Thread: Fat bike pants?

Fat bike pants?

So I went last time in just base layers with MTB shorts and wind was not great in my drawers. Don’t have soft shell pants only hard shell. Can wear rain jacket for top but hard shell seems rough on lowers. These are serious questions and I don’t want to spend a ton on gear. I searched and failed.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I prefer to ski on snow and ride on dirt, but I have been riding a bit at night lately so picked up a pair of Club Ride Revolution pants for cold weather riding. So far, really happy with them, fit is great, nice stretch, don't catch on chainrings or anything, nicely wind resistant. Can't vouch for water resistance, and they are not cheap.

I have some Dynafit Transalper pants that I love

I’m not sure what “cheap” means to you. I don’t ride a bike on snow in winter and have never ridden when ambient temp is below 25*F, but I’ve been using a pair of sporthill Xc ski pants for cold and wet rides. Using the same pair for over a decade. Looking at their web site, the pants that I have are no longer available. They are insulated, highly wind resistance, and “loose” tights. They are not water resistant. I’ve worn them in pretty cold temps at Xc ski areas and wear them when running in windy mixed rain/snow weather.

A friend who used to live in slc and daily bike commuted (and now does the same in Anchorage) wears the precip material pants (hardshell) when it’s really cold with layers underneath. He runs hot and commutes at speed.

Very cheap options: Costco soft shell pants (I think they're narrow enough at the ankle to stay out of sprockets, but seams may be a little thick) or cheap/on sale running tights. I have a couple pairs of thermal Hind tights with wind proof panels on the front that work great along with bike shorts of whatever type. Polyester is water resistant, so whatever is cheap works pretty well. I think I paid 10-15 for these.

I bought a pair of Mountain Hardware alpine climbing pants from Steep & Cheap, they were around $ 100.00 but being cold sucks so I pulled the trigger.

They are a softshell that is pretty well made with several vents.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/mounta...uren-pant-mens

Lots of other options available and the 2nd hand sports stores are worth a visit.

Military soft shells tops and bottoms, as long as you are ok with desert digicam pattern. Pants with suspenders $25, full zippered top $24.

I've been really happy with endura rain pants with baselayer long jons.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Thermal bibs or tights are key. I just wish my bibs were full length instead of "knickers" that go past the knee. But they were cheap. I pretty much only wear those when it's really cold, under tights or softshell pants. Normally i just go with tights over regular bib shorts.

If it’s dry, I’ll use a thermal tights like these.
    https://www.amazon.com/4ucycling-Uni...ouL&ref=plSrch

If it’s moist, I wear Gore tex shell pants. They’re pricey, but very versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    If it’s dry, I’ll use a thermal tights like these.
    https://www.amazon.com/4ucycling-Uni...ouL&ref=plSrch

If it’s moist, I wear Gore tex shell pants. They’re pricey, but very versatile.
    wtf is with the sizing on those? wacky.

I use swix cc pants and I also have a pair of gtex pants if it's wet, but hardly ever need those.

$140, but I've found these to be perfect for cold gravel rides and fat bike rides. Bonus is that I've folded up the lower legs and used them under ski pants on below zero ski days.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/th...=232890-157098

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Very cheap options: Costco soft shell pants (I think they're narrow enough at the ankle to stay out of sprockets, but seams may be a little thick)
    These?
    https://www.costco.com/BC-Clothing-M...100414298.html

Do you own them - and if so, do they have any water resistance?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yes and yes. I don't know how long it will last, but with a wash or two in them water beads and runs off. I'm hoping they do as well as Costco's "travel" pants which were still 100% salsa-repellant after a few dozen washes. If not, $20.

Only downside is the waistband is too big--at least on the 32 I bought the waistband is 2" too big and kinda stiff so a belt doesn't work great. OTOH, the legs fit so well I'm actually contemplating having them taken in--if I can get past making $20 pants into $50 pants. Probably worth it. Might be moot in larger waist sizes?

