Adjustability of tech bindings for different boots/BSLs.

How adjustable are tech bindings to different boots? Specifically I'm wondering about G3 Ion (12) bindings.

As far as I know, in the past, the answer was not very (if really at all). But I'm wondering with newer bindings and forward pressure and such, is there some adjustability?

I want to buy a set of skis with bindings set for a 307mm BSL, and I have a 294mm BSL.... and am hoping I don't have to re-drill? (But I'm thinking I probably do).

It would be close, but you could probably make that happen with Vipec/Tecton if you mount the heel centered between those two BSL's. Test on boards to make sure. I made it work with 305 Cochise / 294 Alien RS.

If 307mm was the original BSL and heel piece was mounted dead center of its range, you probably need to re-mount. Ion fore/aft adjustment is reported as 22mm on skimo, 30 on knut's template. I mounted a pair for a buddy last night and would lean towards the 22, but I didn't actually measure.

Ion have a 22mm adjustment range.
    So if there is a mount for the Ion for 307mm in the middle of the range, shortest boot you could fit without redrill is 296mm. Maybe 294mm would work, maybe not. Not a big deal to move the toe or heel 1,5cm though.

Historically, many of the tech bindings had a larger adjustment range than a lot of alpine bindings.

if it DOESN'T work maybe find a kingpin demo?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    It would be close, but you could probably make that happen with Vipec/Tecton if you mount the heel centered between those two BSL's. Test on boards to make sure. I made it work with 305 Cochise / 294 Alien RS.
    Oh you can for sure make that work on vipec/ tecton. Mine are drilled so both my 298bsl and 312 bsl boots work, and I could even go a few MM's on each end of that.

I think the factory spec is either 15mm or 20mm of adjustability.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

dependent on your boots and the boots for the previous mount as well. Scarpas have the toe inserts further back, effectively shortening the BSL for the mount. Whereas on a lightweight boot with little or no toe welt, the toe inserts will be further forward relative to the overall BSL length.

Solly mtn tech or Atomic Backland has 30mm adjustment range iirc

Dyna rad 2 style heels have 45mm of adjustment according to the rep.