Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: So Done With the East Coast

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    That's probably one of the NEW Tipsy Elves onsies. They've been putting out new fart bags for the past couple seasons. Most of the old ones didn't have hoods.
    This was not an ironic tipsy elves. it was a full blown euro brand fart bag.

This song goes out to all the lamenters

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    This was not an ironic tipsy elves. it was a full blown euro brand fart bag.
    I’m not sure it matters. Someone who drops $200+ on a new “ironic” onesie should still be heckled.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Jesus....where the hell is AlpineZone Greg??
    Even Greg can't put a positive spin on this years East Coast conditions...0F, snow, rain, 60F, gale force wind, repeat.

Skidog, unfortunately you moved back in a bad year. Probably made all the worse by where you came from is cranking out the snow.

On the flip side you won't be too far from Legoland.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    That's how he got in this situation unfortunately. He loves the one he's with.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I’m not sure it matters. Someone who drops $200+ on a new “ironic” onesie should still be heckled.
    Exactly, one of the klowns renting across the road was sporting some odd American flag onesie last weekend. Missed getting a pic. but will be watching for him this weekend.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Jesus....where the hell is AlpineZone Greg??
    Skiing somewhere in Colorado. Probably Vail.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Even Greg can't put a positive spin on this years East Coast conditions...0F, snow, rain, 60F, gale force wind, repeat.

Skidog, unfortunately you moved back in a bad year. Probably made all the worse by where you came from is cranking out the snow.

On the flip side you won't be too far from Legoland.
    Lots of good Wednesday and Thursday ski sessions this year. Sorry you weren’t here to enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

I've seen black diamonds! and waistdeepgroomers with the excellent takes

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I'm skiing with some great folks out here too, but thanks for your concern. I do think I communicate more naturally with the sarcastic masshole, the NYC cynic and the VT hippy (as well as all their cousins from neighboring States) than I do with the Colorado bro. I'm still learning. I've acquired a CAIC trucker hat, which seems to make some people think I'm pretty legit.

First, I wasn't responding directly to you, but to the despondent East coast skier in general.

Second, you should try very hard to make it to Ullrfest in VT next fall. It's not only a great party with great food, I recon it will get you on the road back toward seeing the beauty in East coast skiing. Showing up to Ullrfest 8 or 9 years ago knowing exactly no one is one of the best decisions I even made. Before that I had friends I skied with, but very few who loved it the way I do. Even though I love a solo ski tour, people matter more than mountains in making skiing joyful day after day.

Third, sorry the move isn't going as well as you might have hoped. If you're ever in the Front Range and looking to get out skiing drop me a line. You too Benny. I'll share with you my thesis on how Derek Jeter and John Lennon belong on the Mount Rushmore of "great-but-overrated celebrities." You'll love it.
    Yeah, nice, but you didn't answer my question. Why did you move out west?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Lots of good Wednesday and Thursday ski sessions this year. Sorry you weren’t here to enjoy them.
    Wed is Benny's day and Thurs I have obligations.

Nothing like a good powder Wednesday.

This winter has been exceptional for me. Until this last round, natural snow conditions have recovered quickly and there has been great base for off piste everywhere since Thanksgiving.

If I moved back to that area I wouldn't ski. Too much investment in time, energy, and fossil fuels. Biking, fishing, climbing, access to NYC and the ocean and fantastic JiuJitsu schools would be a no-brainer. If you can't get into what's in your backyard and have that be enough for your sanity, then a renegotiation would be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

That is nonsense -I have had more great days than I can count, starting in November. You have to read the conditions and upcoming weather know when to go and when to avoid...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    damn I have been confusing you two for a while, doing a grievous disservice to one of you...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    If you can't get into what's in your backyard and have that be enough for your sanity, then a renegotiation would be in order.
    Our definitions of "back yard" vary greatly! For me it's a day trip. I live 2.5 hours from fantastic beaches and .5 hours from decent lakes. 2-3 day trips to the coast, maybe one overnighter are well worth the effort. Same goes for NC and VA skiing. For me, mid atlantic and east coast skiing are quite a bit better than the midwest skiing I grew up with so that's also a no brainer to take advantage of. Yes, I've been on more than one trip to Rocky Mountain skiing, but not regularly. Yes, that powder skiing above the tree line is simply a totally different experience and also worth the effort.

Here's a fun fact. Folks in Denver can spend as much time stuck in I-70 traffic as it takes me to drive home from Boone. Should they not bother when the "back yard" is a major clusterfuck on a routine basis?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    best food break... just W of Hoosick
    Attachment 271458
    Attachment 271459

Man from Kent

no antacids required - just mustard
    I heard Jonathan Goldsmith aka the most interesting man in the world, lives up the road and hangs out there, plays on the golf team. Stay Steezy my friends !
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Has a place in Dorset, VT.

Name:  IMG_2696.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  29.7 KB

Wow, Boone. We're aiming lower and lower in this thread. Who's going to talk up that hill in Jersey next?

His mom has a tattoo that reads "son"...

Some of the best commercials...wonder if he complains about living on the east coast.

Didnt they host an Olympic qualifier on that NJ hill?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Our definitions of "back yard" vary greatly! For me it's a day trip. I live 2.5 hours from fantastic beaches and .5 hours from decent lakes. 2-3 day trips to the coast, maybe one overnighter are well worth the effort. Same goes for NC and VA skiing. For me, mid atlantic and east coast skiing are quite a bit better than the midwest skiing I grew up with so that's also a no brainer to take advantage of. Yes, I've been on more than one trip to Rocky Mountain skiing, but not regularly. Yes, that powder skiing above the tree line is simply a totally different experience and also worth the effort.

Here's a fun fact. Folks in Denver can spend as much time stuck in I-70 traffic as it takes me to drive home from Boone. Should they not bother when the "back yard" is a major clusterfuck on a routine basis?
    That's for the individual to decide. I get that 8 hours in a car isn't worth what would be a great weekend at a resort. Some folks do that for a long day trip. It's clear skidog doesn't think it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    That is nonsense -I have had more great days than I can count, starting in November. You have to read the conditions and upcoming weather know when to go and when to avoid...
    In agreement with this, but it depends on what your skiing habits and desires are. If you are a passholder and want to ski every weekend or more the EC conditions have certainly had their challenges. But can’t the same be said of anywhere? I just spent an incredible three days of skiing at Alpental and the Snoqualmie backcountry where it was nothing but soft snow and aggressive lines in deep powder, both inbounds and out.....but up until a couple of weeks ago the locals I met and skied with said the conditions there haven’t really been great there either.

Between work, family, etc. I’m a pick your spots kind of skier who gets less days than I’d like, but all the EC days I’ve had so far have been stellar, including a couple of powder Wednesday’s at Magic, an 18” dump at Whiteface, and a couple days at Gore with leftovers and all woods in play. I’m not far from Goshen at yeah, it may take some work and almost two the three hours one way to get the goods, but there is lot of good stuff out there, even so far this season. Haven’t even gotten to Platty yet, I’m sure there are a few ADK backcountry days in the future, Tucks come spring. I’m sure it’s tough to go from great Western skiing in your back yard to that, but there is much fun to be had here in the east. Hang in there!

You know what's funny? The British. For many years, they have been coming to Killington from about mid February into March in groups. Weird, huh? (Lately I've been thinking our mother nation is a tad senile) They could easily go to hundreds of places in Europe. Hell, airfare over there is really cheap, and, even if they're flight phobic, they could take a train. Or, why not just take an extra sleeping pill and fly to Denver? But, they like Killington. Strange. Maybe the bad food agrees with them.