Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    There's been a couple storms this year that I've thought about heading up to Magic for. But I backed out b/c of the drive. A common problem for me is that it's raining here...around I287, it's sleet...around 87, it's ice...then, finally around Platty, it's finally snow. That 100mi stretch can be treacherous and add about 2hrs to the 7ish hr commute.
    7-9 hrs each way to ski Magic? Wouldn't you be better just taking a vacation out west each season?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    7-9 hrs each way to ski Magic? Wouldn't you be better just taking a vacation out west each season?
    You, sir, are nothing if not astute!

But...I can do a couple of Fri-Mon/season in between...no?
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

It has been pretty epic in the Mount Washington Valley,NH and Maine other than that mid season brief warm up/bulletproof which was fixed by the next storm. I can't remember the snowbanks this high in some time in the MWV area, like tunnels the roads are. Yet another pow day at Wildcat yesterday. The woods are unreal. You live in NYC - what u expect..?

https://www.facebook.com/WildcatMoun...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Since you're the breadwinner, is there a reason you can't win bread in Utah? Why'd you go back if you are so unhappy with being there?
    #wifeproblems

Ding ding. Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    It has been pretty epic in the Mount Washington Valley,NH and Maine other than that mid season brief warm up/bulletproof which was fixed by the next storm. I can't remember the snowbanks this high in some time in the MWV area, like tunnels the roads are. Yet another pow day at Wildcat yesterday. The woods are unreal. You live in NYC - what u expect..?

https://www.facebook.com/WildcatMoun...type=3&theater
    We looked hard in Littleton and surrounding areas before moving west 12 years ago. Beautiful, but the job market wasnt great for me. Sure land a job, but not many prospects if you didn't like that one. Utah was a good choice, both career wise and lifestyle. My wife just never clicked with it out there. My family (sis and parents are now less than 3 min away. Wife's dad is in Florida. Easy flights compared to Utah now. The support with the kids has been great, the rest not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Thincover hasn’t had a problem finding knee to waist deep shots this year based on his instagram account. YMMV. You definitely won’t find it from your couch though.

I used to average 10-25 days on powder skis back east. The idea that you don’t need powder skis until you head west is ludicrous.
    Oh, I should have qualified that. I have "powder" skis for the East. But, they really aren't "powder" skis, you know? Let's call them Eastern tree skis that have decent width underfoot, and can handle ice groomers and crud getting back to the lift.

Edit: So that's what happened to Thincover? He's an Instagram look at me influencer doing photo shoots in rare powder stashes in Vermont? No thanks. Sounds pointless, unless it's profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    You, sir, are nothing if not astute!

But...I can do a couple of Fri-Mon/season in between...no?
    Sure.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

It sounds like skiing the East isn't for lazy folks living in Southern New England with first world problems complaining about it on the internet. Did I miss anything?

There's a Domino's in Troy.

That Friday night trip thru Troy is a great reminder that things can be a lot worse than being in the car for 3-4 hrs to go skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    It sounds like skiing the East isn't for lazy folks living in Southern New England with first world problems complaining about it on the internet. Did I miss anything?
    Call me lazy, call me whatever you want. It's hard for me, personally, to go from 14.5miles to altas parking lot for 12 years, to being excited to drive to ski for 1hrish, minimum, to ski what will likely be marginal conditions unless I happen to hit it right.

I'm sure I'll come around. Skiing has been a better part of my life for 40 years. I'm just struggling with more than just not skiing right now. Change ain't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Call me lazy, call me whatever you want. It's hard for me, personally, to go from 14.5miles to altas parking lot for 12 years, to being excited to drive to ski for 1hrish, minimum, to ski what will likely be marginal conditions unless I happen to hit it right.

I'm sure I'll come around. Skiing has been a better part of my life for 40 years. I'm just struggling with more than just not skiing right now. Change ain't easy.
    Maybe get the wife to agree to a "mental-health weekend" every year? You know - one of those 5-day long weekends where you fly into SLC and hit up the goods. Seems like a small compromise on her part.

You probably should have negotiated this PRIOR to moving to God-forsaken NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

That does sound hard... good luck.

Ya'll should just throw in the towel and take up bowling.

That Friday night trip thru Troy is a great reminder that things can be a lot worse than being in the car for 3-4 hrs to go skiing.
    My cousin lives in Troy. She is very unhappy most of the time.

Bennington isn't much better.

There is no one perfect place,everyone would be there. Everything is a tradeoff. There is so many other things that are better where you live now than SLC.

Ted's, that's all you need to know about Troy. Anything after that stop is just pure bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    There is no one perfect place,everyone would be there. Everything is a tradeoff. There is so many other things that are better where you live now than SLC.
    I grew up in NJ. I know the benefits, but Utah has some benefits I appreciate aside from skiing. Open spaces are one of them. Being able to drive my truck off into the desert and just camp basically wherever, or pickup and go backpacking 1.5 hr drive away and not really see another person will be missed. There is some of that here, but not as diverse or easily accessed. I also hate black flies so...Utah was good there too 😀

Trips were negotiated before hand but new job and limited time off/funds makes things difficult there too. I am by no means rich. Debt free 100% now, but far from rich.

Just difficult to transition for me. Having regret. Left a good home and good job market to be closer to family and attempt to please the better half. Hoping it was the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Bennington isn't much better.
    whoa, Nellie. My dad is from Bennington. The Whitman name is strong there. and yeah, Peyton Place for sure
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    whoa, Nellie. My dad is from Bennington. The Whitman name is strong there. and yeah, Peyton Place for sure
    Like the Feed Store?

First time I stopped in Troy, someone said, “why’d you do that? We don’t call it ‘Troylet’ for nothing!”

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

There's more to life than skiing....

wait...right?

Goshen fucking NY... that is rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on now. New York is OK, including Goshen and Troy. Yes, VT is better.
    If you like skiing, you’ll like Plattekill... or Hunter if that’s your thing. And a little further away, there are lots more good options. Even the night skiing in Warwick (or, shudder, Vernon, NJ) doesn’t suck. And next time you’re on Hoosick St, try Teds Fish Fry.