Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Last is the internal forefoot width. Kind of a mid range at 100. Nothing to do with flex. The medial plastic on the shin and the cuff might be really stiff but doesn't look 130 stiff but what do I know.
    Has anyone ever successfully made a non-overlap, non-cabrio shell with a 130 flex? Seems impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    I realize that its referring to the width, which has been 98 for years now. Thats another interesting change, because it mentions nothing of "AX" which has indicated a wider last in the past.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they've seen better sales in the wider AX versions (not to mention all the love that wide-last boots like the Maestrale get) and decided to move on from the old 98mm last. My skinny feet love it, but it definitely pigeon holes you in terms of the range of potential consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Attachment 262716

a bit surprised that Marker doesn't update their front binding, though this seems to be a bit of Kingpin meets Alpinist synergy no? Aka - Tecton still rules surpreme in this segment imo
    It just looks like a more explode-y Kingpin to me.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Has anyone ever successfully made a non-overlap, non-cabrio shell with a 130 flex? Seems impossible.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've seen better sales in the wider AX versions (not to mention all the love that wide-last boots like the Maestrale get) and decided to move on from the old 98mm last. My skinny feet love it, but it definitely pigeon holes you in terms of the range of potential consumers.
    Ugh.

I hope they didn't move on from that last.

Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post
    It just looks like a more explode-y Kingpin to me.
    Lately Marker loves making more explode-y versions of their products. See: Baron, Griffin, and Squire.

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    Actually looks like tlt/vulcan/backland tongue stopper, so may be shown in tour/light mode
    That actually seems likely. I curious has to how that cable operates over the forefoot as well.

Yo real MVP goes to FriFlyt.no for it's middle finger to media black outs and letting us plebs see new stuff sooner
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

If you remove the cabrio tongue and have all the forward flex stiffness come off the spine, then you end up with that fabric front Dalbello. How it feels when flexing though... Who knows.

There's stiff flexing, and then there's just stiff without flex (brick wall).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Tried to find a thread for these. I thought there was one....
    Anywho, Bambam has received and mounted his initial stock of Bam pinding bindings. They’re taking a ski trip over here in March so I’m hoping to try a pair. They’re pretty happy with the product manufacturing. I didn’t catch any definitive release dates.

http://www.bavarianalpinemanifest.com/en/products

Attachment 262598
    I have not read any news since a year or something. Where did you get your info? Would be great if those keep their promise and become available.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    If you remove the cabrio tongue and have all the forward flex stiffness come off the spine, then you end up with that fabric front Dalbello. How it feels when flexing though... Who knows.

That's how the Arcteryx Procline works - getting downhill flex by restricting the movement of the spine. I haven't ridden them, but by all accounts I've read they're super soft and linear until you bottom out the flex and hit a wall.

Has anyone ever successfully made a non-overlap, non-cabrio shell with a 130 flex? s.
    First we’d have to figure out what makes a 130 flex boot other than being the most expensive boot in a brand line. .

You could easily achieve this by putting both spine stiffeners in a KR2 and removing the tongue.

Hint: it'll be terrible.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by couchsending View Post
    I think the biggest issue with the new Spur is people thought it was going to be like the old one when in fact it’s almost the opposite, prolly should have called it a different name.

Old one did one thing well, arc at speed in pow, that’s it. New one does not do that well at all. However the new one is waaaay more fun in tighter, lower angle, more cut up snow.

I’ve skied it in a lot of conditions, from cut up resort pow in UT and Jackson, cat skiing, and Heli skiing in Haines. Never had more fun on a ski that fat in resort ever. Didn’t matter how cut up it was or how tight the trees were. Felt like you could do anything. Cat skiing in tight trees and lower angle pitches was awesome. Crazy how easy they were. However as soon as you get to big open faces they’re too soft and become unpredictable at speed. In AK they were not that cool. For someone lighter than my fat ass they might be just fine but at 220 without gear they were not the right ski for the conditions (196 Bodacious or 192 Hustler 11 for that). That being said these were the first ones made and they did make the fore body of the ski stiffer in production so they should be slightly better at speed than the first ones.

The biggest issue with them is they look rather intimidating and the old ones had a pretty intimidating reputation. The new ones are crazy accessible for people who never thought they could ski a 192 124 wasted ski. The reaction from people who have never skied a ski that big was priceless.
    Good to know. Thanks.

The upper tongue on the Scarpa F1 does nothing to stiffen flex (I think it doesn help create a snug fit in ski mode). But the flex is surprisingly progressive. More like 90-100 than 130 though. I think it works because the clog climbs up the shin and pushes agains the lower, rigid part of the tongue without impeding the walk mode. On the Dalbello the clog appear up the shin higher than on any boot I've seen! Not sure how that will work. I haven't notice a boot with a similar design

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I have not read any news since a year or something. Where did you get your info? Would be great if those keep their promise and become available.
    I don’t have much info apart from “they look good” and the first ones are being mounted now(probably the owners personal bindings) and I might have a chance to try them/fingers crossed . I’ll update if I can but that’s almost spring time if it does happen.

