Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    While I get the OPs point, I goto a lotta concerts. and I'm pretty guilty of this. I usually record 1-2 songs end-to-end that are my favs from that band. I've never once posted any of that vid on any social media, ever. Kinda think doing so violiates something. I do post a pic and a few words from a song on FB maybe 75% of the time, as a totally lame way to say "I was there."

BUT.

I now have this archive, maybe 5 years worth now, of a song here song there, and it's pretty fun to watch once in a while, to "remember."
    "Can't you see..."

Some bands/labels will copyright claim a video and then monetize it for themselves, so that benefits the band. I've had some band post my vids on their fb page (Melvins for one) so that's cool for the fans.

More annoying to me are the pro photogs. I get there early to get up front and then have 5 or so pros with big lenses elbowing their way around up front and blocking everyone's view.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Umm, some of those parents are streaming the event so that the other parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle who couldn't be there can also experience it and tell the child they saw it. Pretty important when the kid is in kindergarten or early grades.. especially when one parent is deployed in the military overseas with no other way to get to actually be there. Now, when the kids get older they'd sometimes rather you just left them alone to do their thing with their friends, and yes, if you do insist on coming to see them perfrom, no standing in the front row pointing the phone or camera LOL..
    You're talking pretty specific circumstances that don't explain the fact that half the crowd is watching through a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Even when I was in elementary school 25 years ago there was one camera filming the whole thing that was then distributed to anyone who wanted it. This was so you didn't have 100 camcorders going.
    Especially because of this. My kids schools live stream and record. If somebody wants it, they can get it, and it'll be 1000x times better quality.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Meh..... I don’t really have a problem with it. I have been recording every show that I have gone to for the past 30 fuckin years. These days, there’s usually a forest of mic stands around me from all the other folks who are also recording. How is this any different? As everything needed to record both video and audio is getting smaller, cheaper and easier to use, I expect to see a lot more of it inthe future.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    You're talking pretty specific circumstances that don't explain the fact that half the crowd is watching through a phone.
    Don't need the hyperbole to figure half of the people in the auditorium might have a spouse or grandparent who couldn't be there but would like to watch a live stream if it instead of waiting for the school to make DVDs or upload their version. I've never done that but gather that's what's happening to some degree with these other people around me.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I missed this thread the first go-round, but I caught Jack White just after Thanksgiving, and they were doing the lock-the-cellphone thing. I was worried that getting the phone out of jail at the end of the show was going to be a nightmare, but it went off seamlessly--whole thing probably added about 30 seconds worth of hassle. Fucking great not having 1,000 screens in front of me at the back of the floor. Now if they could just shoot the people who think it's appropriate to wear 6 inch high pork-pie hat to a general admission, standing only venue...

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Fucking great not having 1,000 screens in front of me at the back of the floor. Now if they could just shoot the people who think it's appropriate to wear 6 inch high pork-pie hat to a general admission, standing only venue...
    100% agree with this, especially at a show people are paying good money to see. Oddly, the place where people messing with their phones are the most distracting and annoying is at the movie theater after the lights go down. I don't care so much at a school concert with little kids where parents/grandparents live stream for family. Not cool at a concert where the artists are getting paid to perform for a select few in the audience, not everybody's social media streams. I'm 100% cool with strict NO videography rules for concerts and kicking people out for that, pretty sure they already have them for movie theaters.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!