Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Analysis Paralysis: Sunrace 11-46 or 11-50?!

I'm going back and forth on this so figured I'd ask for some sage advice from the collective. This winter I'm converting my fatbike to 1x10 by moving a number of parts from my trail bike including the shifter, derailleur, and 11-46 sunrace cassette. In the process, I'll be upgrading the trail bike to 1x11 and am trying to decide on which cassette. The brief history:

In 2017 I moved to the bleeding edge "1x10" and went with an 11-42 cassette. I lost a low gear and had to work harder on climbs. I'm also not sure it was great for my knees, but it worked. In 2018, I replaced the 11-42 with an 11-46 and my knees were happier, the 32x46 granny being sufficient for the majority of my riding.

Now, looking forward to 2019 and moving to 1x11 I have the option of staying with 11-46 (464g) and having slightly tighter gearing than the 1x10 from last year or giving myself more low end by going to an 11-50 (512g). Right now, sunrace seems to have the best value of cost to gear ratio. They are heavy on the bike but light(er) on the wallet. The gear ratios are below (It calls out the CSMX8, but I would be buying the not-quite-as-portly CSMX80).

Any advice? Get the 11-50t because my knees aren't getting any younger (40 in march!)? Stick with what works (11-46 has seemed to be fine in 2018) and save the 50g? Is there a good value cassette (~$100) that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TBgears.JPG 
Views:	400 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	261015

Do you *ever* spin out on your 32x11 on the fat bike?

Every thought of sticking with the 46t and dropping down to a 30t front chainring? 46t is a low gear - I have that same cassette on my fat bike because its heavy and has more rolling resistance. I've never ridden a 50t cassette but I'd never consider it after riding 46t.

An for what its worth, I have 2 of those Sunrace cassettes, both with plenty of miles on them, and they're a damn good cassette for the money.

Analysis Paralysis: Sunrace 11-46 or 11-50?!

My experience is with 27.5x2.3, but that 32x50 tractor gear is nice on long days. As skared mentioned, the bigger issue for me is the 11 on the high end.

Weight is a close second to pride in my list of MTB things I don’t care that much about.

ETA: Didn’t realize Sunrace had an 11-50. That’s a nice option. Cheaper and lighter (I know!) than GX Eagle.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    My experience is with 27.5x2.3, but that 32x50 tractor gear is nice on long days. As skared mentioned, the bigger issue for me is the 11 on the high end.

Weight is a close second to pride in my list of MTB things I don’t care that much about.
    That's because weight, David, is a feminist issue.

What do you weigh? I'm 55 and ride a lot, but am not slim. I run a 42 rear and 26t front on a 27.5" bike. Similar low end is 46/28t, or 50/30t. I do a lot of steep climbs though, need the billy goat gearing. If you do a lot of steep climbs like I do, you will appreciate the easier gears. You don't need gearing like that if the climbs are under 20% grade though.

I have plenty of range with the 9 tooth small cog in the rear (9-42 cassette), it's obviously a little different with a 11-42 or similar. FWIW the Sun Race cassettes are the best value out there. I have another bike with one, they last a long time too.

Thanks for the input, guys. The fat bike has a 30T ring which I think will be sufficient for what I need there. I'm building it up right now so will know in the next few days.

I'm usually not that concerned with weight (especially 50g), but generally try to reduce weight when replacing gear unless there is a strong performance or durability reason for going with something heavier.

Some of the questions have caused me to think about different chainrings also. Looking at Strava, I have about 1000 miles on my 32t oval chainring. I have no idea how many miles before I need to replace that, but when I do, I could replace with a 34t ring and it would pair nicely with that 11-50 - giving me a higher gear and still a little better granny. I think, when it's time, that I'll probably go with the 11-50T.

I've also been really impressed with my sunrace cassette. With that in mind, my 11-42 only has 337 miles on it. Anybody want to buy it for cheap?

Seth

4 tooth jumps are acceptable, 6 tooth sux. Go with the 46 and drop the front chainring size if you need a lower gear. I have friends that are diggin' the 28t oval rings. I have an Eagle cassette on one of my bikes and those wide gaps kill me, I don't think I'll get used to them.