Tried to find a thread for these. I thought there was one....
    Anywho, Bambam has received and mounted his initial stock of Bam pinding bindings. They’re taking a ski trip over here in March so I’m hoping to try a pair. They’re pretty happy with the product manufacturing. I didn’t catch any definitive release dates.

http://www.bavarianalpinemanifest.com/en/products

Attachment 262598
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    The upper tongue on the Scarpa F1 does nothing to stiffen flex (I think it doesn help create a snug fit in ski mode). But the flex is surprisingly progressive. More like 90-100 than 130 though. I think it works because the clog climbs up the shin and pushes agains the lower, rigid part of the tongue without impeding the walk mode. On the Dalbello the clog appear up the shin higher than on any boot I've seen! Not sure how that will work. I haven't notice a boot with a similar design
    The existing lupo line has the lower coming up that high. I think you need a little more material as there isn't much material from the cuff around the front of the boot. Skis good is all I know.

If it's with no tongue, I'd guess they have to fill in the flex notch at the back of the lower shell, like auvgeek was saying.

No matter what the stock book is, you can certainly add a tounge, aftermarket. The buckles don't look made for easy open and tongue swap, but who cares.

I honestly don't think the 100mm last fits too differently than the 98mm last, for people who are worried. That said, I punched the shit out of my 98mm in the forefoot, but I like the back half of the boot tight.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Kind of looks like it ticks the boxes. Look pivot like heel , 2 risers , burly enough construction to be a daily driver at the hill, low to the ski. Release looks smooth on their Instagram
    You could still put them on your monoski

Kind of looks like it ticks the boxes. Look pivot like heel , 2 risers , burly enough construction to be a daily driver at the hill, low to the ski. Release looks smooth on their Instagram
    You could still put them on your monoski
    The only concern I see right now for the Pinding is that when the pins are deployed for the up, they appear to be very low to the ski, which could result in (a) boot clearance issues with the ski/afd (b) the boot toebox bottoming out on the binding toe housing and not giving a full range of forward motion or denting the boot toebox, (ie. the tecton issue.)

The nice thing about the shift is that the toe pins are a bit higher up when deployed, so there are not really any boot toe box clearance issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

The main concern I see is Amer’s patent lawyers vs BAM’s patent lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    The only concern I see right now for the Pinding is that when the pins are deployed for the up, they appear to be very low to the ski, which could result in (a) boot clearance issues with the ski/afd (b) the boot toebox bottoming out on the binding toe housing and not giving a full range of forward motion or denting the boot toebox, (ie. the tecton issue.)

The nice thing about the shift is that the toe pins are a bit higher up when deployed, so there are not really any boot toe box clearance issues.
    I’m guessing the pins slide back far enough that it’s not a problem but then how does the boot not engage the heel? Nice to move back rather than up for climbing to make switchbacks easier and breaking trail. I’m extra curious now

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The main concern I see is Amer’s patent lawyers vs BAM’s patent lawyers.
    I thought that had already been settled? I think it was mentioned in last years “gear rumour” thread? Maybe 2 years ago?

Gear rumors 19/20

I’m curious as to why more brands (including scarpa actually) haven’t turned to the Alien RS style closure for their lighter general touring boots. That system is light, modular, simple, and skis really damn well for what it is. With a beefier cord and catch it seems like you could make a 1000-1300g boot that tours really well and punches above its weight, all while not having to resort to fucking snowboard buckles to shave grams

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Shift patent (https://patents.google.com/patent/EP...m=100&sort=new) is both really specific in some parts and really broad in others. I haven't made it all the way through, but at first glance the biggest thing that could potentially keep BAM safe from litigation is that the function of the tech/pin system isn't integrated into the function of the wings of the toe itself. That seems to be a big part of what Salomon claims in the patent.

Quote Originally Posted by abp View Post
    I’m curious as to why more brands (including scarpa actually) haven’t turned to the Alien RS style closure for their lighter general touring boots. That system is light, modular, simple, and skis really damn well for what it is. With a beefier cord and catch it seems like you could make a 1000-1300g boot that tours really well and punches above its weight, all while not having to resort to fucking snowboard buckles to shave grams

Scarpa F1 RS? It’s a gap in their line eh

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post

Yes please.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Gear rumors 19/20

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post

Yeah an f1 clog with a taller carbon grillamid cuff, a Zero G tour pro-gauge throw and 5-6mm cord would be frickin sweet!