Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

So Done With the East Coast

I’m done skiing in the East. It simply isn’t worth it. Too many things can go wrong and often do. What’s more, I don’t think the resorts have the ability to properly manage the mountain and terrain.

Yeah, I get it, it’s the east coast: Less snow, less verticle, less acerage, smaller mountain, lower elevation, more wind, more rain, etc... combine all that together and you’re lucky to get any good skiing done.

However, what really gets me, what fucking ruins it for me, is that even still the resorts can’t manage to keep half of the trails open.

I was at Stratton two days ago. I checked their website and twitter to make sure trails/lifts were open. Once I arrived, only one lift open and it only goes to mid-mountain. It was the only one open all day, due to wind, but Stratton didn’t mention it on their website. (Wasn’t windy at all in the afternoon... still no lifts.

Also, once I got to the top, literally all but 2 or 3 trails were closed. Why? No fucking reason. But good on them for updating their website at 3pm to inform would be skiers that all but one lift was closed.

Thats just insulting... and I’m sure it’s done intentionally to get people to the mountain in the hopes that they’ll just stay cause they’ve already traveled so far.

Now I’m at Sugarloaf in Maine, in the middle of nowhere. Absolutey nothing to eat here. Drove 8 hours from NYC to get here. All the lifts are running, but whats the point when literally half of the trails are closed! All of the glades were closed (600 acers closed!). Thats the whole reason I came here.

So I say no problem, not gonna let it ruin my day, I’ll just hit the groomers... well thats not happening. Everywhere I went closed, closed, closed. Sure, plent of Green open, and some blues too. Not so much Black and double black though. Like every trail I wanted to ski was closed.

East coast mountains are the smallest in the country in acerage. So how can they have so many closed trails? It’s ridiculous. This isn’t just a Stratton and Sugarloaf issue either. Last season same story at Gore, Whiteface, Sugarbush. It happens all the time. In fact, it’s the norm. They always have some bullshit excuse too.

So why am I supporting them with my business?

What I don’t understand is how people can be so complacent. Lift tickets and gear coast a fortune. Not to mention, being stuck in some tiny town with nothing decent to eat.

If East Coast resorts can’t even keep half their trails open what are they even good for?

I won’t be wasting any more of my money here. I’ll just fly out West.

The crazy things is that when you do the math, it’s only a couple hundred dollars more to fly from NYC to Denver, Salt Lake City, Reno, or Seattle, than it is to rent a car and drive 6-8 hours up to Vermont, or Maine.

Timing is everything...

Poignant Post Jong!

Figure out how to watch forecasts and current weather conditions and avoid driving 8 hrs for rained on refrozen snow.

Go for it and fly away!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

you will feel a lot better after posting titty pics of your wife here

Cool man, try this sweet website next time: www.weather.gov

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Amazingly jongish post. Dude, I feel your pain, but, for fucks sake, it rained two inches on Friday. I mean, do you have a weather app on your phone?

Ski what you got close to home and enjoy it, stay home, or go ski somewhere else. Regardless, there's no crying in skiing!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Did you read my post?

Like I said, this is the norm. Last year was the same. Did about 25 days in the East. Constant trail closures.

Also, wtf does weather have to do with trail closures? Lift closures, sure. Trail closures?

Why is one closed and the two right next to it open dispite smae coverage?

Yeah, yeah its my fault for wanting to ski. Forgot. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Amazingly jongish post. Dude, I feel your pain, but, for fucks sake, it rained two inches on Friday. I mean, do you have a weather app on your phone?
    Did you read my post? Try again. The whole thing!

Don’t need another apologist for the resorts.

Dude. Just.....

Eh. Merry Xmas. You'll learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Poignant Post Jong!

Figure out how to watch forecasts and current weather conditions and avoid driving 8 hrs for rained on refrozen snow.

Go for it and fly away!
    Maybe you should learn to read my whole post. It wasn’t about the weather. It’s about east coast resorts inability to jeep their trails open.

Just what we need, another apologist for the resorts incompetence.

And wtf is Jong? Dont get the reference cause I’m new here.

Are you drinking right now?

You sound angry.

Yeah, fly to Denver and sit in traffic for 15 hours, great fucking plan jong.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Cool man, try this sweet website next time: www.weather.gov

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Try reading my post again dufus. It’s not about weather, but resorts. I can ski in ice terrain all day, not preferable, but I do it.

Cant complain about the weather, out of anyone’s control.

You sound angry.
    Nah, bro. Ain’t no bars around here. I’m in the boonies.

You sound angry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Yeah, fly to Denver and sit in traffic for 15 hours, great fucking plan jong.
    I’m starting to like this Jong guy. Sounds like the only with any fucking sense around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseBrooklyn View Post
    Nah, bro. Ain’t no bars around here. I’m in the boonies.
    No, if you're at Sugarloaf, there's a really good bar in that Lodge at the base I stayed at last year. Awesome food, too. Drown your sorrows there. Or, drink alone.

And wtf is Jong? Dont get the reference cause I’m new here.
    Look it up Jong.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

You sound angry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Look it up Jong.
    Got it now. Kinda Funny. Don’t care.

Weather got nothing to do with why the Greens can be open but not the Blacks.

bro it's christmas

make the best of things your not in nyc
    I'd invite you to colorado but this place sucks dick, ever stand in line for an hr to get on a lift or take five hours to drive somewhere that should only take one hr?

I have an extra bedroom I could rent out but I'm saving it for benny when he comes out here in a couple weeks
    just so he can see what it's like to be a real local

Did you read my post?

Like I said, this is the norm. Last year was the same. Did about 25 days in the East. Constant trail closures.

Also, wtf does weather have to do with trail closures? Lift closures, sure. Trail closures?

Why is one closed and the two right next to it open dispite smae coverage?

Yeah, yeah its my fault for wanting to ski. Forgot. My bad.
    When there's a couple inches of ice they only open trails that they were able to pound down to skiable chunks. Odds are the trails that are closed, though they may look skiable from the lift or edges probably have sections of solid blue ice not yet groomed down to at least cookies. If you've ever seen what happens to people, or yourself experienced what happens when you come over a knoll to solid sleet produced ice in a place where turning isn't optional you'd know why..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Jong post of the year and just under the wire

Approaching troll level. Maybe passed.

You sound angry.
    No, if you're at Sugarloaf, there's a really good bar in that Lodge at the base I stayed at last year. Awesome food, too. Drown your sorrows there. Or, drink alone.
    Yeah, was there today for food (not drinks).

Since it’s Christmas Eve, I’ll be charitable and simply say that it’s not my type of food. To each his own.

You sound angry.
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    When there's a couple inches of ice they only open trails that they were able to pound down to skiable chunks. Odds are the trails that are closed, though they may look skiable from the lift or edges probably have sections if solid blue ice not yet groomed down to at least cookies. If you've ever seen what happens to people, or yourself experienced what happens when you come over a knoll to solid sleet produced ice in a place where turning isn't optional you'd know why..

Yeah, ice aint no fun, but when its all you got it all you got.

Big Jong