Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    $350 round trip jfk to geneva.... no need to gas up yer jets

Attachment 271317

Really, if flying out west is something you already do, flying east is not any more difficult. Especially if you’re starting from the east coast already.
    Flying to Euroland is such a chore, but after my PHL to SEA and drive to Crystal, that doesn't look too bad...and it's just over $100 cheaper.

But seriously, I love skiing, but seeing everyone get after it day after day, week after week and I'm 2.5hrs from...the Poconos...I sometimes wonder if I should just stick to MTB.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Don’t let the FOMO ruin you.

Stick with it.

Attachment 271317

Really, if flying out west is something you already do, flying east is not any more difficult. Especially if you’re starting from the east coast already.
    350 for a round trip with almost 43 hours of travel time?? Yea no thanks

learn to ski ice. learn to love ice.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    much easier to sit around and complain even though the stake is at 100”. agreed.
    Its simply not worth it to me despite the "snow stake". That stake doesnt tell the full story. Depth isnt the measure of how good the skiing is. As mentioned we've had quite a few rain freeze events this year on the east coast and that just drags the life right out of my desire to go ski on the east coast. If I had a resort 30 min from me well it would be a different story. Even owing a condo in VT I have zero desire to go. 3 hr drive (one way) to ski hard snow with 8 bajillion NYCers is not my idea of a good weekend.

Now Im hearing that the shitshow in LCC isnt great this year, but at least they dont suffer from rain/freeze issues mid season. I miss Utah...i know ill get over it, with time, but right now it sucks and im feeling it mentally in everyday life.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeLunker View Post
    I grew up skiing/learning on ice. Having spent the last 12 years skiing in Utah, well im fucking spoiled...no question about it...call me a princess if you'd like, but im hardly the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    ...call me a princess if you'd like, but im hardly the only one.
    As long as we're bitching....I will say: it's so goddamn cold here. It seems that Rockies "cold" isn't the same at E.C. cold. Out there, it's a "dry cold."

Thincover hasn’t had a problem finding knee to waist deep shots this year based on his instagram account. YMMV. You definitely won’t find it from your couch though.

I used to average 10-25 days on powder skis back east. The idea that you don’t need powder skis until you head west is ludicrous.

Think I'll leave this right here..

Trash Bag Ski Day Scout Troop FTW!

FWIW, I skied until 9pm in that soup. Stopped raining and turned to thick fog around 7. Granted, we did have 4 of the troop suddenly drop out Friday due to sudden onset of flu like symptoms. The ten of us who stuck to the plan and spent the weekend up in WV had a freaking blast. And, it was POURING for the first couple hours Saturday morning.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    As long as we're bitching....I will say: it's so goddamn cold here. It seems that Rockies "cold" isn't the same at E.C. cold. Out there, it's a "dry cold."
    Without a doubt. minus 10 in Utah felt like heaven compared to even a 20 degree day here. The bone chilling humidity is the worst. No doubt it got cold a few times in Utah, but nothing like the Northeast. I knew that part as I grew up here, just cant see myself skiing in it anymore.

Its simply not worth it to me despite the "snow stake". That stake doesnt tell the full story. Depth isnt the measure of how good the skiing is. As mentioned we've had quite a few rain freeze events this year on the east coast and that just drags the life right out of my desire to go ski on the east coast. If I had a resort 30 min from me well it would be a different story. Even owing a condo in VT I have zero desire to go. 3 hr drive (one way) to ski hard snow with 8 bajillion NYCers is not my idea of a good weekend.

Now Im hearing that the shitshow in LCC isnt great this year, but at least they dont suffer from rain/freeze issues mid season. I miss Utah...i know ill get over it, with time, but right now it sucks and im feeling it mentally in everyday life.
    no, you are actually making a really strong case to abandon your family rather than just ski midweek like i’ve been doing.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Thincover hasn’t had a problem finding knee to waist deep shots this year based on his instagram account. YMMV. You definitely won’t find it from your couch though.

I used to average 10-25 days on powder skis back east. The idea that you don’t need powder skis until you head west is ludicrous.
    He 1) lives a lot closer to the goods 2) seems most if not all those insta posts are BC skiing. Its not likely that im driving 3+ hours to tour in hopes I find a few good deep days. Ive really not bitched about it a lot at all, this is kinda a bitching about it thread though.

I know the east coast gets powder..im not asleep, you just have to be a bit closer to it when it happens here in the Northeast and I wont be near it enough ever likely.

no, you are actually making a really strong case to abandon your family rather than just ski midweek like i’ve been doing.
    Ok I am the sole breadwinner in my family. I live in Goshen NY. Skiing "midweek" just isnt realistic. Im also not going to waste my entire vacation time to ski midweek, alone. Id like to go on a vacation with my actual family. I want to enjoy my ski time, driving 3 hours to ski marginal conditions (most days), just isnt enjoyable to me. YMMV and im not saying anyone should give up skiing the east coast if thats what they want to do.

And yeah if I didnt have a family that I love, id still be in Utah no question. The move hasnt been easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That's very 1% of you, telling someone to buy a season pass to an area in another continent. I'll see if my jet lease can get me to Geneva.
    That’s silly. Shop around and you can get flights from the east coast to Zurich or Geneva or Munich for $400.

plattekill had 8” this morning and it was supposed to snow all day so.....
    Dust on crust.

Attachment 271317

There you go. Basically an entire day of travel. Let's not forget customs and bag check and finding your transport or renting a car and then a minimum of 2 hours to your hotel. And then the same shit back. Hope you don't lose a connection due to winter weather.

And I'm getting nailed 250 for my ski bag. Maybe TAP doesn't do that, but, they will, sooner or later.

Hotels are pretty pricey Iver there, too, but at least they feed you well.

Goshen NY.
    You're about 30 min from a lift

1.5hrs to the catskills

When I moved back east it was quite an adjustment but I eventually rediscovered the joy of sliding on snow.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeLunker View Post
    I try. But, you know, I try to like fat chicks, too. In the end, not satisfying.

Ok I am the sole breadwinner in my family. I live in Goshen NY. Skiing "midweek" just isnt realistic. Im also not going to waste my entire vacation time to ski midweek, alone. Id like to go on a vacation with my actual family. I want to enjoy my ski time, driving 3 hours to ski marginal conditions (most days), just isnt enjoyable to me. YMMV and im not saying anyone should give up skiing the east coast if thats what they want to do.

And yeah if I didnt have a family that I love, id still be in Utah no question. The move hasnt been easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	567C0AA0-1508-4C71-B9C4-542CFF44EA5F.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	271335

1hr 54 min to plattekill...

...Its not likely that im driving 3+ hours to tour in hopes I find a few good deep days....I know the east coast gets powder..im not asleep, you just have to be a bit closer to it when it happens here in the Northeast...
    There's been a couple storms this year that I've thought about heading up to Magic for. But I backed out b/c of the drive. A common problem for me is that it's raining here...around I287, it's sleet...around 87, it's ice...then, finally around Platty, it's finally snow. That 100mi stretch can be treacherous and add about 2hrs to the 7ish hr commute.

Trust your instincts, stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    No one cares you hate the East.
    can we get this done as stickers?

Since you're the breadwinner, is there a reason you can't win bread in Utah? Why'd you go back if you are so unhappy with being there?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	567C0AA0-1508-4C71-B9C4-542CFF44EA5F.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	271335

1hr 54 min to plattekill...
    Dont bother. They dont have any high speed quads and you cant get sushi for lunch.

That drive is a bitch....I live off of 84 in PA.....and we have a couple different ways we can get up there.....and they all suck.