Boot Fitting : Wrap Liners Strain IT Band?

Bit of an interesting boot fitting question that goes beyond my knowledge.

I purchased my wife a set of Dalbello Chakra's with the wrap style intuitions over the summer. Strangely enough this season she's had a lot of issues with her IT band getting really tight and it making it tough for her to ski full days. It seems to help if she runs her boots looser than normal (meaning quite loose).

She has never had IT band issues before. This has happened the last five days of skiing... Has anyone ever heard of someone having issues with a wrap liner messing with their legs?

It also could be something that she is just having to work through early season that's unrelated to boots. The boot tightening makes me suspicious... but it also could be she just backs off her skiing when the boots are looser. Looking to see if people have had similar stories.

Some shapes of boot shells/liners can put pressure on the peroneus longus, which in turn can propagate (read: yank on) to the ham string and IT, which can also eventually mess up your hips.

Someone feel free to correct me.

It's a round about pathway, but apparently it's pretty common in skiers.

Not sure what the solution is, but I've heard of that pathway affecting people with new boots, or who ski and don't stretch those groups much. ... No, I mean even more than that.

Boots that are too tight in the calf area can cause it directly. If your lower foot/ankle is loose, and the top of the boot is too tight (to compensate), it can cause this. If your boot is too loose in the upper, the constant slamming of your calf/peroneus longus into the upper liner, or where the boot shell cuff ends can cause this.

tl;dr

I don't have a solution, as boot fitting over the internet is basically impossible. So I'm trying to describe the pathway that may/can cause tight IT bands.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

This is exactly what i was hoping to hear. Not asking for specific solutions, more looking for an answer that I'm not crazy for thinking the boots are part of the problem. I think we'll start with some stretching, foam rolling, and maybe re-molding...

Anyone else is welcome to chime in with further insights.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Some shapes of boot shells/liners can put pressure on the peroneus longus, which in turn can propagate (read: yank on) to the ham string and IT, which can also eventually mess up your hips.

Someone feel free to correct me.

It's a round about pathway, but apparently it's pretty common in skiers.

Not sure what the solution is, but I've heard of that pathway affecting people with new boots, or who ski and don't stretch those groups much. ... No, I mean even more than that.

Boots that are too tight in the calf area can cause it directly. If your lower foot/ankle is loose, and the top of the boot is too tight (to compensate), it can cause this. If your boot is too loose in the upper, the constant slamming of your calf/peroneus longus into the upper liner, or where the boot shell cuff ends can cause this.

tl;dr

I don't have a solution, as boot fitting over the internet is basically impossible. So I'm trying to describe the pathway that may/can cause tight IT bands.

I would also make sure that her ankle's pivot point is more or less lined up with the boot shell pivot point (note that for some boots, particularly cabrio/3 price boots like the Chakra, where the actual pivot bolt is located and where the pivot point of the boot shell is, may/can be different depending on the shape of the rear shell and on the shape of the tongue, I'm not explaining this part very well) keeping in mind the thickness of the bottom of the liner, insole, footbeds, etc.

If her ankle's pivot point is either above or below the shell's pivot point, you can run into peroneus issues.

Re: pivot bolts

See this...

VS this...

Last edited by reckless toboggan; 12-17-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point