Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Roof Top Storage for Subaru Crosstrek??

Looking to possibly buy a roof top storage box for our Subaru Crosstrek we bought Saturday. Needs to be big enough for 3 pair of skis up to 186 long, my pair, pair for the wife, pair for the kid and one board for other kid. Plus would like enough room for some other items. What do yall recommend?

Congrats on the new car.
    Most important thing: is it red?
    If not, take that shit right back to the dealership and swap it out for a red one.
    Then get whatever box has robots on it. Any of the 1200, long skinny ones should do.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Crosstreks are gutless and anything on the roof will tank your mileage and make the interior annoyingly loud. So get the lowest profile thing you can get away with. Speaking from experience here.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Crosstreks are gutless and anything on the roof will tank your mileage and make the interior annoyingly loud. So get the lowest profile thing you can get away with. Speaking from experience here.
    I don’t know if I’d say “tank” but I see a bit of a difference seasonally. Without anything on the roof I get 32-34 mpg. In the summer with a bike rack about 30-32. In the winter with a box (an older Thule Summit I bought used for cheap) I get about 27-30, which also has to do with winter tires and gas. I’m in VT so virtually no city driving, lots of highways and backroads.

The box is great, I’ve fit 5 pairs of skis in it before up to 186. You can hear a bit of a rattle from inside but it’s really not that bad. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post
    I don’t know if I’d say “tank” but I see a bit of a difference seasonally. Without anything on the roof I get 32-34 mpg. In the summer with a bike rack about 30-32. In the winter with a box (an older Thule Summit I bought used for cheap) I get about 27-30, which also has to do with winter tires and gas. I’m in VT so virtually no city driving, lots of highways and backroads.

The box is great, I’ve fit 5 pairs of skis in it before up to 186. You can hear a bit of a rattle from inside but it’s really not that bad. YMMV
    15% is 'tank'

But yeah, agreed with above.. The usual suspects, but they are LOUD on the crosstrek or imprezas
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

We live in central Colorado....it has plenty of power I think. Its not a sports car but we werent looking for a sports car. No its not red....we dont do red at all.

If you'd have gotten a Forester your skis would fit in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you'd have gotten a Forester your skis would fit in the back.
    And then we would need roof top cargo to put our bags. Believe me we went over all these scenarios.

Wife has a Crosstrek. We have a Thule Force L for the factory crossbars. Works great. Is noisy as stated above

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

In hindsight I wish I had gone with aftermarket crossbars so I could fit a bike rack and box simultaneously.

The Yakima Skybox 16 works for our needs. Easily fits 4 pairs of 185ish skis. 189+ish get a bit tricky but still fit. Fits my 2005 Forester with a spoiler with no contact with the hatch fully open (same with the 2015 Outback).

Thanks guys, keep em coming!

I have a yakima skybox 18, yak lowrider bars, get a couple more inches of height to clear the tailgate

Glen did you buy it new or finance through the dealership? Could have got a Thule alpine lumped into the lean

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewd View Post
    Glen did you buy it new or finance through the dealership? Could have got a Thule alpine lumped into the lean
    Paid cash.

A 1600 is gonna look hilarious on a small car. Plus, with the skinny ski one, you can keep a bike rack or two on all year which reduces fuck aroundary.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    15% is 'tank'

But yeah, agreed with above.. The usual suspects, but they are LOUD on the crosstrek or imprezas
    A lot of that is shitty winter gas. Still better mileage than an SUV that will also suffer from a box on top. Ask me how I know (13 mpg in the winter with 4Runner and box).

You can hear our Yakima, but it's not that loud. Not any louder than the rest of the wind noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen1978 View Post
    And then we would need roof top cargo to put our bags. Believe me we went over all these scenarios.
    Let's get down to brass tax here, stickers.

Have you even thought about the stickers?

You WILL need: YETI - CO - and the rainbow Patagonia fish at the very least or they'll throw you right out of Colorado.

Literally just got our Thule delivered today and got it up on the lady's forester. This is the Force 625 XL, barely fits the crossbars. I think the Alpine model is honestly gonna be your best bet. The old version is on sale on Amazon since they released the new version too. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181218_194630.jpeg 
Views:	267 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	260655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181218_200216.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	260656

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

You WILL need: YETI - CO - and the rainbow Patagonia fish at the very least or they'll throw you right out of Colorado.
    Don't forget "who's your farmer?"

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewd View Post
    Literally just got our Thule delivered today and got it up on the lady's forester. This is the Force 625 XL, barely fits the crossbars. I think the Alpine model is honestly gonna be your best bet. The old version is on sale on Amazon since they released the new version too.
    Can you open the hatch without it touching the box? Which crossbars do you have? I'm having trouble finding a box that will fit my Impreza (same factory rails as the crosstrek I believe) and that I can fit a pair of 186cm skis inside.

Got her a 2019 so they were from the dealership. Thule didn't even have them on their site. Just the standard aerobars for the Forester.

The shape of the Thule Motion XT allows for rear hatch opening on a number of smaller wagons/crossovers. Fits on an Allroad nicely, and holds 192 protests with some room to spare

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Don't forget "who's your farmer?"
    And don't forget the obligatory Alta classic, yellow Silverton triangle, BC.com goat, some generic set of CO "micro" breweries, and of course the Butterfly for local flair.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

This guy is asking the important questions.