years on my Billy Goats, so I'd put it more like this: Noctas + Wren 108 > Billy Goats. But if I could have only one, BG's would win. If there's only a couple inches of fresh, I'm still going for my Wren's for sure, especially if it's firm underneath.

Interesting. I have wren 108s as well and yeah, they are great for less than epic pow days. Billy Goats are so rad for big and heavy resort pow days, especially after things are tracked out. AR event resort days like we had a lot of two seasons ago.

With how light the Noctas are, do they really stand up to tracked out snow that was rain up to 8000’?

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    With how light the Noctas are, do they really stand up to tracked out snow that was rain up to 8000’?
    Mine did just fine in some mashed potatoes the other day. I'm not going to say they're as good as the BG's in those conditions, but I like them more on the pure pow fun days. My legs last longer too since they're lighter and I'm swinging around less weight.

Wow, better than BGs? Never thought I'd hear those words. Looks like the ones I was looking at we're 2016. There was a major overhaul between 2016 and 2017 and the 2016s aren't quite the ski the 2017s and on were. Can anyone confirm?

Hmmmmm. It would be sweet to have one pow ski that would be good for both inbounds and touring.

Have you skied a Protest? Seems like a lightweight custom would be the other TGR-approved option for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Wow, better than BGs? Never thought I'd hear those words. Looks like the ones I was looking at we're 2016. There was a major overhaul between 2016 and 2017 and the 2016s aren't quite the ski the 2017s and on were. Can anyone confirm?
    for BG, 17/18, 18/19 (this year) added asym. Mixed reviews on the asym.

I added the 16/17 BG to my quiver in the offseason. Last pre-asym. Ive Skied them about six days this year. It has been an "ah hah" moment for me. RES plain works. Pretty blown away. Feel invincible out there on anything nbesides hardpack

Noctas seem like an interesting option for sure, where going longer is supposedly better. While still kinda different, once I clicked with my BMT122s I had a ton of fun, and Noctas seem to be kinda similar so I imagine them being a hoot as well.

As for BGs, I never clicked 100% with mine and just sold them today, pinning my chargy, powder hopes on custom stiffer k116s and w114s instead. That being said, I have never quite understood the negative feedback on the asym design as the main design goal of asym is the polar opposite of the critique they are getting. That just be me misunderstanding something or an issue for larger/heavier riders. Dunno, but still always fun to hear of people who are stoked with their skis regardless of I get on with them or not And yes, in variable BGs are pretty amazing, I'll give them that. (not to turn this into an ON3P thread )

If we are comparing, Noctas seem more appropriately matched up against C&D's than BG's considering they're both 122 underfoot. FWIW. If I didn't love my Wren 108's so much I would have kept my BG's in addition to the Noctas.

Anyone ski the 2016s when they were rocker-camber-rocker and 125mm underfoot instead of the full rocker they are now? Thoughts? Are they pretty similar to the new model or was it fully redesigned?

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Anyone ski the 2016s when they were rocker-camber-rocker and 125mm underfoot instead of the full rocker they are now? Thoughts? Are they pretty similar to the new model or was it fully redesigned?
    Didn't ski them before, but going full rocker will make a ski entirely different. I don't think I'd like them with camber but YMMV.

I skied the orange 2018 in 185. I need more length or I’m just not new school. Great easy ski just had some issues in deeper pow. Great on groomers but I tend to ski more directional skis. Is BG directional? Anyways if you can get a good deal try em.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I skied the orange 2018 in 185. I need more length or I’m just not new school. Great easy ski just had some issues in deeper pow. Great on groomers but I tend to ski more directional skis. Is BG directional? Anyways if you can get a good deal try em.
    Exactly why I upgraded to 190cm. I'm a directional skier and wanted just a little more ski in front of my boot. For a progressively mounted ski, these do allow you to drive the tips pretty nicely, I must say.

I got 188 Animas end of last season. Only had a few days on them, but super happy so far. Would be curious to hear how the Anima and Nocta compare. Been eyeing Noctas just to be a gear-whore.

Reviving this thread. Anyone been on the 2019 or 2020 Nocta yet? I believe they got a little lighter weight no? Looking for a fun low angle pow/tree ski to tour on and thought this might fit the bill. Was going to go back to. Lotus 138 and while I don’t expect this to have that unsinkable/surfy feel I was hoping it’d still be loose and playful while being better in the chop (vs the 138s). Any experiences are appreciated, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Reviving this thread. Anyone been on the 2019 or 2020 Nocta yet? I believe they got a little lighter weight no? Looking for a fun low angle pow/tree ski to tour on and thought this might fit the bill. Was going to go back to. Lotus 138 and while I don’t expect this to have that unsinkable/surfy feel I was hoping it’d still be loose and playful while being better in the chop (vs the 138s). Any experiences are appreciated, cheers!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3301.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	781.7 KB 
ID:	308428

Getting on this version (left ski) in Jan if Yurp gets some schnee... will revert if I remember to do so.

Will cross post here for my 190 nocta with one set of holes for fks at 307

Name:	IMG_0883.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	273.8 KB 
ID:	308475

Name:	IMG_0884.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	308476

Name:	IMG_0885.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	308477

Would like $450 local to SLC

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Nice, ya I saw those posted up. Probably going to go the 185 route. Have you skied em before? Why you going a different route?

Nice, ya I saw those posted up. Probably going to go the 185 route. Have you skied em before? Why you going a different route?
    I had 185 and now 190. Was maybe going shift. I’m all over the place. Seems like a good deal.

They measure 188. My old 185 measured 183

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Right on, were you not feeling the 185s or just getting some tip dive? Pretty neutral skier myself and don’t need much more ski in front of me for top end so figured the 185 would suffice.

Right on, were you not feeling the 185s or just getting some tip dive? Pretty neutral skier myself and don’t need much more ski in front of me for top end so figured the 185 would suffice.
    It was more big mtn for me so 190 seemed better
    Neutral stance is challenging for me

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

I’m on last year’s 185s at 170 lbs and they float well and are pretty quick for being so wide. I like them. And, have hit a few rocks and the bases/edges have held up.

Name:	IMG_9332.JPG 
Views:	398 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	308675