Dynafit Stomp Pads

Has anyone after taking the brakes off a Dynafit Rad 2 or Rotation binding ever added a stomp pad similar to the Hagan Freeride Spacer to add some dampness to the ride? What would prevent this from being possible?

Nothing, if you can fit it in there. Those things will make any binding ski way better. Icing on the heel sole can cause release issues if it's really tight (you'll release forward easy), but this is just a problem around lifts, as touring clears snow and ice with each step.

They'll make normal tech bindings ski more like a kingpin.

Awesome. Is it purely a power transfer improvement or dampness as well? Im mainly looking for dampness.

Curious as to real world reviews of this. I knew a avalanche forecaster that glued wine corks close to his heels to achieve a similar effect. Saw the hagan product on skimo.com the other day and it got me thinking. Very interested in actual reviews. I’ve gone to other options for powder touring. But I’d love to think my tlt speeds on Praxis yetis could ski better as they’re reserved for big steep lines in the spring.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    Nothing, if you can fit it in there. Those things will make any binding ski way better. Icing on the heel sole can cause release issues if it's really tight (you'll release forward easy), but this is just a problem around lifts, as touring clears snow and ice with each step.

They'll make normal tech bindings ski more like a kingpin.
    Personal experience? Sounds right, but too good to be true.

I have ATK Freerider 14 2.0 on my touring skis and last spring I tested one skis for couple of days which had ATK bindings without pads. I could definately feel difference on hard snow. Tails felt much more loose, and not in good way(skis are quite same kind, both very directional with long effective edge, no tail rocker). Haven't been able to try diffence in soft snow, but in hard snow there's quite a difference. I'm big guy, so I can easily make lot's of edge pressure, maybe the difference is not so big if you're on smaller side?

Talked to some guy who didn’t look big the other day, he had the spacer on his ATK Raider 12, and told me the same, that it makes a noticeable difference on hard snow.

Norseman has a pict somewhere of a stomp pad he made out of cutting board or sft, I would assume it was beng discussed in the G3 ZED thread
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Personal experience? Sounds right, but too good to be true.
    Yes, two seasons of use.

I also removed for testing because of the icing issue I mentioned. You could feel the heel floating like crazy.

I'm talking about power transfer, no added dampness, maybe less as the floatiness gives a little suspension, it just doesn't feel good. Kinpigns feel more substantial, but they don't actually have much clamp down force at the heel, so a wide block under the heel gives a similar effect, regarding power to the edges throughout the back half of the ski. Not saying it's better, but getting close.

The ATK/hagan/bd freeride spacer might be the best ski accessory on the market for pin bindings.

Awesome feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I am a bigger guy so I think I would appreciate the feel of a stomp pad. Do you think the Hagan spacer is universal enough to work with most bindings?

I’m going to start investing leftover mental powers in doing this on my sctt’s.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Norseman has a pict somewhere of a stomp pad he made out of cutting board or sft, I would assume it was beng discussed in the G3 ZED thread
    Made these 3 or 4 years ago. Designed in CAD, 3D printed... I think the plastic was similar to ABS (wanted to avoid Nylon due to its water absorption).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-12-17_08-07-09.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	260388

Name:	2018-12-17_08-07-16.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	260389

Name:	2018-12-17_08-07-31.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	260390

Name:	2018-12-17_08-07-54.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	260391

there ya go ^^

So its even engineerd cuz buddy is a real mutherfucking engineer eh

in spite of that engineering thing ... he has a personality
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Made these 3 or 4 years ago. Designed in CAD, 3D printed... I think the plastic was similar to ABS (wanted to avoid Nylon due to its water absorption).

Name:	2018-12-17_08-07-09.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	260388

Name:	2018-12-17_08-07-16.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	260389

Name:	2018-12-17_08-07-31.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	260390

Name:	2018-12-17_08-07-54.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	260391
    Awesome!

Also a ME but with access to a Machine shop. Thinking some Delrin AF for this as well (Teflon impregnated Delrin).

I assume this skis about as well as a heavier tech binding? This is a super minimal setup but looks sturdy.

Skimo has the hagan freeride thingy, anybody got beta on putting it to work?

Gravity always wins...

Y'all aren't worried about how this might effect release characteristics?

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Y'all aren't worried about how this might effect release characteristics?
    Oh, it was certainly a concern... but not a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Figured it would release similarly to most alpine clamps without a rotating heel. .
    While probably true -- alpine binders have lateral release in the toe.

I could see this making sense on a Grip-Walk style boot where you still have some hard rubber underneath, but on a full lugged sole it seems a bit dicey.

WildSnow has a post on removing Radical 2 brakes.

https://www.wildsnow.com/19850/remov...fit-radical-2/

Aside from altering release characteristics the Radical 2 and Rotation don’t seem like the best bindings for this mod. I’d consider the Speed Turn or something with less adjustability so the modded stomp pad can be placed closer to the heel (like Norseman’s pics show).

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    While probably true -- alpine binders have lateral release in the toe.

I could see this making sense on a Grip-Walk style boot where you still have some hard rubber underneath, but on a full lugged sole it seems a bit dicey.
    I edited my post to let shit simmer in here a bit more, but you caught it before. Not sure I'm ready to make sweeping declarations on the topic. Gear mods are always a personal choice in the end, eh.

But yeah, pins need to let the heel twist out first.

There always seemed to be enough crushed volcanic rock on my boots and jammed into every crevice to negate any proper release characteristics anyway. 😎

I wasn't worried about it when I ran this setup. Power transfer was part of the motivation... the other was having a mild riser for sloggy cone approaches.

The things worked well in both roles, but I decided that leashes are more trouble than they're worth and fucking annoying... so I changed to brakes and will continue to do so going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    Yes, two seasons of use.

I also removed for testing because of the icing issue I mentioned. You could feel the heel floating like crazy.

I'm talking about power transfer, no added dampness, maybe less as the floatiness gives a little suspension, it just doesn't feel good. Kinpigns feel more substantial, but they don't actually have much clamp down force at the heel, so a wide block under the heel gives a similar effect, regarding power to the edges throughout the back half of the ski. Not saying it's better, but getting close.

The ATK/hagan/bd freeride spacer might be the best ski accessory on the market for pin bindings.
    Interesting! Which binding did you have the spacer on? From the Hagan website is appears that it's a sliding AFD of sorts to address the issue of added friction changing release characteristics. Is that right? Also, do you still have the spacer? I see that it is adjustable in height but can't find the min and max heights.

Skimo says min height is 18.4mm.

Gravity always wins...

Btw. Stomp pad on my Atk:s is not high enough for my Lange xt free boots, with out grip walk soles. Maybe about 1mm too low.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Btw. Stomp pad on my Atk:s is not high enough for my Lange xt free boots, with out grip walk soles. Maybe about 1mm too low.
    I've also seen the issue with Solly MTN boots. More than 5mm.