I run the Endura waterproof trousers (Pants), with zip vents (open on climbs, closed on descents). Waterproof. I layer under depending on the temps. Padded cycling shorts if it's 25F, padded cycling long lycra if it's <25F. I do similar layering up top. There are $25 Chinese long pants on Amzn which have 5 star reviews. too.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Very cheap options: Costco soft shell pants (I think they're narrow enough at the ankle to stay out of sprockets, but seams may be a little thick) or cheap/on sale running tights. I have a couple pairs of thermal Hind tights with wind proof panels on the front that work great along with bike shorts of whatever type. Polyester is water resistant, so whatever is cheap works pretty well. I think I paid 10-15 for these.

Thanks for that heads up Jono, I just received a pair I ordered. For 20 bucks they are a bargain. I might use them for snowbiking, I will use them for field work during the winter, way better than Carhartts for tromping around job sites.

The Costco review page warned that the waist runs a size large so I ordered 30x32s (normally I wear 32x32s) and they fit perfect.

Good to hear. I didn't really plan to get terribly athletic in them myself, so anything beyond staying unfrozen around town seems like a bonus.

How are the legs in the 30x32? Enough room for actual biker/skier legs I take it?

Dunno, I have skinny little turkey legs so they seem fine.

I bought some at the store, but they only had short lengths in stock. I ordered four pair online (same price as in store - $19.99 - and free shipping, return at the store), and they arrived today.

The sizing is kind of inconsistent. The 34x34 were snug fitting through the legs. The 34x32 fit looser (and better IMHO), and were still long enough in the inseam. They're a keeper for $20.

Thanks for the heads up on these. If anyone is interested, I recommend ordering a couple sizes and lengths so you can see what fits you best.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    wtf is with the sizing on those? wacky.

I use swix cc pants and I also have a pair of gtex pants if it's wet, but hardly ever need those.
    They are Asian market sizing being sold by an Asian vendor and fulfilled by Amazon. They typically list actual height/weight or conversion to American sizing when selling on Amazon USA. They don't look windproof at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    They are Asian market sizing being sold by an Asian vendor and fulfilled by Amazon. They typically list actual height/weight or conversion to American sizing when selling on Amazon USA. They don't look windproof at all.
    https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Windpr...VXT6DV58PGV2P9
    Got these coming tomorrow, sizing seemed easier to figure out than the other Asian pants. Free returns if they don't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by snowday View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Windpr...VXT6DV58PGV2P9
    Got these coming tomorrow, sizing seemed easier to figure out than the other Asian pants. Free returns if they don't work out.
    Looking at getting something like these for gravel rides and winter mtb rides (versus bibs). In Oregon I get a few days below 30 but mostly it's rain and 40s. If it's really pouring I would throw a rain pants shell over. The other issue is fit - I'm lanky 6'3" and 170lbs so need the length without a baggy waist. Any suggestions?

Took the Costco pants out for a spin yesterday. We are in the grip of High Pressure so it was summer bikes in winter conditions. Trails frozen and either dry or crunchy snow covered. Temps 23-35 F. I wore spandex shorts with a pair of Patagonia mid weight cap. over. Stayed warm, didn't overheat much on my lower 1/2.

All in all pretty happy with the purchase and they should work well for fat biking. The fit is strange but since I am but kind of strange for me they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Looking at getting something like these for gravel rides and winter mtb rides (versus bibs). In Oregon I get a few days below 30 but mostly it's rain and 40s. If it's really pouring I would throw a rain pants shell over. The other issue is fit - I'm lanky 6'3" and 170lbs so need the length without a baggy waist. Any suggestions?
    Got out today for a mtb ride in these pants. 24* and little wind, Wore summer bibs for the pad underneath and never got cold. Felt sweaty after sitting in the car after riding though.

I ordered a medium but at hobbit dimensions, 5'6 and 160, probably should have gone with smalls. These are not really baggy but not road tight. Never had too worry about getting pants caught in the crank or anything. These have a drawstring waist and that was nice to cinch up the waist. For $26 and free returns I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Mine came last night. Fit seems to be on pair...the waist is a bit bigger than the 32 but, I'll take it. Wearing some thermals under them this weekend but I am sure it will be fine. Curious about whether or not the cuff is going to interfere as there seems to be a bit extra by the ankles. For $16, they'll do nicely.