Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Shift fail or ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Yep, it's 64.5mm measure off the jig.
    Curious what the jig measurement from the middle screw pair to the back screw pair is.
    I.e. wondering if there is allowance for movement with ski flex there too given the way the toe slides onto the back screw piece

bumping just because

Quote Originally Posted by train07 View Post
    bumping just because
    Well shit. Another one.

Was the because mounted properly?

Was the nubbin fully inside the because?

Did you get water on it?

Did you get SNOW on it?!?

You can't expect the because to solve all of these issues in the fist gen!

I mean, I know it's a first year because, so you have to expect shit like this.

Thanks for beta testing the brand new because for the rest of us.

I wonder when (insert manufacturers name here) is going to finally chime in here!

(INSERT MANUFACTURERS NAME HERE) HATES TGR!

OH the HUMANITY!

Also, I hear next year's because is 0.3% lighter, and it's RED! So obviously the because2.0 is going to be waaaay fuckin better.

I'm thinking of starting a group buy.

Last edited by reckless toboggan; 12-23-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Well shit. Another one.

Did you get water on it?

I wonder when (insert manufacturers name here) is going to finally chime in here!

OH the HUMANITY!

Also, I hear next year's because is 0.3% lighter, and it's RED! So obviously the because2.0 is going to be waaaay fuckin better.

They look to be mounted properly. Were they properly torqued I don’t know. The nub was inside before they were skied and was outside after.

This is the Carbonlite version & not the traditional construction of the R 98. They are very flexible.

I’m not calling out ( insert manufacturer here ) - however I am very surprised at the number of industry folks both on this forum and in person, who have to the death suggested that it can’t be anything other than a user or mount issue.

The purpose of sharing was to highlight this as a possible issue- that’s all.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    They look to be mounted properly. Were they properly torqued I don’t know. The nub was inside before they were skied and was outside after.

This is the Carbonlite version & not the traditional construction of the R 98. They are very flexible.

I’m not calling out ( insert manufacturer here ) - however I am very surprised at the number of industry folks both on this forum and in person, who have to the death suggested that it can’t be anything other than a user or mount issue.

The purpose of sharing was to highlight this as a possible issue- that’s all.
    Just FYI that wasn't aimed at you, and it wasn't meant to be serious. It was a poke at train07 and the typical TGR response to everything.

I'm glad you posted this thread and the issue with your set. I have 2 pair, and so far so good, but definitely keeping a closer eye on it now, in several respects.

Having mounted 2 pair and on one ski placed the baseplate above the numbing it’s very easy to do and I only noticed because I set the afd height on the correct ski first. On the second I noticed the toe say about a 1/16 higher than the other. Pulled screws and seated nubbin.

Given the obvious marks on top of nubbin I’m not sure how this could be anything else. Especially if afd height was set w paper thingy and tech never looked down across (I use day light technique).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Well shit. Another one.

Did you get water on it?

OH the HUMANITY!

you were certainly on a roll there :-))

too soon for the shop to have given you their diagnosis, iripon?

in other news, merry Christmas...and yes thanks for the posting of the issue..

Shift fail or ?

The shop never had the boot, they mounted it with a rental boot in that same bsl, and tested it, with a rental boot. Per the customers request. Set the toe height to said rental boot. Had the client, sign off on the work. After it leaves the shop, and said client steps into it with any other boot, what then? What say the collective in that scenario? No matter what the clutch is at, everything is doubled down by hand. Every time. Shop practices dictate it. Talk to me.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    No matter what the clutch is at, everything is doubled down by hand. Every time. Shop practices dictate it. Talk to me.
    Yup. Every time. Standard practice.

The shop never had the boot, they mounted it with a rental boot in that same bsl, and tested it, with a rental boot. Per the customers request. Set the toe height to said rental boot. Had the client, sign off on the work. After it leaves the shop, and said client steps into it with any other boot, what then? What say the collective in that scenario? No matter what the clutch is at, everything is doubled down by hand. Every time. Shop practices dictate it. Talk to me.
    this will certainly send us on a long twisting road and not necessarily one that sheds light on the binding toe tear out....Spyderjon recently posted in the " official" shift thread an incompatibility with Atomic Hawx boot soles and the Shift AFDs...(see kidkapow's correction below)

Exactly what rental boot was being inserted and exactly what boot was the OP using during the failure...not that either has anything to do with the mystery of whether the nubbin was in it's plate slot before he skied it....detrusor in his post above seems to suggest he easily could have missed a nubbin error like this ...

