Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sling Pack recommendations?

Most recent thread I could find was 2 years old. Looking for recommendations. Wife wants to get me a Christmas gift and this is all I can think of, and I need a bigger pack than the small Orvis pack I have.
    Had looked at the Upqua Steamboat previously and looked great, but maybe there’s something newer/better?

The best I've used is the Fishpond thunderhead. I also tried Simms and Patagonia, sold those and kept the fishpond. Spendy but I often have a camera with me and need the waterproof'ness.

I've been digging the Patagonia vest front sling. I like being able to access the basics from the front, but still have the storage of a sling bag for an extra layer, water bottle, etc.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Veedavoo. Had one for a couple years and just bought 1 as a gift. Beast is the model. Awesome company.

+1 for the Fishpond options. I liked how the Umpqua steamboat wore but felt the pockets were too segregated, so even though it could carry a lot of little stuff, it was hard to fit single bigger items like a DSLR in. Plus Umpqua are horrible people not worth supporting...

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    I've been digging the Patagonia vest front sling. I like being able to access the basics from the front, but still have the storage of a sling bag for an extra layer, water bottle, etc.
    I've seen how handy and good the Patagonia's.

I love my Simms Waypoints Large Sling. Well made and has plenty of room for my stuff.

Last edited by GTOTTO666; 01-07-2019 at 01:18 AM.

Last edited by GTOTTO666; 01-07-2019 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    +1 for the Fishpond options. I liked how the Umpqua steamboat wore but felt the pockets were too segregated, so even though it could carry a lot of little stuff, it was hard to fit single bigger items like a DSLR in. Plus Umpqua are horrible people not worth supporting...
    Ended up finding the Umpqua ZS Ambi for around $80 so I got it.

Only used once. Not sure I’m sold on it yet.
    The fishponds are nice, but something didn’t seem right about it.

I felt the same after checking out a number of slings in the shops. something is off with most of them. I use an old patagonia sling thats not designed for fishing but works when needed. would like to know how it works out!

the veedavoo look interesting. just havnt seen in person. would like to read a review by someone...

Quote Originally Posted by stolitonic View Post
    ...would like to read a review by someone...
    Here ya go:
    https://vedavoo.com/product/beast-sling/

Ya. Shoot me a pm with any questions. I’ve probably got 100 days on the vedavoo and really could not be happier. Net interface is not ideal (likely operator error) and I’ve just started sliding the net between my back and the sling when I bring 1 with me. My opinion is nets and slings are less than ideal most the time anyway.

As an update. Umpqua ZS sling. This is long winded, but no one reads this anyway. Maybe it will help someone.

Got to fish this past Sunday.

The strap is sliding off of my shoulder. Even with the cross strap tightened, the strap on the shoulder always seems to be slipping off and I’m not sure why. My Orvis sling never did this. I’m not sure why it’s happening. Maybe the angle of the strap isn’t right (for me), or maybe it’s too wide? In other words, too much of the strap is overhanging my shoulder and is slipping down? Maybe a narrower strap would sit better between my shoulder and neck.
    I need to put on the Orvis to compare.

As far as a pack, I think the amount of space and pockets, etc is great. Not sure it sits in the best position when swung around, but that part seemed much better than my first time out with it.
    If this slipping off the shoulder issue wasn’t happening , I probably wouldn’t even notice the other things I’d improve.

Honestly, as much as I wanted this to work, I think I’m going to look again. It’s not critical, as it works fine and I don’t fish enough....
    Ive always been intrigued with Vedavoo, and love the story, but I’d like to be able to get my hands on one before I buy it.
    Maybe I’ll look at Simms and FP again, but they didn’t click for me in the store. Will also look at the larger Orvis again.

Just get a vest and be done with it.
    You’re a fly fisherman. Dress like it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have an Umpqua Steamboat I'd unload for $25 and split the shipping. PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I have an Umpqua Steamboat I'd unload for $25 and split the shipping. PM if interested.
    I will take it if OP doesnt want it

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Snapt...Dude..where were you in December? Let the fugitive have at it. At the very least, I’d like to hear his thoughts. What are yours?

I refuse to Vest...wtf oos?

If I really get introspective, I carry too much shit. I have shitty fly boxes with shit I don’t need and don’t even know wtf I’ve got.
    I have smarted up enough to leave my hopper box at home in January so I guess that’s a start.

Snapt, also curious why Umpqua are horrible people?
    Last edited by KenJongIll; 02-10-2019 at 03:59 PM.

So I’m updating this many months later.
    I guess now that I’ve have 3 consecutive days to fish I can give an honest observation that the Umpqua bag is a definite no go for me. I’ve literally got a blister on my shoulder, more like a cut. It’s a constant problem while fishing, falling off my shoulder.
    I like a lot about it other than how it fits me.
    Back in the market again... I’ll sell this one for $20 if anyone wants it, once I find what works for me.

Anyone had experience with the Fishpond sling?

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    So I’m updating this many months later.
    I guess now that I’ve have 3 consecutive days to fish I can give an honest observation that the Umpqua bag is a definite no go for me. I’ve literally got a blister on my shoulder, more like a cut. It’s a constant problem while fishing, falling off my shoulder.
    I like a lot about it other than how it fits me.
    Back in the market again... I’ll sell this one for $20 if anyone wants it, once I find what works for me.
    KJIII,
    Sewing on something wider to the straps, as wide as a vest would be = spreads out the weight There's nothing off the shelf, just improvise a little...

Gotta guy selling a FP Gore Range vest for $75. I might have to jump on it. Cannot believe I might be wearing a vest.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Gotta guy selling a FP Gore Range vest for $75. I might have to jump on it. Cannot believe I might be wearing a vest.
    Did it, haven't looked back. Unless it's a full day trek.

Any updated feedback? Looking at Simms, Fishpod and Orvis. Need one that will hold a long handled net.

Roo, I get it, douchey to carry a guide net while fishing alone...but for the life of me, I cannot easily net a big trout on my 8’8” 4wt with a 9ft leader on. My arms just ain’t long enough and the wife got me the Fishpond medium length net for Christmas.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I went with the fishpond hip pack that allows for the pack to slide without adjusting belt (switchback or something) and has a nice net holster (I have a nomad mid length). Not a sling pack but I have enjoyed it as it replaced a Patagonia sling pack. I needed the long net as well and just wasn’t working with the sling.