PSA -do your core work

I have been doing a short core workout for about 2 months now, and it’s the best thing I have done for my body in years.

In a past life I was a regular at the gym, but more recently I do my outdoor activities and go to work (construction) to “stay in shape.” I suffered a grievous injury to my core ~12 years ago, and it took a few years to truly start feeling normal again, and stop constantly reinjuring myself.

The point being, a few minutes a day and I feel so much better, my back is doing great and so much more resistant to getting tweaked.

Yes, I am middle aged, and everybody knows they should work on their core, this is just a reminder to y’all!

And yes, I put it in tech talk. This shit is going to help your skiing as much as any tech if you need it. Plus I wasn’t really sure where to put it. Move it if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    The point being, a few minutes a day and I feel so much better, my back is doing great and so much more resistant to getting tweaked.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    I have been doing a short core workout for about 2 months now, and it’s the best thing I have done for my body in years.

In a past life I was a regular at the gym, but more recently I do my outdoor activities and go to work (construction) to “stay in shape.” I suffered a grievous injury to my core ~12 years ago, and it took a few years to truly start feeling normal again, and stop constantly reinjuring myself.

Yes, I am middle aged, and everybody knows they should work on their core, this is just a reminder to y’all!

And yes, I put it in tech talk. This shit is going to help your skiing as much as any tech if you need it. Plus I wasn’t really sure where to put it. Move it if you like.
    I'm needing to start a good core workout. Can you post yours up?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Crunches, about 100 a day and planks 3x1 minute is a good start

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

https://www.health.com/health/galler...580125,00.html

I couldn’t come close to completing it at first. I just did what I could and worked up to it. Hope it helps!

I really need a captivating core workout. After I broke my vertebrae my core is like a noodle. I'm just bad at exercising if it isn't in a fun way.

Crunches and iso ab work are ok at the end of a workout if you feel like you need some extra, but I find the best workout I get my abs and entire core on are stiff leg deadlifts and trx pushups, with handles as close to ground as your strength will allow, with plank at the top in between pushups (front squats are also great to activate your entire core).

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Deadlifts, front and back squats, overhead press. These movements work strengthen your trunk greatly when performed correctly. If your abs aren't somewhat sore from lifting heavy, then you aren't promoting intra abdominal pressure correctly

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bdog325 View Post
    Deadlifts, front and back squats, overhead press. These movements work strengthen your trunk greatly when performed correctly. If your abs aren't somewhat sore from lifting heavy, then you aren't promoting intra abdominal pressure correctly

Agreed, although I don't think you even need to lift all that heavy with those movements as long as you are activating your core properly you'll feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8rat6587 View Post
    Agreed, although I don't think you even need to lift all that heavy with those movements as long as you are activating your core properly you'll feel it.

Definitely. I'd say for anyone looking into it to learn the movements correctly and get on a simple program like 5x5 or 5/3/1. The biggest mistake I see people make in the gym is having horrible form and no program to follow which leads to injury and no gains.

Instead of asking a bunch of fucking dentists try taking a core class
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A lot of people focus on the frontal and sagittal planes(forward-backward,side to side) but neglect(eh, maybe neglect isn't the right word, they're just not aware of it) the tranverse plane of motion(rotational). IME and line of work, ems, this is where I see most injuries occuring. Feet more or less planted and rotating while the body is under load. Russian twists, Turkish getups, shit like this https://www.instagram.com/p/BoSo5guD...ns_share_sheet
    It's an incredible feeling having a solid core, even more so when that 3rd plane of motion is getting smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambledbacon View Post
    A lot of people focus on the frontal and sagittal planes(forward-backward,side to side) but neglect(eh, maybe neglect isn't the right word, they're just not aware of it) the tranverse plane of motion(rotational). IME and line of work, ems, this is where I see most injuries occuring. Feet more or less planted and rotating while the body is under load. Russian twists, Turkish getups, shit like this https://www.instagram.com/p/BoSo5guD...ns_share_sheet
    It's an incredible feeling having a solid core, even more so when that 3rd plane of motion is getting smoked.
    Word. And that insta is gnarly.

^yeah, ret SGM Pat McNamara is from another dimension. I'm always looking for new posts from him.

Addendum.
    In case i wasn't clear, the injuries i was speaking of were incurred by colleagues.(Granted ems is way up there with regards to being obese, lazy fucks. Kinda sad, really.)
    Part of what Pat Mac alludes to is working the minor muscle groups to have an optimum "combat chassis".
    The cinder block swings ideally would ideally be replicated with a kettlebell. Even then, i had to start with a 8kg bell. And i normally play with a 28kg one. Start way low with weight. And even then I would recommend getting it down right with a trainer. I can do the block now, but it wrecks you.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambledbacon View Post
    Dang. It's been at least a good year or two since I've done a Turkish getup. That is a good point you have to train that 3rd plane. Never really thought about that...

Shoveling snow works the third dimension, right?

At the end of rehab for acl reconstruction surgery my pt got me into some classic acl excersises combined with bands and core excersises. Awesome stuff. Don't need much weight just good form. Try a side lying hip extension plank with band around knees. If you can hold it for more than 30 seconds your in unreal shape.

^^ definitely not the guy you wanna talk shit to in a bar

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Shoveling snow works the third dimension, right?
    Only if you're a switch hitter.