Upcoming 10 pages on the boot issue though ..everyone is here to learn ....my own shifts haven't left the living room floor, mounted on Ranger 108s

So Buttha did you personally have your hands on these??
    Last edited by train07; 12-25-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: got clunky there

I was in the room, but not on the bench.
    crab in my shoe mouth

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    without a visual inspection of customers boot and using that boot in the test
    aint much sense in performing a binding test
    that needs to be waivered reguardless
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by train07 View Post
    ....Spyderjon recently posted in the " official" shift thread an incompatibility with Atomic Hawx boot soles and the Shift AFDs...
    Not to be pedantic here, be did no such thing. He stated that:

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Can't recall if this has been mentioned here but there's an issue with the Hawx boot when trying to set the toe height on the Shift due to the edge of the vibram rubber sole fouling the black AFD housing on the binding thus preventing the smooth AFD panel on the boot sitting directly on the white sliding AFD of the binding. ...

And here's the 10 second solution with a razor blade which sorts the problem

Attachment 261406
    Incompatibility is too strong of a term, reduced function before the mod makes things a-ok again might be more fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Not to be pedantic here, be did no such thing. He stated that:

Incompatibility is too strong of a term, reduced function before the mod makes things a-ok again might be more fitting.
    thanks for correcting the verbiage and I missed that 10 second solution...

I see a rehash of ramp angles coming up...could this be the perfect storm of calamities?

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    without a visual inspection of customers boot and using that boot in the test
    aint much sense in performing a binding test
    that needs to be waivered reguardless
    We tested it because we wanted to see how well it performed. We have add on waivers for situations like this.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I was in the room, but not on the bench.
    So what’s your take?

Was the nubbon in place?

Would screws 2/3 have been snugged down?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    So what’s your take?
    Would screws 2/3 have been snugged down?

Thanks in advance!
    You took the binding off dude, you need to answer this question!
    Aside from those 2 screws being loose, I just don't buy ski flexing it off

I think the hard steel was jammed into the soft billet during the install, and created those divots. Even installed properly the toe is lifted off the ski surface, and I think it would've been unnoticeable until it popped up.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    You took the binding off dude, you need to answer this question!
    Aside from those 2 screws being loose, I just don't buy ski flexing it off
    They were still tight & the glue holding when I removed em.

Shift fail or ?

Did no one read my experience? I’m a pretty observant guy, I don’t think it would be all that noticeable is the binding was on top of the nubbin.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Did no one read my experience? I’m a pretty observant guy, I don’t think it would be all that noticeable is the binding was on top of the nubbin.

I read it, and agree. More than once in the 20 test mounts I did while fiddling with the paper template dimensions the same thing happened to me, too.

I broke my Shift yesterday

I broke the left side carbon toe wing yesterday. I took a high speed crash in the bumps and the wing broke into 3 pieces. It was in the low teens when it happened. I was able to continue skiing for several more hours on the broken binding with no issues/releases. When tested, the lateral release on the affected toe piece tested at 67.

Local ski shop is awaiting warranty response from Salomon. It is the first broken Shift they have seen.

When I have new thread privileges I will post with pictures.

As others have alluded I think it will become clear this is not meant to be a resort binder for charging 20+ days a year. Perfect travel set up. Perfect side country set up and even good dedicated touring set up but will not replace a good high din alpine only set up. Longevity will eventually reveal itself. There is a reason the old pivots and solly binders get snatched up. Bomber and heavy construction. With that said I’ll eventually grab a pair for travel and touring.

Quote Originally Posted by roverdoc View Post
    As others have alluded I think it will become clear this is not meant to be a resort binder for charging 20+ days a year. Perfect travel set up. Perfect side country set up and even good dedicated touring set up but will not replace a good high din alpine only set up. Longevity will eventually reveal itself. There is a reason the old pivots and solly binders get snatched up. Bomber and heavy construction. With that said I’ll eventually grab a pair for travel and touring.
    I'd be pretty psyched if Salomon came out with a "shift steel" or something like that. Metal (or at least beefed up) construction. No real effort to make it light. Built to be durable and hold up to inbounds use. But still good for sidecountry laps and short tours.