Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I had a pair of Dalbello Sherpa 5/5s for a couple seasons. They weren't great boots (too heavy to justify their soft flex, weird shell fit), but I did really like the split tongue. It didn't allow the forward ROM of a completely removable tongue, but for hikes and quick tours it gave you all the rear ROM you need. Super simple, super effective.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BLU.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	262555

+1 on Lupo removable tongues. Love them. Added downhill performance, and lighter weight and better ROM for uphill. No regular boot can match that. And it seriously only adds 30 seconds per boot on transition, maybe less. Not fiddly when you know how to do it properly.

TeamLupo is very intrigued on this lighter touring boot!

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Throw me in a removable tongues are good* camp. I think a 1300-1400g Lupo Tour is 100% attainable while still skiing really well. The Lupo 120 AX is under 1800g / 26.5 with replaceable Grip Walk soles, a heavy cuff and powerstrap.

A narrower last, lighter carbon plastic cuff, minimalistic yet functional powerstrap (see ZeroG Tour), and thin fixed rubber 9523 sole would likely get you most if not all of the way there.

*when executed properly like the Lupo not in a pain in the ass fashion like the Vulcan, Backland.
    I’d buy this boot.

Lupo TI/130c was a game changer.
    I’d rather ski/walk in a cabrio boot than an overlap any day.

Wonder if they can preserve the tongue attachment mechanism across the lupo line, so we could put a stiff b tongue on it if we were so inclined...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Tried to find a thread for these. I thought there was one....
    Anywho, Bambam has received and mounted his initial stock of Bam pinding bindings. They’re taking a ski trip over here in March so I’m hoping to try a pair. They’re pretty happy with the product manufacturing. I didn’t catch any definitive release dates.

http://www.bavarianalpinemanifest.com/en/products

Name:	6EF58928-7950-44F8-9582-939C61973263.png 
Views:	395 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	262598

I bet he can expect a letter from Salomon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I bet he can expect a letter from Salomon.
    I think he was in before shift. It’s a done deal

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Tried to find a thread for these. I thought there was one....
    Anywho, Bambam has received and mounted his initial stock of Bam pinding bindings. They’re taking a ski trip over here in March so I’m hoping to try a pair. They’re pretty happy with the product manufacturing. I didn’t catch any definitive release dates.

http://www.bavarianalpinemanifest.com/en/products
    Cool concept. From their instagram it looks like they have some "working" protos, but judging by the quality of those 3d models and renderings they're probably still a ways away.

yeah, but then again I do not think they have updated their web page in quite some time. It was remarkably similar when I last visited it compared to a year ago. Nice concept for sure - will be intersting to see how they function. They've been doing it for a while, and the concept is a bit different mechanically than Shifts, so I think they should be good to go without any infringement. I might be mistaken

Gear rumors 19/20

Name:	IMG_1746.JPG 
Views:	418 
Size:	431.4 KB 
ID:	262710
    Dalbello Lupo Air 130
    1.299 kg

Looks like no more tongues

lupo air, kingpin m.werks, mantra

New kingpin called m.werks.

built on alpinist and kingpin
    620 gram
    two springs, not six in the toe
    flat, 7, 13 degress walkmode
    28mm length adjust
    backhouse is made lighter with aramid and carbon in some parts
    DIN 5-12

Dalbello Air

Comes in two types, Air 110 and Air 130
    1299 gram
    newly developed grilamid in the shell
    lighter vibram soles
    no removable tongue

Mantra-family

five new models: Mantra 102, Secret 102, Kendo 92, Kendo 88 and Kenja 88
    several of the models has something called 3D radius sidecut, a combination of three different turningradiuses
    Mantra 102: 2035 g

Not allowed to post pics yet apparently. kingping all blacked out.

source: friflyt.no
    Last edited by poocher; 01-03-2019 at 10:08 AM.

https://www.friflyt.no/ski/lanserer-ny-lettere-kingpin

Kinda bummed about the Dalbello offering. Not sure how it'll ski without a tongue tbh.

Was hoping it'd just be a lighter Lupo

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I haven't skied them, but they seem to be pretty un-versatile based on descriptions and how frequently they've been for sale cheap. Rustler 11 is a sweet ski though. I'd consider Zero G's based on that design, actually. So I take it back.