Oh and 40? No complaints there kid

I wouldn’t mind a 50 in 11spd as long as there’s no derailleur issue. Do sram and Shimano 11spd derailleurs adjust for a 50t without any aftermarket cages?
    I’ve been running a 28x46 on one bike and a 26x42 on the other. Ez to just throw on a small direct mount nw ring. Low gear is pretty good but can always use a bit lower occasionally. Pretty good though. I could use a 50t to run a bigger chain ring. It’d be nice to have to set up for jumps where I’m getting spun out now.
    Sunrace has some good options and a great price. I hear they’re durable(people are specking themon ebikes because of this) . They do add some weight though
    Gabaruk has some good options as well 10/11 x 46/48/50 and you can shave a fair bit of weight although that comes at a price(still cheaper than sram). Hearing good things on them as well
    https://www.garbaruk.com/cassettes/11-speed.html

Those Garbaruk cassettes look really nice, and as you stated, pricey.

I'm about 6' and 190# (for the earlier question). There are plenty of rides around here that are steep enough to justify the 50t, but I don't ride them very often.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    <snip> I have an Eagle cassette on one of my bikes and those wide gaps kill me, I don't think I'll get used to them.
    Interesting... I have Eagle GX and have never noticed.

I haven't geeked out on all the alternatives, but in the OP charts the only difference is in the lowest few gears. Might be why some big gaps aren't as noticeable in practice?

I like a bigger gap to the granny (and top) than in the middle of the range; by the time I need the last option it's nice to notice that step.

What I notice with 12sp isn’t the gaps, but the fact that it feels like a lot of low gears and a lot of clicking to get anything useful on the high end.

That’s what is so nice about the e13. That 9 tooth makes a big difference. I’ve had some issues with my 9-44, but a buddy’s 9-46 has been solid. His only gripe has been removal, and they’ve addressed that with the new pinch bolt design.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

In my experience, having a 50 is like going for the additional memory on your phone or computer...you might not need it, but when you do, it’s damn nice to already have it!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Just put a Shimano it 11-46 on my bike so can't report on how it rides but it is rather inexpensive from chain reaction
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...rod149701?mx=a

Get your Shimano from CRC soon. Last few days. After that Shimanos market in the US might be pretty damn weak. Sram is world's better anyway.

Another vote for the 28t in front. Not too pricey, and pairs nicely with the 11-46, at least for LONG climbs.

Yer gonna be 40? Cry me a river. Ha!

I converted a 29er to 1x10 last year, just going with a 28T chainring but kept the 11-36 cassette. 28x36 resulted in walking a few sections uphill, on long climbs, so that wasn't low enough. I just ordered a Shimano 10-speed 11-42 cassette, so hopefully that'll take care of the low end and work OK with the long cage SLX derailleur. I didn't order a goat link - from what I read online, this conversion might work fine without adding it.

I'm assuming that Shimano > Sunrace in longevity and shift quality, so that's why I picked the Shimano cassette, even though it's heavier.

28x11 means spinning out on pavement, but has been OK for me for dirt. I coast a lot when descending anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Hey what's that's gear calculator in your screen shot?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Gears calculator is gears.mtbcrosscountry.com. I have been running 1x10 on my trail bike for the last two years and really liked the combo of 32x11-46. It is seldom that I need less than 11 teeth and seldom when I find myself wishing I had more than 46. However, I can see the advantage of each, so think that I'll start with the sunrace 11-50 csmx80 cassette and then consider moving to a 34T ring when it's time.

Shimano may offer better shifting, but I like the jumps on the sunrace better. Is probably get used to whatever I had, though. :-)

Merry Christmas all.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I just got a 10spd 11-45t Garbaruk cassette for $150 shipped on r2-bike's black Friday sale, so I've got that going for me. Right around 265g with lockring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    I just got a 10spd 11-45t Garbaruk cassette for $150 shipped on r2-bike's black Friday sale, so I've got that going for me. Right around 265g with lockring.
    I’d be curious to hear your impressions on it. Do you use an 11spd rear derailleur?

Box components also has a 1 x 9 11-50 derailleur/shifter/cassette. It’s aimed at the ebike market. Cassette is box labeled made by sunrace. One gear at a time shifter for ebikes but I think the derailleur works with shimano shifters to have multi gear shifting

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I’d be curious to hear your impressions on it. Do you use an 11spd rear derailleur?

Box components also has a 1 x 9 11-50 derailleur/shifter/cassette. It’s aimed at the ebike market. Cassette is box labeled made by sunrace. One gear at a time shifter for ebikes but I think the derailleur works with shimano shifters to have multi gear shifting
    650g yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    650g yikes!
    Ya boat anchor eh. Yours is almost 1/3 of that