Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I hiked part of the Muir trail one June in the Evolution/Palisades area. Spent a lot of time crawling over 3 ft + diameter knocked-down trees piled 3 and 4 trees high. The slope opposite Dusy Basin on the other side of the Middle Fork of the Kings was 2000 vertical feet and several hundred yards wide of similar sized knocked down trees--with not a single tree left standing.

I remember this one time I shared an anecdote that had nothing to do with the thread title, or so I thought.

But in reality, it was way more than just once.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Cool story Hansel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Cool story Hansel.
    So hot right now

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    If you are going to make decisions about skiing a slope based upon slope angle, you are going to end up dead. A major problem with all avy classes is way too much time is wasted on book statistics and not real time in the mountains actually evaluating terrain and conditions. Never once in 20 years have I ever seen anyone decide to ski a slope because its only 35 degrees, and not the "book target range" At the end of the day its either steep enough to slide or its not. I dont know of a single avalanche professional that can give you an exact number on any given day based upon conditions.
    I agree with your sentiments, and this is also how I approach ski touring / hazard assessment / and decision making. But i think it bears mentioning that in Europe a large part of the decision making is through the Munter reduction method which (this came as a BIG surprise to me) is much more quantitative and empirical than the typical N. American approach.

Sorry if this got covered elsewhere. Haven't read the whole thread yet.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 798
Size:  48.7 KB

From NWAC: Northway, Crystal (Closed, in bounds)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I remember this one time I shared an anecdote that had nothing to do with the thread title, or so I thought.

But in reality, it was way more than just once.
    I was talking about the idea, posted on the previous page, that you're safe in the trees. I guess I should have made that more explicit; I thought it was pretty obvious, but maybe you only read the last page of the thread.

Does anyone else use the BCA app w/ slope angle tool? Hopefully it’s accurate?!

Not sure what is worse. People who say "stability was excellent" or people who quiz you about pit results, aspect or elevation when you post simple observations. As if the snowpack or human factors give a shit if you have that knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    People who say "stability was excellent"
    Always find this a bit odd tbh

Awesome thread. How that I think about it, I'm a big fan for using social media to attempt to hit as many eyeballs with as much information as possible if the goal is to assist in making good decisions. I think the recently posted pictures do this.

Where I think it becomes counter productive is when the information is not objects an tries to effect the readers emotions. i.e. scare them. This seems to lead to a bit of a fuck you response.

Not sure what is worse. People who say "stability was excellent" or people who quiz you about pit results, aspect or elevation when you post simple observations. As if the snowpack or human factors give a shit if you have that knowledge...
    We have a winner

Maybe they're both the worst.

#stabilitywasnotfatal

Back to the idea of social media hyping snowpack conditions...

What they're reporting is information based on objective snow analysis for a particular area. Are those guys the definitive experts? Hard to say. Some of them are pretty well trained and know how to pick apart snowpack profile. Are they out skiing everyday on different aspects?-hard to say-some are, some aren't.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that its information and to use it as one of many tools for planning your day. The majority of my backcountry skiing experience has been in places where the snowpack is notoriously bad: throughout Colorado and the Sangre de Cristos around Taos ski valley. Consequently, my background causes me to be perhaps more cautious than say, a person from an area with more of a maritime snowpack or consistent snowfall.

As noted earlier in this post, the ability to read the terrain is probably the most important skill to have in the avalanche avoidance game. Aspects, pitch, micro-terrain, traps, convex roll-overs, escape plans...these are "real time" tools you can use on any day in the backcountry-whether its a high danger day or low.

The rating scale is just part of it. I've had great touring days on high danger days-choosing to ski areas that are relatively safe and avoiding the areas that would've obliterated us. I've had scary days on "low danger" days too-thinking that its OK to push it because the rating was a "low moderate or even low".

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    That was frightening. Wow.

Does social media overhype avy danger?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    18” on ball bearings

I don't know why you wouldn't expect to trigger that wind-loaded convex rollover traipsing across the top of it.

But yes, absolutely an effective use of social media.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I don't know why you wouldn't expect to trigger that
    It's pretty reasonable to to say "Jesus fucking Christ that was unexpected".

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    18” on ball bearings
    That's why brown ski pants are the best.

#FlyLowChemical
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I don't know why you wouldn't expect to trigger that wind-loaded convex rollover traipsing across the top of it.

But yes, absolutely an effective use of social media.
    Have you ever skied in the bc? That slide isn’t some normal thing that happens everyday

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Have you ever skied in the bc? That slide isn’t normal.
    I was gonna post Brit’s video as well.
    On many, many BC adventures I get near a ridge like that, staying away from the edge, as one should, and I’ve never seen the snow roll away like on ball bearings.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I've seen it happen, but only during a storm with high wind. That said, he did not mention elevation, aspect or actual location, just "somewhere in the Icicle", and then extrapolates the risk to the whole of the central eastern Cascades. I've been skiing and sledding several days over the past few weeks in the same general vicinity (around Ingalls and the Jack Creek valley, a bit south of the Icicle, but who knows how far from the report) and have not seen any evidence of the same. In fact, I have seen no evidence of any slides in that area as of yesterday, and that's with sun in the alpine, which lets you see the evidence of expert sledders giving all the alpine faces a serious test. Overhype? Not sure if that's the right adjective, but not that useful in actual practice. It's good to know people are finding surprises, it's not valuable though if the data is not relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    I've seen it happen, but only during a storm with high wind. That said, he did not mention elevation, aspect or actual location, just "somewhere in the Icicle", and then extrapolates the risk to the whole of the central eastern Cascades. I've been skiing and sledding several days over the past few weeks in the same general vicinity (around Ingalls and the Jack Creek valley, a bit south of the Icicle, but who knows how far from the report) and have not seen any evidence of the same. In fact, I have seen no evidence of any slides in that area as of yesterday, and that's with sun in the alpine, which lets you see the evidence of expert sledders giving all the alpine faces a serious test. Overhype? Not sure if that's the right adjective, but not that useful in actual practice. It's good to know people are finding surprises, it's not valuable though if the data is not relevant.
    Yeah, this resonates for me...

Social media posts with incomplete information tend to generate more questions than useful information, and most that I see fall into that category.