Blizzard, make a Zero G 114, please.
    I think the biggest issue with the new Spur is people thought it was going to be like the old one when in fact it’s almost the opposite, prolly should have called it a different name.

Old one did one thing well, arc at speed in pow, that’s it. New one does not do that well at all. However the new one is waaaay more fun in tighter, lower angle, more cut up snow.

I’ve skied it in a lot of conditions, from cut up resort pow in UT and Jackson, cat skiing, and Heli skiing in Haines. Never had more fun on a ski that fat in resort ever. Didn’t matter how cut up it was or how tight the trees were. Felt like you could do anything. Cat skiing in tight trees and lower angle pitches was awesome. Crazy how easy they were. However as soon as you get to big open faces they’re too soft and become unpredictable at speed. In AK they were not that cool. For someone lighter than my fat ass they might be just fine but at 220 without gear they were not the right ski for the conditions (196 Bodacious or 192 Hustler 11 for that). That being said these were the first ones made and they did make the fore body of the ski stiffer in production so they should be slightly better at speed than the first ones.

The biggest issue with them is they look rather intimidating and the old ones had a pretty intimidating reputation. The new ones are crazy accessible for people who never thought they could ski a 192 124 wasted ski. The reaction from people who have never skied a ski that big was priceless.

Name:	Lanserer-ny-lettere-Kingpin_crop_1280.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	262716
    Name:  14-29-08_ordinary_660.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  24.6 KB

a bit surprised that Marker doesn't update their front binding, though this seems to be a bit of Kingpin meets Alpinist synergy no? Aka - Tecton still rules surpreme in this segment imo

Dalbello Air vs Hoji Free sounds like a sweet comparison for next season. Dalbello air looks super weird without a tongue, but I'll reserve judgement until I or someone I trust skis it.

Air at 1300 g could be my next boot, if it skis anything close to a 130 flex. Would love a 1300g boot with an instep buckle.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Gear rumors 19/20

That dalbello is a weird looking thing, can’t help but be reminded of those apex ski-snowboard hybrid boots.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Gear rumors 19/20

Quote Originally Posted by poocher View Post
    Dalbello Air

Comes in two types, Air 110 and Air 130
    1299 gram
    newly developed grilamid in the shell
    lighter vibram soles
    no removable tongue

source: friflyt.no
    I’m really curious here whether they can pull off a 130 flex without a tongue. Less than stoked on the ratchet buckles, but if the flex is there is probably a worthwhile trade for the weight.

Also, they retain the terrible liner from the most recent Lupos. Guess the days of stock Intuition liners are done for the Lupo series

Gear rumors 19/20

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post

Name:	IMG_1746.JPG 
Views:	418 
Size:	431.4 KB 
ID:	262710
    Dalbello Lupo Air 130
    1.299 kg

Looks like no more tongues
    Jesus Christ, I got what I asked for and now I feel bad. That looks awful. It for sure looks like those Apex monstrosities.

I feel dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Jesus Christ, I got what I asked for and now I feel bad. That looks awful. It for sure looks like those Apex monstrosities.

I feel dirty.

It's like an Apex boot fucked the Hoji boot.

I'm not clear where the flex in the Air is coming from? Does the shell connect in front or something??

It looks like it says "Last 100" on heel. Theres definitely no tongue on there, just the fabric gasket over the opening. Those two things dont add up for me, which makes me speculate this might not be entirely accurate info.

Name:  14-38-03_ordinary_400.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  93.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Jesus Christ, I got what I asked for and now I feel bad. That looks awful.
    You asked for red?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    It looks like it says "Last 100" on heel. Theres definitely no tongue on there, just the fabric gasket over the opening. Those two things dont add up for me, which makes me speculate this might not be entirely accurate info.

Last is the internal forefoot width. Kind of a mid range at 100. Nothing to do with flex. The medial plastic on the shin and the cuff might be really stiff but doesn't look 130 stiff but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Last is the internal forefoot width. Kind of a mid range at 100.
    I realize that its referring to the width, which has been 98 for years now. Thats another interesting change, because it mentions nothing of "AX" which has indicated a wider last in the past.

My reading comprehension is slow.

Gear rumors 19/20

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    That plastic knob over the fabric gasket...
    Actually looks like tlt/vulcan/backland tongue stopper, so may be shown in tour/light mode or smth